The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe Licensing Question

simonclivehughes

I have Photoshop CS3 (and the CS4 update) bought for the Mac. I currently have it installed on my main machine, my MacBook Pro. I also use a MacBook for travel (nice and compact) and I'd like to know if it's possible to install on both machines. I know previously (in my Windows phase) that I could install PS on two machines (home and laptop) but the license in CS3 seems to indicate a single install. The program would only ever be used on one machine at one time. Curious if any of you have experience with this scenario?

Actually, what about Aperture also?

Cheers,

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I believe the license allows for two machines. I have my CS4 installed on my Mac Pro and my Macbook Pro. I think most of the major licenses these days assume a reasonable working scenario is for folks to use one computer in their office and one for on the road. So I think when you upgrade to CS4 you can do it on both machines.

However, I can't remember trying to run them both simultaneously, my bet is that it will work.

simonclivehughes

Thanks for the reply Tim. I find dealing with Adobe can be a little Draconian so I was reticent to just try it.

Any idea about Aperture?

Cheers,

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Can't say about Aperture since I don't use it. But honestly, I think every major piece of software I own allows the two installs. Even Quark XPress, which is the most "draconian" and anal software company I know when it comes to licensing.

Maybe the worst thing that could happen is either you aren't able to run them simultaneously or you have to contact them for an additional activation code. I say go ahead and load 'em up using your existing serial nos., etc. and see what happens.

stephengilbert

On CS3 you could use the program on two computers:

2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the important restrictions set forth in Section 2.5 below, the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed (“Primary User”) may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer. You may be required to contact Adobe in order to make a second copy.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/eula/photoshopcs3.html

simonclivehughes

Quick update to those who might be interested. Last night I successfully installed both CS4 (with Silver Efex Pro, Noise Ninja and Topaz) and Aperture on my other laptop. Thanks to those that replied.

Cheers,