The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 8 - Layer Order?

gebseng

Hi everyone,

I have a tricky problem:

STEP ONE: In C1v8, I added a new layer to a Leaf .IIQ raw file do do some heavy color correction (neutralizing a severe local pink color cast) with the Advand Color Editor tool. That worked fine.

STEP TWO: Next I wanted add a yellowish cast to this now almost neutral-gray layer. That's when things started to get complicated.

- first try: I tried the White Balance tool in the same layer. That did not work, because changing the white balance would also influence the advanced color edits

- second try: I made a new layer, copied the mask from the "C" layer and tried the White Balance tool. But, independent of the layer order (the "White Balance" layer being above or below the "Advanced Color Editor" layer, C1 always seems to apply white balance before Color Edits. So, no success here too.

- third try: I found a workaround: I exported the file, with the Advand Color Edit applied, as a 16bit TIFF. I then re-imported the TIFF into C1, copied the local adjustment from the RAW to the TIFF file, reset the Advand Color Edit, and then applied the White Balance to the same layer/mask. That worked fine, but seems unnecessarily complicated (since I have to repeat these steps with numerous files)

Of course, I could easily do the minor local white balance (STEP ONE) in Photoshop after exporting from C1, but then I would have to redraw the local mask, since I see no way of exporting the alpha channel data from C1.

And no, I was not able to achieve the yellowish cast using the Hue Rotation slider in the Advanced Color Editor...

I am grateful for any suggestions or ideas (I also can provide the file if you PM me)

thanks,

geb

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Stupid question, but can you get to the final effect you're after with just color editor layer? IOW do you absolutely need to color correct first, then add yellow, or can you just locally edit to the desired result?

Would probably help some if we saw the image and effect your are after.

gebseng

Jack,

Thanks for taking an interest! I just copied an .eip file into my dropbox at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3949609/CF004076.eip

When you look at the Local Adjustments of Variant 2, you will see a layer named "floor". This layer is used to remove the strong pink color. Now, what I would like to do next is adding a yellow hue (similar to the unaffected wooden floor) to the now desaturated parts of the floor. That's were I can't achieve anything by adding another layer.

best,

geb