The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

need help with monitor selection - NEC vs EIZO vs Apple

menos

I am in a bit of a squeeze at the moment as I urgently need to purchase new monitors as I have delayed procurement for almost a year now.

I run a Mac only environment with several Macbook Pro computers around the company.
My current main working machine is a 15" Macbook Pro Retina as of it's mobility and all-around usability between locations and different tasks.

My machine for heavy processing and prototype work is a late 2013 Mac Pro 6core.

I run the Mac Pro with a three screen workspace currently for CAD design and prototyping but would like to extend this environment by one additional monitor for critical photography post processing.

The monitor should be no smaller than 27" and no larger than 30".
No 4K monitors please - I figure the tech is not arrived at best performance and price yet and will go for 4K at the next round.

Connectivity should allow for the monitor to extend thunderbolt (or at a minimum several USB 3.0 for external drives, accessories, etc) and it should allow to attach at least two machines at the same time without unplugging cables (Mac Pro attached at all times, Mac Book Pro attached and switched to when needed).

The switch between both machines on the monitor should be quick and painless (ideally a one click button affair).

For connecting the display to the machines I need both display port and HDMI (I prefer a 27" monitor like the NEC over a 4K display as it can be pushed by the Mac Pro without issues while the other three monitors are still running).

I absolutely DESPISE touch control buttons or anything consumer grade alike. I need proper hard-click buttons (ideally on the front rim to be accessible even when stacking displays.
It should be a current (not outdated or replaced) display as I leave the option open to add an identical second display in 2015.

Integrated calibration workflow would be great. I use Spyder hardware and basICColor software at the moment but am flexible if monitor native hard/soft is equal or better.

My very first choice of monitors after a few weeks of search through the internet is this NEC 27" display:

NEC PA272W Monitor: What it Looks Like, What's in the Box

It looks the overall greatest package, exactly fulfilling my needs.

The only one issue I have with this NEC display is that the authorized dealers around Shanghai/ China only offer a throat-cutting highway robbery deal, selling the display for about DOUBLE :wtf: the asking price as it retails in the US.

I look for alternative displays at same level quality or better (or a better source for the NEC in China ?).

Budget is 1500 - 2500 EUR (1,875 - 3,126 USD).
If there is a display that retails at 3000 EUR though and is exceptionally better value as of manufacturers warranty, reputation for long life, speed of I/O ports, number of I/O ports, display specs, etc … I would not be turned off also.

I have worked in the past with pro grade EIZO and Sony CRTs which where the business back then - truly bomb proof - are these manufacturers still as they used to be?

fotoism

I would worry about technical support in China on any of these monitors (should anything goes wrong) before their prices. Better check that out, too.

danielmoore

I've been an Eizo user for 11 years now. My oldest is a CG-18 which is still kicking. Consider this my ringing endorsement.

Jack, do you think you could upload the monitor profile your presently using to a dropbox or email me so I can compare it to my own in Colorthink. I'm running a CG-241W (about 5 years old) and am thinking of upgrading again to a 27".

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Be happy to if I remember when I'm back in my office on Monday -- BUT! The newer Eizo's use an internal converter and then export a profile for the system to use based on that, so not certain you will be comparing apples to apples...

menos

Phil, thanks for the comment - yes, this is an important concern as of the general long life of this piece of gear, hence my preference of buying authorized, rather than hunting for low priced alternatives (It would be more than easy to order one of these NECs from the US for 1200-1600 USD, import it, pay tax+duty and save some money from Chinese Retail - this is not an option for me though).

Jack, thanks for the Eizo comment. This is how I always felt about the Eizo monitors back in the old days.
Unfortunately it shows that the Eizo equivalent 27" wide gamut monitors are similarly overpriced to the NECs in China mainland !@#$%

If I find no other high quality alternative I will probably have to get either of these, …

Is there any alternative to the 27" NEC and Eizo wide gamut monitors?

I read anecdotally that the "glow free" Eizo display panel of the CG series are bettering other monitors yet in diverse tests everyone seems to sing for the NEC 27" panel.

(personally, design and spec do make me sway for the NEC, especially with its really well sorted menu system and functionality)

How do the calibration compare between the NEC and Eizo (if going for either of these I will go for the full suite for the most integrated calibration workflow)?

I would like to hear from people who might have played with both or have considered both with their up/down sides.