The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Calibrated monitors

jfirneno

Greetings Folks:
I usually hang around the Sony forum but this is definitely off-topic for there. I am looking to get a 27" monitor with accurate color calibration. I have heard that NEC and Eizo have some very good ones but I'm far from an expert on the subject. Also I am interested in a color calibrator that will work on the selected monitor without me having to become an expert in software management. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Eizo.

Every few years I do an extensive review of available monitors and Eizo is the only one that's consistently impressed me. They are rarely the least expensive, and there are many "very good" options at lower prices, but Eizo is the best.

Easy tests you can do to help you decide:
- what do major high-end retouching houses use?
- can you put three monitors next to each other, and display the same image and have a match across all three?
- can you draw a red-only or gray-only gradient at an angle across the entire diagonal of the monitor and see smooth continuous tone with no off-colors (e.g. magenta in the shadow, or a color in the quarter tone)?

(from a biased source: we sell Eizo, but not NEC)

stngoldberg

Every few years I do an extensive review of available monitors and Eizo is the only one that's consistently impressed me. They are rarely the least expensive, and there are many "very good" options at lower prices, but Eizo is the best.

Easy tests you can do to help you decide:
- what do major high-end retouching houses use?
- can you put three monitors next to each other, and display the same image and have a match across all three?
- can you draw a red-only or gray-only gradient at an angle across the entire diagonal of the monitor and see smooth continuous tone with no off-colors (e.g. magenta in the shadow, or a color in the quarter tone)?

I am not biased... The self calibrating Eizo is a great aid to a perfectly color balanced print

Stanley

Quentin_Bargate

I have just acquired a Dell UP2715K, which is a 27" 5k monitor, although as my graphics card only has one Displayport connection, it is currently running at 4k resolution (3840 x 2160). I calibrated it with a Spyder 4. It's a very nice monitor for not ridiculous money.