The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HELP: Images are Opening Up in Portrait Professional

rollsman44

I insert my SD card in card reader and put on my desktop these images in a folder on my desktop. When I go to Open an image from my folder on my desktop it automatically opens with Portrait professional. How do I get the images just to Open and see them. Thank you I appreciate any help with this

archiM44

Mac or Windows? If Mac right click on the file, choose "Get Info" and then under "open With" enter your program of choice.
If Windows I forgot since I haven't used Windows since 1998

PicChick

It sounds like you probably have it set as your default photo viewer.

If you're on Windows you can right click on any image > Open With > Choose Default Program and pick which one you want to use.

Godfrey

Mac or Windows? If Mac right click on the file, choose "Get Info" and then under "open With" enter your program of choice.
If Windows I forgot since I haven't used Windows since 1998
If on a Mac, you can quick look any JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD by clicking on the image in the Finder then pressing the space bar. Same action works for many raw files as well (I've tried DNG and ORF).

If you press the up- or down-arrow keys, you can walk through the contents of a folder. If you select a group of files and then press the space bar, you can also click a grid button in the quick look window and see the group as thumbnails laid out in a grid.

You can open all the same files with Preview.app for viewing too...
There are many ways to "just look at the photos."

G

rollsman44

Hi Godfrey, you helped me last time with this problem. But now I purchased a Sony A99 and I tried what you recommended before but with this camera. When I try to go to Preview it say" Preview Does Not support this file ( ARW) Raw
Hope you can help me out or any other forum member.

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey, you helped me last time with this problem. But now I purchased a Sony A99 and I tried what you recommended before but with this camera. When I try to go to Preview it say" Preview Does Not support this file ( ARW) Raw
Hope you can help me out or any other forum member.
Unfortunately, if the raw file isn't supported, it can't be opened. If you're on an older version of OSX or the RAWCamera framework, you'll need to update. Check for compatibility on the Apple website...

G