The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson printer incorrectly reporting ink level

erudolph

My Epson 3880 is about two years old. This year, twice now, it appeared that the Photo Black ink was totally clogged. The remaining ink indicator showed about 50% remaining. Both times, after running several cleaning cycles to no avail, I removed the cartridge and saw it was empty.

FWIW, to avoid reporting errors of this sort, Epson recommends changing ink carts with the printer powered on, which is what I always do.

Anyone have a similar experience?

I also have an Epson 3880. I have not had that specific problem but my printer has twice reported a missing cartridge on power up. :wtf:

I simply remove and reinstall the offending cartridge and all is well. I suspect that the connections between the cartridge and printer are becoming oxidized and a simple cleaning may be in order. In your case, because the printer is not reading the cartridge ink level correctly, replacing the empty cartridge may well fix your issue. It doesn't seem as though the electrical contact interface between the printer/cartridge on the 3880 is a very robust design. Hope this helps.

Paul

erudolph

Thanks Paul. I actually meant this post to be in the Printing & Output forum but it seems, posting on an iPad, that I missed.