The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Caution: C1 4.6.1 hanging/sluggish on my Mac Pro!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thought I'd caution others just in case:

Not sure what's up, but C1 4.6.1 seems to have a bug. It did not launch on the first try after the install. It did on the second try, but took like 3 minutes. Now it launches faster, but still takes about a full minute, then is slow on rendering the file images too -- like 3 or 4 times as long as 4.6... Once the program is launched and the files rendered, it appears to work about the same as 4.6, however I have NOT tried it tethered yet, just used it to process files in a prior session.

Oh, FWIW my Mac Pro is an 8-core 3.2 with 16G ram.

Cheers,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Downgrade to 4.6, it only crashes on me once every hour or two.
It is a bit more stable, but 4.6.1 is really pretty weak as it crashes on me about every five minutes.
I have also noticed (unscientifically) that the less going on in terms of other application loads, the more stable it seems.
The exception to this is when the computer is allowed to sleep, which crashes c1 immediatly.
In the rare case when C1 has not crashed for a long time, if allowed to continue running, will crash without further stimulation after a few hours.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, I decided to do a fresh restart on my machine -- which is not forced or even suggested by C1 after the install -- and it seems to have helped a bit. I'll keep you posted...

jonoslack

HI Jack
I've timed it, it takes 12 seconds to launch on my humble macbook pro 15 with 4Gb. It does crash though - but usually only on startup with a card inserted.

Aperture takes 7 seconds . . . and it doesn't crash.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, I ended up un-installing 4.6.1 until they can make it stable. In addition to being sluggish, it would not render previews crisply, hanging on the pixellated version if a change was made. I reinstalled 4.6 which was no picnic either, as it began pretty unstable too and I had to uninstall/reinstall a few times to get it working right. Anyway, after a half day dorking with it, I'm about back to where I was before loading 4.6.1 in the first place :banghead:. Turns out there is a known issue with 8-core Macs on this release and they are working on it. What a cluster **** :angry:. My recommendation is to stay away form it entirely until they get the bugs out.

scott

A quick question for anyone out there that can give me some advice. I searched the site but could not find a link. I use an M8 but have never bothered to load the Capture 1 software that came with the camera. I've used Adobe DNG, but wondering if I am missing something with the capture 1 processing....I am not even sure if it will work with Mac Leopard though and if I load it am I going to be in for a tough learning curve on that software? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

etrigan63

Jack, try App Zapper to remove a cantankerous program. You drag the app you want to App Zapper to remove to it and it tracks down all of the little files, folders and plists left in its wake. Well worth the $19.

robsteve

Subscriber
Jack:

I ran into crashing problems with 4.6.1 today. Support suggested a complete uninstall and then reinstalling 4.6.

In my case, I was playing around with the lens distortion slider. If you moved the slider only once it was fine, but if you moved it back and forth, the program crashed.

Installing 4.6 seemed to have cured it.

Robert

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Robert,

Yep, that's what I did, but still had some issues to sort out after the fresh install revert to 4.6.

I usually wait a few days on software updates to confirm they're stable before jumping in on them. This time I waited a week but apparently that wasn't enough time...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Aside from the recent hiccup noted in this thread, C1 will be fine in Leopard. Many users prefer C1 for their M8 files. I know I do. It seems to pull something extra from the Leica files. I highly recommend it if you're shooting the M8. The learning curve is no better or worse than most other software of this type. Try it!

A quick question for anyone out there that can give me some advice. I searched the site but could not find a link. I use an M8 but have never bothered to load the Capture 1 software that came with the camera. I've used Adobe DNG, but wondering if I am missing something with the capture 1 processing....I am not even sure if it will work with Mac Leopard though and if I load it am I going to be in for a tough learning curve on that software? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

robsteve

Subscriber
Hi Robert,

I usually wait a few days on software updates to confirm they're stable before jumping in on them. This time I waited a week but apparently that wasn't enough time...
I didn't do the update, it was what I downloaded when I purchased the Pro version last week via the M8 upgrade pricing.

Robert

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yep, it was released the end of the week before last. I gave it all last week and heard nothing bad, so loaded it up... I won't be that stupid in the future.

scott

Aside from the recent hiccup noted in this thread, C1 will be fine in Leopard. Many users prefer C1 for their M8 files. I know I do. It seems to pull something extra from the Leica files. I highly recommend it if you're shooting the M8. The learning curve is no better or worse than most other software of this type. Try it!
Thank you for your comments. I will give it a whirl.

Scott