The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apple Drops Support for Aperture

mathomas

I guess the handwriting was kind of on the wall, but today I got an email from Apple informing that they're no longer developing Aperture, and that I'm now supposed to use "Photos".

This is really crappy news for me. I was an early adopter, and have 160Gb+ of images in my library. The money I spent on plugins is now lost to me if I convert to something else. I don't really want to convert to something worse. I guess I'll just start over, with Lightroom.

Anyone else pissed?

Here's a link about the news: Apple promoting new Photos app to Aperture customers in email blast | 9to5Mac

iiiNelson

I received that email as well.

I'm not pissed because I switched back to Lightroom 4 from Aperture 3 after Apple started getting slower with the updates. The good news is that many of the Aperture plug-ins were bundled with LR plug-ins in the past. Well I guess now is as good a time as any to try out all the Raw Convertors to see what works best for you. I think most come with an Aperture import tool.

monza

It's not like Aperture will stop working. I plan to keep using it unless there is a compelling reason to switch to the new app.

mathomas

I received that email as well.

I'm not pissed because I switched back to Lightroom 4 from Aperture 3 after Apple started getting slower with the updates. The good news is that many of the Aperture plug-ins were bundled with LR plug-ins in the past. Well I guess now is as good a time as any to try out all the Raw Convertors to see what works best for you. I think most come with an Aperture import tool.
Yeah, I was thinking I'd go with Lightroom, at least for future work, since I've used it before when I rented a Leica Monochrom. I found Lightroom to be pretty easy to learn and very light on its feet -- in other words I liked it. However, I've been looking into Capture One and it's actually pretty compelling as an alternative.

mathomas

It's not like Aperture will stop working. I plan to keep using it unless there is a compelling reason to switch to the new app.
Yes, as a software developer myself, I understand that. But I also understand that bugs won't be fixed, new features won't be added, performance improvements won't be made, workflow won't be improved, RAW support for new formats will suffer, plugin makers won't target it any more, etc., etc.

I'm still figuring out how I'll deal with the above over time, but like you say, it's not like Aperture stopped working when the announcement went out.

mathomas

Does it support new cameras like the E-M5 Mark II?
I see that they just added support for the Sony A7II (which I've been waiting for) to the latest update. I didn't notice whether the new Oly is in there or not. Hopefully if not in this release, it will sneak into a final patch?

iiiNelson

I'm not 100% sure but I think Apple's camera updates are on a system wide level with Apple products.

Regarding C1P8 it is much improved compared previous versions for me. The catalogs actually work correctly, the processing engine is much improved, tethering support is better there, and there aren't nearly as many glitches/bugs. I've been using C1P8 alongside PS CC for IR work and also using it more since I've gone 100% Sony for my main cameras. It's worth a trial since you'll be using Sony as well but Lightroom still does fine and has many important advantages IMO over C1P8 (like filters, lens profiles, fewer glitches on updates, and faster support for new cameras/lenses.)

Another option that seems to enhance LR's processing engine is DXO Optics Pro. It works as a native plug-in now as well since version 9.5 I believe.

mathomas

I'm not 100% sure but I think Apple's camera updates are on a system wide level with Apple products.

You may be right. Actually, I'm sure you are -- I did the update on my work computer, which doesn't have Aperture, and it still listed the camera compatibility updates. So, that's one item that shouldn't be a problem once Aperture is truly unsupported. Thanks!

iiiNelson

You may be right. Actually, I'm sure you are -- I did the update on my work computer, which doesn't have Aperture, and it still listed the camera compatibility updates. So, that's one item that shouldn't be a problem once Aperture is truly unsupported. Thanks!
Now what isn't unheard of is Apple specifically writing code in software to not extend benefits/software extensions to certain pieces of software. That way you will be forced to assimilate into the ecosystem within a certain level of time. I hope this isn't the case though and you can continue using what you like with full support.

Rachael Alice

Not Available
I am not passed because Lightroom is best alternative of Aperture. When i switch from Aperture to Lightroom then i notice that Lightroom have as many feature as Aperture offer. Now i am femilier with Lightroom.