The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Okay Okay - Aperture to Capture One 8?

k-hawinkler

I found this video very helpful to get a good overview of how Capture One Pro is structured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KqYfjVt50

emr

Hi There
Well - the purchase price is no issue - I have a previous version, and the upgrade price is very reasonable . . . The expense is the time taken in learning it properly!
Wow, it seems that one can upgrade pretty cheaply not only from a previous Pro version, but also from Express versions, for 69 € in the Euro zone. The Express has been given for free many times in different promotions.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store/PurchaseDetailsPage.aspx

EDIT: Blah. 85,50 € with VAT.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono, you're a Mac user, right? Isn't RAW support in the Macs on the OS level and not individual applications? Or does that apply to Aperture, iPhoto and other Apple applications only?
Hi There
yes - that only applies to Apple applications - Lightroom, Capture One etc. have their own recipes.

All the best
Jono

emr

I wonder what Apple dropping Aperture actually means. Of course no more new features or versions. Probably no bug corrections either. But for how long does the current version work in future OS versions? Will adding Photos raw support for new cameras also work for the good ole' Aperture?

jonoslack

I wonder what Apple dropping Aperture actually means. Of course no more new features or versions. Probably no bug corrections either. But for how long does the current version work in future OS versions? Will adding Photos raw support for new cameras also work for the good ole' Aperture?
HI There
Yes - adding new cameras will work for Aperture - at least until Yosemite's replacement - no need to jump straight away (and I've certainly not burned any boats). It's perfectly possible that Photos will come up to scratch by then as well. Here's Hoping (I'm getting a bit tired of their slow support of new cameras though - and especially Leica cameras).

Thanks for the link about converting Aperture libraries - long time before I do that, but I've used the tool to convert my Lightroom library from this year, and it worked really well. quick and painless.

D

Deleted member 19976

With Apple solutions, raw file support is implemented at the operating system level. Like Jono said, new file support for Photos will work for Aperture too.

The issue is that at one time a new OS X release will kill Aperture compatibility. We will not know when that will happen, either with a minor or a major update.

Apple is pushing Aperture users to Photos. Once there (Aperture users) percentage is below a certain threshold, they (Apple) will stop maintaining the application. With their speed of software development, the upcoming 10.10.3 update is the first nail at Apertures coffin.

Godfrey

Apple is pushing Aperture users to Photos. Once there (Aperture users) percentage is below a certain threshold, they (Apple) will stop maintaining the application. With their speed of software development, the upcoming 10.10.3 update is the first nail at Apertures coffin.
Apple sent the entire licensed Aperture user base a note already (actually at least two, to my recollection) announcing the plan to discontinue Aperture. They've already stopped maintenance and development, based on what I read in the recent one. They also worked with Adobe and other vendors to assist them with migration from Aperture for those higher end customers who need more than Photos can provide in the short term.

I have had Aperture for a long time. It did a good job but I never liked using it much; Lightroom's workflow and UI is simpler and more to my liking.

I've tried Capture One several times, most recently the version 8 trial, and while it can do a good job I find it overly complex and more similar to Aperture than Lightroom. I mean, in the two videos pointed at by this links in this thread, the first is thirty minutes long, twenty of which are spent just in "how do I configure a workspace so that I can see what controls are what", the other is an hour long and it isn't until about the forty-fifth minute that it gets past the "ok, you've imported some photos".

To me, that's pretty bad. I learned the basics of how to use Lightroom (import, organize, develop, export and print) in five minutes without any training videos or assistance. it was immediately accessible and understandable, to me at least, and its feature set and capabilities has continued to expand in sensible ways. It does nearly everything I need to do in basic image processing now, with only the higher end creative stuff (borders, complex compositing, etc) left to more sophisticated pixel editors.

Different strokes for different folks.

I've been playing with the Apple Photos beta and actually find it much more to my liking than iPhoto or Aperture. Just like the revamped Pages app, it's a bit simplistic now on first introduction, but I think it will grow and scale nicely with the latest capability in the OS for app extensions. My main photo workflow continues to be Lightroom.

Different strokes for different folks. It's all good. :)

G

iiiNelson

Apple sent the entire licensed Aperture user base a note already (actually at least two, to my recollection) announcing the plan to discontinue Aperture. They've already stopped maintenance and development, based on what I read in the recent one. They also worked with Adobe and other vendors to assist them with migration from Aperture for those higher end customers who need more than Photos can provide in the short term.

I have had Aperture for a long time. It did a good job but I never liked using it much; Lightroom's workflow and UI is simpler and more to my liking.

I've tried Capture One several times, most recently the version 8 trial, and while it can do a good job I find it overly complex and more similar to Aperture than Lightroom. I mean, in the two videos pointed at by this links in this thread, the first is thirty minutes long, twenty of which are spent just in "how do I configure a workspace so that I can see what controls are what", the other is an hour long and it isn't until about the forty-fifth minute that it gets past the "ok, you've imported some photos".

To me, that's pretty bad. I learned the basics of how to use Lightroom (import, organize, develop, export and print) in five minutes without any training videos or assistance. it was immediately accessible and understandable, to me at least, and its feature set and capabilities has continued to expand in sensible ways. It does nearly everything I need to do in basic image processing now, with only the higher end creative stuff (borders, complex compositing, etc) left to more sophisticated pixel editors.

Different strokes for different folks.

I've been playing with the Apple Photos beta and actually find it much more to my liking than iPhoto or Aperture. Just like the revamped Pages app, it's a bit simplistic now on first introduction, but I think it will grow and scale nicely with the latest capability in the OS for app extensions. My main photo workflow continues to be Lightroom.

Different strokes for different folks. It's all good. :)

G
What you described was my initial aversion to Capture One. The "NEED" to watch videos to learn how to perform the basics. I think that aspect of an otherwise great RAW processor is absurd. I don't always make or have time to watch YouTube videos to do things that should be quick and easy like simple editing... and no attempting to sell me a $99+ class for the new software I bought from a "Master" isn't a viable response IMO.

The other issues (and its a big one) was the glitchy nature of older versions prior to version 8. Really the main thing that drew me to even try version 8 was the increased Sony support and the ability to work with Full Spectrum/IR images (once I decided to convert my A7R) much easier in C1P8 than I could in Lightroom. I still maintain a Adobe CC account for Photoshop but I can actually see myself shifting away from Lightroom... Slightly. Lightroom is still vastly superior to C1 for printing IMO.

I'm willing to deal with the steeper learning curve (within reason which Phase One borders on absurd with) but software that constant crashes will swiftly get deleted from the hard drive. As long as they keep the software working and mostly bug free I will use it.

mathomas

This conversation bums me out. I've installed the demo version of both C1 and LR, and using either one of them feels "all thumbs" to me. I've used Aperture for so long I don't even have to think about how I'm using it -- it just happens. Freaking Apple :-(

k-hawinkler

This conversation bums me out. I've installed the demo version of both C1 and LR, and using either one of them feels "all thumbs" to me. I've used Aperture for so long I don't even have to think about how I'm using it -- it just happens. Freaking Apple :-(
Mike, I know the feeling, but learning new things can have its rewards.
Unfortunately it takes time that one would rather spend on other things.
This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KqYfjVt50 actually helped me a bit to get a good overview of Capture One Pro. I had to watch it several times to take it all in. But that's just me. Good luck. I also would be interested on your take of this video. Thanks.

iiiNelson

Don't get bummed out. It's just users reporting their experiences. That being said I started with LR2, moved to Aperture 3, then back to LR for version 4 because I got sick of the slow Apple updates/wanted improved lens profiles.

The takeaway is that any raw processor will do a decent enough job alone. All "require" PS or Elements to do some higher level functions like layers.

Hi Matt,

And I feel the same when I start to use Aperture.

We get used to what we know and its always tricky to move out your comfort zone.

I try to make that as easy as possible with Webinars, Videos and not to mention our blog.

Otherwise, don't be afraid to approach a Phase One partner for one to one tuition.

David