The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Okay Okay - Aperture to Capture One 8?

jonoslack

Hi There
I've looked at Photos, and whilst there are some nice things, it's no substitute for Aperture.
So - I know Lightroom quite well, and I've been using it this year instead of Aperture. . . . but I can't love it - especially the 'clone' tool is rubbish, and I use it quite a lot for removing unwanted elements in images. I'm not really happy with the cataloguing either.

Worth mentioning that I've always used Aperture with 'referenced' files rather than 'managed'

I've used Capture One in the past, but hadn't realised how much they had upgraded the DAM functionality.

What do you think?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm using a referenced Capture One catalog for all my Phase and Sony files. It works quite well. Non referenced libraries are easier to relocate, but limit cross-processing.

I load each shoot into a Session, work on the files there, and then import the Session into the Referenced Catalog for better searching. That may be a wildly suboptimal, and I'm open to suggestions.

But the Catalog feature in v8 seems quite stable.

--Matt

jlm

Workshop Member
don't think Capture One has the ability to work on raws for the new OMD E5 Mark II...YET

iiiNelson

Capture One 8 Pro is a huge improvement in the cataloging department as in it actually works now. Do the 60 day trial and see if it'll work for you.

jonoslack

Capture One 8 Pro is a huge improvement in the cataloging department as in it actually works now. Do the 60 day trial and see if it'll work for you.
Hi There
Well - the purchase price is no issue - I have a previous version, and the upgrade price is very reasonable . . . The expense is the time taken in learning it properly!

I've been fiddling about, I'm getting more and more impressed.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I even took the drastic step of getting printing to work from C1 :eek:

--Matt

(It's not straightforward - settings have to match in a few places. It's important to follow the steps in the online documentation exactly as outlined.)

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
i still use PS on C1 output .tif files to do final dust removal and image sizing and printing, though i do use dust removal to some extent in C1

iiiNelson

Has anyone used Media Pro?
I tried to use it with C1P7... It was very glitchy so I promptly deleted it from my computer. Maybe they've improved it since though. This was about a year ago prior to C1P8 being released.

cam

I tried to use it with C1P7... It was very glitchy so I promptly deleted it from my computer. Maybe they've improved it since though. This was about a year ago prior to C1P8 being released.
Thank you!

Capture One is, and pretty much always has been, my RAW processor of choice and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. (Pleased Jono has seen the light :D I've been haranguing him for years!)

However, I'd like to have a proper DAM to wrangle all my photos (years worth) and I'm not sure C1P8 is enough -- though it would definitely make things easier!

Guess I'll download a trial of Media Pro and see if it plays nice (or not) with my new computer... I'm really trying to avoid going to Lightroom for my DAM (I'm not fond of the processing), but think I'll need more than C1P unless they integrate the two programs.

Godfrey

I have no stick in the C1 game; I use LR and get what I want out of it, I like the way it works, and through several iterations of C1 test drives I didn't see much that I could do better than I do with LR. Whatever makes you happy. But regards DAM ...

Guess I'll download a trial of Media Pro and see if it plays nice (or not) with my new computer...
I used Media Pro until Microsoft bought it. Then MS ruined it, IMO: turned into buggy crap. Luckily, that was right about when Lightroom was released (2006-2007), so I just moved my files into LR and deleted Media Pro. I've not looked back since. Luckily, LR does a decent enough job of it for my needs; I have no problem using it to manage a 300,000+ image file library spanning three terabytes of data.

If I wasn't using Lightroom, I'm not sure what app I'd be using for DAM at this point. I've had some interaction with Cumulus at work, but it seems much more than I need for my personal work.

G

cam

I have no stick in the C1 game; I use LR and get what I want out of it, I like the way it works, and through several iterations of C1 test drives I didn't see much that I could do better than I do with LR. Whatever makes you happy. But regards DAM ...

I used Media Pro until Microsoft bought it. Then MS ruined it, IMO: turned into buggy crap. Luckily, that was right about when Lightroom was released (2006-2007), so I just moved my files into LR and deleted Media Pro. I've not looked back since. Luckily, LR does a decent enough job of it for my needs; I have no problem using it to manage a 300,000+ image file library spanning three terabytes of data.

If I wasn't using Lightroom, I'm not sure what app I'd be using for DAM at this point. I've had some interaction with Cumulus at work, but it seems much more than I need for my personal work.

G
Cheers, Godfrey!

(And apologies, Jono, for somewhat -- okay, a lot -- hijacking your thread :eek:)

Lightroom does not float my boat as far as processing, pretty much for any camera I currently use... However, it may be my DAM. Thank you for sharing your experiences with Media Pro (htf do you import or access keywords???) and mentioning Cumulus.... I am currently paying for nearly a decade of digital photography with no organisation whatsoever (unless you count shoebox files with cameras, lenses, and keywords used for folders).

iiiNelson

Thank you!

Capture One is, and pretty much always has been, my RAW processor of choice and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. (Pleased Jono has seen the light :D I've been haranguing him for years!)

However, I'd like to have a proper DAM to wrangle all my photos (years worth) and I'm not sure C1P8 is enough -- though it would definitely make things easier!

Guess I'll download a trial of Media Pro and see if it plays nice (or not) with my new computer... I'm really trying to avoid going to Lightroom for my DAM (I'm not fond of the processing), but think I'll need more than C1P unless they integrate the two programs.
I've started using C1P8 more as it works better natively with Sony files and my FS converted A7R as well. I actually am using the DAM features of C1P8 for these as well because the DAM portion actually works now. I still have LR and PS because I have the bulk of my pics over there but C1P8 is growing on me since they've made it a lot more LR-like in stability and features. I don't know that you will see performance issues with larger libraries but I generally keep my pics on an external HDD for storage. Hardly ever an issue with USB3 ports since it runs as fast as some data buses.

jonoslack

HI Everyone
Cam, you didn't hijack the thread, you woke it up :)

Silas and I had both reluctantly plumped for LR last year - and I've been using it exclusively since (as a DAM as well as a processor - to be honest I think you MUST use the same program for both, otherwise workflow becomes really complex).

We were both 'happy' enough . . . but just loading CO 8 was a real relief - I'm with the DAM as well Tre - sure, there may be glitches coming up , but the filters etc. work really well. We've both paid for the upgrade.

The local adjustments and the clone/heal tool are brilliant - much better than LR or Aperture. What's more, there are loads of useful free tutorials, and technical support answer questions almost immediately.

I'm thinking I've found a new home (I'm sure there'll be a leak in the roof, but it's seeming great right now!).

iiiNelson

Jono I'm glad you found a home and hopefully they'll add support to your EM5-II.

I actually like the "natural" setting and the HDR settings to do less extreme (read: much smoother) shadow and highlight recovery. I think LR5 does it better for extreme cases where you completely flubbed the exposure at the risk of digital artifacts beyond that 60-70 slider mark.

For light corrections I prefer to use C1P8 though and again the color seems a bit more consistent with Sony cameras since they re-profiled them. It's sort of like the connection Adobe has with Leica. That being said I do miss some of my old filters from LR5 but I've created some of my own styles that I like in C1P8. Most importantly I am glad the software isn't as glitchy compared to past versions which resulted in my abandoning the software altogether.