The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cornerfix For Dummies

Maggie O

HELP!

Since I don't yet have a coded adapter for my nifty new CV 15mm lens, I downloaded Cornerfix to deal with the vignetting. I followed the instructions and created a profile for the lens, but I must be doing something wrong.

When I bring the new CF flies up in Capture One LE, they're all at least two stops underexposed and, oddly enough, with highlights that are blown all to hell and back. :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Now, if I open the CF files in LightZone, they exposure seems to be OK, but the highlights are still sort of blown out, without looking explicitly blown out. :angry::cussing::wtf:

What to do?!?!?! :cry::cry::cry:

scott kirkpatrick

The problem is that the different Raw developers each misunderstand the dng files that CornerFix presents in different ways, so there are options to work around it. The simplest is if you start with a Leica M8 file, select 8bit compressed output format. Then every tool recognizes it as a standard leica file. The only real reason to go to 16 bit output is if you get some faint bands in the corners from vignette correcting shadow values. But if you do want to stay with 16 bit, the choices are:

for Capture One4.0, there's an option to increase everything x4 (since CO4 fails to see a white point level indicator when its current release reads a dng -- they promise to fix this)

for ACR-based (PSCS and LR) you're OK with either setting.

for Aperture, use the standard 16bit setting.

scott

sandymc

The Mac version has no such menu.
Maggie,

The Mac forces a slightly different menu structure to Windows, but all the same options are available. On the Mac its CornerFix -> Preferences -> Compression

For Capture One LE, you want: "Level Compression" enabled, "Lossless (Huffman) Compression" disabled, and "Capture One V4 Compatibility" disabled

For Capture One V4, you want "Level Compression" disabled, "Lossless (Huffman) Compression" disabled, and "Capture One V4 Compatibility" enabled

Sandy

sandymc

That's not an option on the version I have. Which is odd, since I d/l'ed it all of two days ago.
Ummm, ok, check up what the version number says under CornerFix -> About CornerFix. It should be 0.9.1.9......

If it doesn't, check what the name of the zip file is that you downloaded - it should also have 0.9.1.9 in it....

Regards,

Sandy

Maggie O

Hummm, Cornerfix doesn't seem to really be fixing the corners for me. Here's a shot from yesterday, processed in Cornerfix/C1 and then in ACR CS3. The lens profile matches the lens and aperture (CV15mm @ f16) and lack of IR cut filter, so once again, I'm stumped. The difference is pretty dramatic, as you can see:

sandymc

Maggie,

Looks over over-corrected to me. First, check the Luminance and Chroma settings in preferences panel - they should usually be 1.

If that doesn't help, then you have a problem with the profile - run me through how exactly you generated it?

Sandy

Maggie O

OK, both of those settings are at 1. Should I dial one or the other down to 0?

To generate the profile, I photographed some new-fallen, evenly lit snow on the ground with my M8, 15mm lens @ f16 and then loaded it into Cornerfix and clicked on the "Create Profile" menu item. I named the file and saved it to disk.

sandymc

Maggie,

The settings of 1 should be fine. I'd be more suspicious of the snow picture; I suspect it wasn't as evenly colored as it may have appeared. Suggest you try a grey card or similar; you also need to make sure the lens detection settings are the same for both the reference shot and the shots you want to correct

Sandy

sandymc

Maggie,

Here's a profile for a CV15.............

If this gives you significantly better results, then it's definitely an issues with the reference image

Sandy

Maggie O

Well, after processing a bunch of images, I can say that your profile did the trick! I had to set Chroma to 0 to get rid of red vignetting, but once I did, the files looked great!

Thank you so much, Sandy!