The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Pro 8.2 Released!

(Cross Posted on various Forums)

Hey All,

I just wanted to post a quick note about today’s launch of Capture One Pro 8.2.

Normally I don’t make a point of advertising ‘dot’ releases but we have added a very exciting new tool in Capture One.

The Color Balance tool (whilst existing in previous versions of Capture One) has had an extensive upgrade. With the new 3-Way Color Balance, no knowledge of color blending or third party plug-ins are required to create beautifully color graded images. Color tone changes can be made in the shadows, the highlights or the mid-tones.

Have a look at the attached screen grab (Photo credit Pete Webb Photographer - The Work of Pete Webb Sports Photographer), to give you an idea.

This is a great way to apply color grading to an image without relying on presets and filters. Although a similar result can be achieved using levels and curves, it is not as easy to reach the desired tone, plus in the new tool, color is decoupled from lightness and saturation.

There is a tutorial video here…

https://youtu.be/0SXb-Fuwdjs

And stand by for blog posts on the subject at blog.phaseone.com and a great webinar tomorrow with Pratik Naik from Solstice Retouch.

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/5331817020592082433

Pratik will take us through his color workflow and make use of the new tool.

There are more webinars in the future too where you can learn about this tool, and Capture One in general..

Capture One webinars

8.2 also adds ‘Dynamic Locations’ (new tokens for changing the path of an image file based on items such as color tag, star rating and much more), 5k Previews plus new camera and lens support.

Give it a try out on a free 30 day trial…

Download Capture One Pro 8

Thanks,

David

scho

I just updated to 8.2 and it does not read ORF HR files properly. Previews are garbled and can't apply any basic adjustments.

As soon as I tried to import files a scrolling list popped up with a bunch of proxy errors for all of my HR files. Example:

Description:
Unable to create proxy. The image file may be damaged or otherwise unable to load.
File: /Volumes/LaCie/OM-D5II/_3230117.ORF
Domain: com.phaseone.captureone
Code: 19

Last edited:

Knorp

I just updated to 8.2 and it does not read ORF HR files properly. Previews are garbled and can't apply any basic adjustments.

As soon as I tried to import files a scrolling list popped up with a bunch of proxy errors for all of my HR files. Example:

Description:
Unable to create proxy. The image file may be damaged or otherwise unable to load.
File: /Volumes/LaCie/OM-D5II/_3230117.ORF
Domain: com.phaseone.captureone
Code: 19
Carl, same proxy error here: I'v tried importing K-H's ORF samples, but to no avail.

Kind regards.

Knorp

From the release notes...

• Olympus OM-D E-M5 II “High Resolution” mode is not supported.

But are you having the issue with Non HR RAW file types?
Mmm, that restriction is well hidden way down in the notes ...
But indeed, we were trying the hi-res files (±100Mb).

Kind regards.

scho

From the release notes...

• Olympus OM-D E-M5 II “High Resolution” mode is not supported.

But are you having the issue with Non HR RAW file types?
Also can not open ORI 16 MP raw files that are the first frame shot in HR mode and saved along with the HR ORF and jpg. This is just a normal res raw file with a different extension name. It can be re-named as an ORF and will then open in other raw processors.

Great to separate color from luminosity -- Thank you!!! :thumbs:
you also can wish readouts available in Lab (and something like HSV/HSL/HSB) - actually Lab readouts available now in $10K version of C1 ( :wtf: - bring at least that to a regular version finally)

D

Deleted member 19976

I was able to work with Capture One Pro 8.2 for some time and found it a very interesting release. If the moderators allow me to post a link to my website as a newbie here, I offer you a detailed review of this release:

What is new in Capture One Pro 8.2?

Don Libby

Loaded it on the SP3 I use to tether yesterday and played around a little just to see what it offered and am very pleased. I'll be doing the same this morning in the studio computers.

iiiNelson

Just loaded it at well on my MacBook and if gave me pause at first for a moment when it updated. I thought I was discovering a bug but I discovered the catalogs have to be updated with 8.2. So far so good. All of my custom presets carried over.

Ken_R

Im still getting to know the 3 way color grading tool but it seems like an awesome addition to the C1P tool set.

I have my studio inside a Post-Production Facility which has a Baselight (Filmlight UK) Color Grading Suite and it works in a similar way (of course it has an amazing control surface and many more features for motion).

C1P is heading in the right direction. Loving it.

Im still getting to know the 3 way color grading tool but it seems like an awesome addition to the C1P tool set.

I have my studio inside a Post-Production Facility which has a Baselight (Filmlight UK) Color Grading Suite and it works in a similar way (of course it has an amazing control surface and many more features for motion).

C1P is heading in the right direction. Loving it.
Thanks for the positive comments Ken!

That's quite the grading panel. Would that be handy for Capture One?