The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Pro 8.2 Released!

Mmm, that restriction is well hidden way down in the notes ...
But indeed, we were trying the hi-res files (±100Mb).

Kind regards.
Hi Knorp,

Olympus don't offer any information as to how the HR file format is constructed. So any support you see if reverse engineered.

It would be helpful if they supplied such information to enable the correct support.

David

Matix

Hi, just a heads, two days ago I installed 8.2, within 20 minutes I had problems...

Sent earlier, hope that it is not just me, anyone else have a problem like this?

Thanks, Phil

(I noticed this on the blog at Phase One.

This is a feature release providing new features including dynamic output locations and a new color balance tool, bug fixes, stability improvements, and additional camera and lens support.

We are currently testing this release; we do not recommend upgrading into a critical workflow until our testing with this release is complete.

Message sent to Phase One on their support blog contact site.

I downloaded and installed update 8.2 C1 Pro 4 days ago.

After running the installed update for a quick check, but not actually using it, I closed C1 8.2 and went on with some other work.

BSD, 5 minutes later the system showed Blue Screen and shut down. I tried all tricks to reboot, finally had to let Windows Repair use Restore to previous point prior to update of C1 8.2

System is now stable, I am using C1 8.0 and it is ok.

Hardware is 3 years old, high end PC with Win 7 64bit Professional, Intel Quad Core CPU 2.33ghz, 8gb Best Quality RAM, Display Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Any ideas?

Thanks, Phil...

bokesan

Olympus don't offer any information as to how the HR file format is constructed. So any support you see if reverse engineered.

It would be helpful if they supplied such information to enable the correct support.
And here I was thinking that as developers of the worlds foremost raw converter, you’d get not only full documentation, but also an SDK and well-commented (in english, of course) sample code.

No documentation sounds bad, and even more so because this feature will become more common (definitely from Ricoh/Pentax, and I would expect some other manufacturers, too).

Is reverse-engineerung an option for Phase One? I hope there’s no company policy against that. dcraw has supported the E-M5 II high resolution raws since version 9.23, so getting information about the format could be as simple as sending an email and a consulting fee to Dave Coffin.

Chris

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Phil,

A common first response to weird C1 crashes is "Turn off OpenCL". It might help.

Best,

Matt

k-hawinkler

High-resolutions raws are now supported in the latest service release 8.2.1. Just tried it - works fine.

Chris
Many thanks. Indeed this version recognizes the hi res .ORF file.
It also recognizes the .ORI file if I append an .ORF.
So my .ORI files now end in .ORI.ORF to distinguish them from the .ORF files.
I needed to do the same for PS CS6.
However, Iridient Developer 3.0 recognizes both the .ORF and .ORI files.
Thanks again.

iiiNelson

High-resolutions raws are now supported in the latest service release 8.2.1. Just tried it - works fine.

Chris
Sweet now if Phase One would reverse their decision on supporting other Medium Format RAW files... Might be another surge in C1Pro users... Especially those coming from Aperture.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sweet now if Phase One would reverse their decision on supporting other Medium Format RAW files... Might be another surge in C1Pro users... Especially those coming from Aperture.
like hasselblad files ;)
or Pentax and Leica too.
The only medium format solution Capture One supports is Team Phase One medium format solutions. I do not expect this to change.

iiiNelson

The only medium format solution Capture One supports is Team Phase One medium format solutions. I do not expect this to change.
Yeah we know they support the Phase family but there's a benefit to supporting and marketing to the masses now that there's one less RAW developer choice since Apple gave up on Aperture and Adobe is a polarizing topic for many. Why not provide a software solution that people can own without subscription models to those who may not be as comfortable with going to Raw Therapee, Iridient Developer, DXO, or some of the other RAW processors?

I understand the Leica split and it was beneficial to both at the time to part ways - well mostly beneficial for Leica. At some point you should drop the grudges that kill future business. The market landscape is a bit different now though and C1Pro has gotten much better/stable over the last 2 years and it's almost not even the same program it was 5+ years ago.

I don't expect Phase to change anytime soon because they don't HAVE to but I've been wrong before. Supplying a demand whether it's just potential or actually real... That's just good business. It's better for the company and dealers to receive $300+ from an owner of another brand of camera than nothing at all. Many of the cameras and lenses are profiled already. It's just a matter of creating camera profiles and opening tethering support. You never know what that $300+ will lead to - maybe a $10K+ back and maybe not.

Just saying.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yeah we know they support the Phase family but there's a benefit to supporting and marketing to the masses now that there's one less RAW developer choice since Apple gave up on Aperture and Adobe is a polarizing topic for many. Why not provide a software solution that people can own without subscription models to those who may not be as comfortable with going to Raw Therapee, Iridient Developer, DXO, or some of the other RAW processors?

I understand the Leica split and it was beneficial to both at the time to part ways - well mostly beneficial for Leica. At some point you should drop the grudges that kill future business. The market landscape is a bit different now though and C1Pro has gotten much better/stable over the last 2 years and it's almost not even the same program it was 5+ years ago.

I don't expect Phase to change anytime soon because they don't HAVE to but I've been wrong before. Supplying a demand whether it's just potential or actually real... That's just good business. It's better for the company and dealers to receive $300+ from an owner of another brand of camera than nothing at all. Many of the cameras and lenses are profiled already. It's just a matter of creating camera profiles and opening tethering support. You never know what that $300+ will lead to - maybe a $10K+ back and maybe not.

Just saying.
I agree with most of what you've written here.

I was not arguing the pros/cons of the policy. I don't write the policy. I was only stating, with high confidence, that I don't expect the policy to change.

Don Libby

John, not Doug however I've been using 8,2 now on 3-seperate PC's for over a week with no issues.

Don (not Doug)

robertwright

The fact that it supports catalogs now (and for a while) suggests that eventually Phase will see that there is a market for them to offer other MF camera support like they do for Canon-Nikon raw (will they suddenly drop canon raw support once it goes to 50mp MF territory?).

Many people could then have an alternative to the adobe tax (we could then call it the phase tax:)) and have a full featured asset management, shooting and processing solution. With Ps integration like Lr.

Actually, when you look at it this way, they are non-sensible to not do this-they really think that their mf camera is on such thin ice from competition that they'd lose sales- ? I doubt they'd see a tick.

Those people in the 20-35k mf market are not going to be swayed by a 6k pentax or 4k canon solution. Its apple and oranges. I think in the long run they'd sell more licenses and have a larger installed base, which could be eventually to their advantage.

iiiNelson

The fact that it supports catalogs now (and for a while) suggests that eventually Phase will see that there is a market for them to offer other MF camera support like they do for Canon-Nikon raw (will they suddenly drop canon raw support once it goes to 50mp MF territory?).

Many people could then have an alternative to the adobe tax (we could then call it the phase tax:)) and have a full featured asset management, shooting and processing solution. With Ps integration like Lr.

Actually, when you look at it this way, they are non-sensible to not do this-they really think that their mf camera is on such thin ice from competition that they'd lose sales- ? I doubt they'd see a tick.

Those people in the 20-35k mf market are not going to be swayed by a 6k pentax or 4k canon solution. Its apple and oranges. I think in the long run they'd sell more licenses and have a larger installed base, which could be eventually to their advantage.
I agree and it's sort of a no brainer when the market is wide open for shares especially now that Apple is mostly out of the professional RAW converter game.
Pretty much your mainstream choices are Abobe, Phase One, DXO (which has gotten into a closer Adobe relationship over the last 2 years,) Iridient, RAW Therapee, and Affinity is coming soon. Better get that market share before Affinity figures it all out because one thing I know to be true is that tech companies with strong community outreach/reachback/response go very far very quickly.