The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom 6 now available

Godfrey

The upgrade path for LR6 is different. Apparently you can only purchase the version six upgrade from Adobe directly (perhaps trying to force users to the Creative Cloud?) and after you make the on-line purchase you must be sure to copy the version 6.0 serial number while at the Adobe site. During install it is this serial number (version 6.0) that you need to supply when they first ask for a serial number. Subsequent to entering the version 6.0 serial number, you will receive a message confirming that this is a valid serial number but also requesting you to supply the serial number of a qualifying product (i.e. LR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ) which you must also enter.

The thing that was not clear to me was that during the install, when you are first requested to enter a serial number, I assumed that a qualifying (previous version) product serial number was what they wanted. It took about three hours to figure that out ( I entered each of the five previous version serial numbers and it still would not accept them). I find Adobe Systems a very difficult company to do business with. I hope this helps those who are upgrading Lightroom but not going for the Creative Cloud option. The upgrade price is $79.00 and the full price is $150.
Paul,

I've always upgraded LR by downloading from Adobe directly. The process has been exactly the same since 2006—buy the upgrade, download the product, use the serial number key they send me for the upgrade followed by the serial number key of the product it's upgrading. No change at all.

I know there were other options, but this is all I've used. I keep track of all serial number keys, just in case I need them ... Of course, I can always go to my Adobe account and retrieve them if I lost them for any reason.

I don't use Creative Cloud.

When I didn't understand how to find the upgrade price for LR6 on first glance, three minutes in an online chat with their Customer Service netted the correct link and procedure. I've owned many Adobe products and have never had any difficulty doing business with Adobe or their Customer Support services.

Sometimes, finding things on their website isn't easy, but I can say that for a dozen other important websites I have to use frequently too.

I don't know why I have such good experiences where others do not, but I do. Life is puzzling that way. :)

G

Hi Godfrey

I think the problem may be that all of my previous upgrades were via a purchased disk. I usually buy these from B&H, but they don't seem to be available for LR 6.0. I have quite an impressive stack of them.

This is the first time I have used a download upgrade and I have been a LR user since V1.0. When you upgrade via disk you only enter a qualifying software (previous rev. of LR) serial number and not the serial number of the software on the upgrade disk.

I too had some trouble finding the upgrade price (sans Creative Cloud) but in hindsight that turned out to be the easy part of buying LR 6.

I think that a few words on the install screen which asks for a serial number (specifying which LR version serial number it wants) would solve the problem but I kind of doubt it will happen.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I can see where you wouldn't understand first off if you'd always used the packaged CD update. Those are pre-serialized so that on install they already have their number, they just need the older key. The downloads are not serialized so they need the key for the update to be input, then the key for what's being upgraded.

The instructions in the email, though, do give you the serial number and imply that you use it when you start the install process. If it's an upgrade install, that serial number triggers the next bit which asks for the serial number of what you're upgrading. (If you'd paid for a full install, the serial number would be enough and you'd be done.)

It's not a big deal, though. Now that you're through it, just enjoy using the software! :)

G

f6cvalkyrie

Adobe seem to have changed their site for European customers too, I was now able to download the upgrade from 5.7 to 6 without affiliation to the CC ... we EU citizens always seem to be the last in the row, and at the highest price, since we pay 75 Euro instead of 75$, 75 Euro being equivalent to 81.5$
I upgraded since I may buy a new camera during my intensive international travel in the coming months, a camera that may or may not be supported by LR5.7 ...

C U,
Rafael

DaveS

Anyone try downloading LR with a Leica camera TAN number? I just did and it was LR 5 yesterday, not LR 6 (CC). Has anyone gotten LR 6, the stand alone version this way yet?

I had two free LR downloads unused. One was left over from a M9 which I used yesterday and it only allows a Key to work on LR5. I have one more for a Leica X (the F1.7 lens version) but don't want to try it in case it is only good for LR 5 as well.

I can sort of understand a M9 TAN number from Leica might only work for LR5 because of the age of the camera/purchase date, but the Leica X is new, but now I am cautious because of yesterdays experience.

thanks,
Dave

Godfrey

Anyone try downloading LR with a Leica camera TAN number? I just did and it was LR 5 yesterday, not LR 6 (CC). Has anyone gotten LR 6, the stand alone version this way yet?

I had two free LR downloads unused. One was left over from a M9 which I used yesterday and it only allows a Key to work on LR5. I have one more for a Leica X (the F1.7 lens version) but don't want to try it in case it is only good for LR 5 as well.

I can sort of understand a M9 TAN number from Leica might only work for LR5 because of the age of the camera/purchase date, but the Leica X is new, but now I am cautious because of yesterdays experience.

thanks,
Dave
I seem to recall the announcement that Leica upgraded the TAN number deliverable to LR5 from only a couple of months ago. I bet they'll have LR6 there in another {unknown amount of time}...

I was using LR before I owned any Leicas that came with it, so I've never used the codes in any of my Leica products. $80 for an upgrade isn't much... :)

G

DaveS

Thanks for the info. I agree $80 isn't much, but if I have a free coupon, it would be better to use it. Will wait a bit and see or try in a month or so.

thanks!
Dave

iiiNelson

I thought you had to download from Leica Owners Section but it's been years since I've used my code (LR4.) if there's any consequence I noticed they advertised the M246 with LR6 so I assume it's coming or close to being available for Leica download.

I have Adobe CC mainly for the times I need Photoshop for IR stuff. Outside of that I've been using C1P8 more than LR since I sold almost everything that isn't a Sony camera.

DaveS

OK so LR6 is now downloading with new unused TAN numbers. Last week I had two new unused TAN numbers and I got LR5 with the one I used.

I sent an email to Leica USA and they said starting this week LR6 is available.

So yesterday I tried my other unused TAN, and LR6 showed up. So it appears LR6 is now available per the info sheet and process with the TAN number you get with a Leica camera purchase.

regards,
Dave

SKueh

Figured out the problem.

If you ever get the glitch where the splash page begins to start only to immediately crash then you'll have to logout of Adobe CC (not close Creative Cloud but actually sign out/ log out of it.) After sign out is completed then sign back in and it should start up after you click on LR CC.
I upgraded from LR 5 to LR 6 by downloaded from Adobe directly the same way Godfrey did as described in his post # 21 above, even thought I have the LR CC installed. My newly installed LR6 crashes on me every time after I opened the LR 6 and viewed or edited 4 or 5 pics (previously imported). I am using an Apple mini with OS X 10.9.5.

Any member has the same problem? I am not a software guy and cannot read all the error codes. Will be very much appreciated if anybody can help.

Thanks in advance.

SKueh

Solved the crash problem by un-clicked the GPU on the Preference as suggested by members of Photoshop.com.