The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

image sizing

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Images for most gallery shows I've seen are usually in the standard range of 11X14, 16X20, 20X24 inches, I think I got this correct?. Should I strive for these sizes or will curators except odd sizes?

A

aero

I can't speak for all (I'm only one NY gallery into this whole world), but in my latest experiences, gallerists are generally open to your vision... Frame them based on what you think looks best!

That said, I've found the limitation to be the frames available to most customers without having to go custom (thus, expensive) or creating odd matting. Shooting 3:2 (like my Canon 1ds) will force people to frame in odd sizes without cropping (18x27 for instance)... Shoot 4:3 (I use a screen) and pick sizes of standard frames: 11x14, 18x24, 20x24, 24x36 have been the easiest for me to frame.

But at the end of the day, your art is your choice. Jeff Wall is a great example of an artist who goes to the edge... Huge transparencies! There's a real trend towards large in photo these days.

...one thing I will say - pick 15 or less. Your own show can have as many prints as you want, but it's rare that a gallery will put up more than 10 of your works unless they are small or just plain brilliant. I was turned down for three full series due to the number of diptychs I had. Eventually I was told point-blank to pick 15 images or show them myself... Ouch! I'm planning my own show.

...and prepare to give up 50% of your value. It was difficult to swallow spending all that time planning, sketching, shooting, critiquing, editing and stressing about my work just to cough up half of my profit :( But there it is.

Good luck,
-Dan

mwalker

Subscriber Member
...one thing I will say - pick 15 or less. Your own show can have as many prints as you want, but it's rare that a gallery will put up more than 10 of your works unless they are small or just plain brilliant. I was turned down for three full series due to the number of diptychs I had. Eventually I was told point-blank to pick 15 images or show them myself... Ouch! I'm planning my own show.

...and prepare to give up 50% of your value. It was difficult to swallow spending all that time planning, sketching, shooting, critiquing, editing and stressing about my work just to cough up half of my profit :( But there it is.

Good luck,
-Dan
Yes I was told that too.... its harder to cull to 15 when you just culled 30 from 2000 however printing large may facilitate that process. Big is good huh....what size are you showing, 24X36? All one size or multi sizes?
Thank you for this input!

Last edited:
A

aero

Hi Mike,

I've been showing 18x27 and 24x36... But if I had it to do again (and hopefully I will! :) I'd go 18x24 for the majority and 24x36 for a few of the select images. The images themselves sort of dictated the size once I laid them all out on a table. Print 'em at 4x6 (or, small) and put a bunch on a table. Then make believe you're making a show and move them around like it's scrabble. The larger ones pop to the surface (for me) based on whether they are a series-leading image... Take the 4x6's and have others you trust look at them in person and give you feedback on what series/sizes make sense. It helped a lot.

Glad to help - if you want to post a series somewhere I can give you feedback if it'll help.

Best,
-Dan