The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 8.2.1 image loading

jlm

Workshop Member
been off the processing grid for a bit and am getting some weird behavior. mac platform

when i import new images from a new shoot, i use the drop down menu, typically pick a new session, give it a new name and storage location, then open it. my card reader content window comes up, i select the images that i want to import and import them.

what has been happening is that new images are also being imported to previous sessions (not even open) and old images are being imported to the new session as well, including any adjustments attached to the images. basically, it is making all my sessions identical, retroactively regardless of camera or date of shoot.

i just went back and opened a two month old session, and it updated the content with my newest and a few previous sets of images, content was originally on different cards, from OLY, Canon and Leica.

i'm hesitant to open more old sessions or the content will get way cluttered

???

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
still struggling with this.

acts like i have some sort of copy/paste thing going on so when i import images it dumps the group of them all from several sessions into the new session and when i open an old one. still have the card in the reader, but it only has the images from the last shoot on it.

fact that the duplicated images have the adjustments on them when they get copied must mean they are coming from a session, not a storage device?

jlm

Workshop Member
i could use some help with this...

so today:

re-booted the computer; started C1, put newly formatted card in reader with 12 images
using C1 drop down, selected new session, named it with today's date, chose storage in a subfolder.

C1 opens with the import images window, showing thumbnails of my 12 images, so far so good.

I selected all 12, then hit import.

12 images went in.

then all of a sudden, it also imported 124 more images into the new session as well, same group as before, from a variety of sources and with various adjustments also brought along

grrr!

Knorp

Sorry Jim, I have no clue - perhaps you have images selected somehow ?
You could try Deselect All or Undo Selection and try again. Or try the latest version 8.3.2 ?
Reporting to Phase One Support is another option.

Kind regards.

jlm

Workshop Member
i now have a case with phase, awaiting an answer

just tried this:

completely closed C1. put a card in my oly camera and formatted it, took one shot.

put the card in the reader and checked the contents with finder: one image only

opened C1, used the dropdown to start a new session, opened that session, import window showed up, showing the contents of the card (correctly: one image) when i hit "import" that one shot went into the session followed immediately by not only the prior 124 shots but also the 12 i had loaded this morning into an entirely different session

PeterA

i now have a case with phase, awaiting an answer

just tried this:

completely closed C1. put a card in my oly camera and formatted it, took one shot.

put the card in the reader and checked the contents with finder: one image only

opened C1, used the dropdown to start a new session, opened that session, import window showed up, showing the contents of the card (correctly: one image) when i hit "import" that one shot went into the session followed immediately by not only the prior 124 shots but also the 12 i had loaded this morning into an entirely different session
Any feedback yet?

jlm

Workshop Member
had a few responses but my system at the shop is still doing it. acts like there is a cache of a group of 140 images from several cameras that gets appended every time i open a new session and import a few new images from a card. phase has not figured it out yet. i even loaded an updated C1 version, and it did it with the f
iles from my new sony A7RII
typical cryptic C1 bs: i can't get several selected images to process; i pick then by adding to the set with the command key or by the shift select to pick the first and last of the selection. what happens is only the first image gets processed and i get a message saying something about not having checked a box to "edit all variants".
I'm trying to process, not edit, and they are not "variants" they are separate images...

PeterA

had a few responses but my system at the shop is still doing it. acts like there is a cache of a group of 140 images from several cameras that gets appended every time i open a new session and import a few new images from a card. phase has not figured it out yet. i even loaded an updated C1 version, and it did it with the f
iles from my new sony A7RII
typical cryptic C1 bs: i can't get several selected images to process; i pick then by adding to the set with the command key or by the shift select to pick the first and last of the selection. what happens is only the first image gets processed and i get a message saying something about not having checked a box to "edit all variants".
I'm trying to process, not edit, and they are not "variants" they are separate images...
Thanks for the feedback JlM - Jack keeps pushing the C1 barrow- but I haven't seen it bug free in how many versions now? I would like to use it - LR has its limitations ..would rather a photographic tool than a painting tool if you know what I mean..is the make folders and place them everywhere at random issue fixed yet? LOL that was the last straw for me - grrr @invasive stupid programmes..

good luck sorting this apparentl;y random issue out - will be interested in teh outcome because I want to use it.

-Pete

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
been off the processing grid for a bit and am getting some weird behavior. mac platform

when i import new images from a new shoot, i use the drop down menu, typically pick a new session, give it a new name and storage location, then open it. my card reader content window comes up, i select the images that i want to import and import them.
John, just saw this, sorry. I am a little confused. Let's be really specific about the steps you're taking to create the new session and import the images :

C1 open, File>NewSession. Dialog window comes up to set name and where you want it located and if you click the little box, whether you want it opened in a new window -- I usually leave this un-checked. Now when you click "OK" the new session should populate to your C1 workspace with no images showing, because you haven't imported any yet. Now walk me through your entire import routine, step by step starting with inserting your card in the reader, include what you show in each dialog field.

jlm

Workshop Member
thx jack. ok next steps:
from having the new session started and on the screen, sometimes i already have the card in the reader:
if it doesn't open automatically, i select load images and the frame opens showing only the contents of my CD card. i select whatever images i want (last time was 4 images, full content of card, and this card had been re-formatted) and hit load images. the 4 images load and so do the mysterious other 140 images, some from sony, some from olympus, some from monochrome and dating back to last year. this pathology was repeated with a newly loaded version of 8.3 so it would handle the sony A7RII files

the new session now has 144 images. the to further piss me off, if i select the first image to delete, and shift/select the last, it will only delete the first, and gives me that error message about "checking the box to edit selected variants", which should have been phrased: "check box to select multiple images"

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John,

The problem is what you are saying you do isn't a complete enough explanation of your step by step process and ultimately why I asked you to be specific with each keystroke and command in my comment above. To start, there is no "Load Images" command or dialog in Capture One... There is an "Import Images" dialog. I need you to take a screenshot of that entire dialog box, showing how you have it filled out before you click the orange "import" button, and then post that screenshot here.

But the very first thing we need to clarify is to make sure you are creating and importing into "Session" and not creating and importing into a "Catalog" -- my guess is you are importing into a catalog and not a session, as a catalog holds all images imported into it, and then has multiple other import options as well...

jlm

Workshop Member
play be play just now:
no card in reader
opened C1,
Recents dialog box opens with one session highlighted (the one last use and the one i want)
hit "open" in dialog box
Session opens, labeled xxx.cosessiondb
place card in reader (no import screen showed up this time); the 27 images are new sony .arw files, that i had also loaded into the same session yesterday
then: file/import images selected
immediately starts loading a set of monochrome .dng images into the session (which already had the extra 140 images, the 140 did not re-load)

minimized C1 (red square)
left the xcard in the reader
hit the C1 icon
Recents screen comes up, same session highlighted; selected "open"

then file/import images: import screen shows up this time
i select first image, then shif-select last image of 27 and "import'

all 27 images load into session (and are duplicates, as they were alos placed in the same session yesterday

unless i mis-keyed, i always choose "new session", never "new catalog

thanks

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Please post a screenshot of your import dialog box before you hit the Import button.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No, I need to be able to read every dialog in the LITTLE import window -- the smallest one on your desktop -- just grab that single window and post

jlm

Workshop Member
and TIA
what was showing is the import window superimposed over the main C1 session screen

so here is the import window

like this?

jlm

Workshop Member
ah-ha!

no my session is 2015-08-16
and that is where it loaded the images, regardless of what the sample path shows???

i see when clicking the arrow on the store files: "capture" field an option for "session folder" is a choice
hmmm

maybe i have inadvertently been cramming and appending everything into that misc2/capture folder, but then it copies it all to my current session as well?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
ah-ha!

no my session is 2015-08-16
and that is where it loaded the images, regardless of what the sample path shows???

i see when clicking the arrow on the store files: "capture" field an option for "session folder" is a choice
hmmm

maybe i have inadvertently been cramming and appending everything into that misc2/capture folder, but then it copies it all to my current session as well?
Yes you have :) You likely have all your sessions pointing to that capture folder in the Library dialog for each session as a catalog... So best practices going forward:

1) Create new session with distinct name and location.
2) NOW insert you card and the import dialog should open for that session. Make sure the import from and import to paths are exactly what you want. Check the dialo to eject card after import.
3) Import desired images, and the session should auto-populate with those exact images to your C1 workspace.*
* If by chance they do not, go to your library navigation menu and point to that capture folder for that session. You done and should be good to go :)

PeterA

Yes you have :) You likely have all your sessions pointing to that capture folder in the Library dialog for each session as a catalog... So best practices going forward:

1) Create new session with distinct name and location.
2) NOW insert you card and the import dialog should open for that session. Make sure the import from and import to paths are exactly what you want. Check the dialo to eject card after import.
3) Import desired images, and the session should auto-populate with those exact images to your C1 workspace.*
* If by chance they do not, go to your library navigation menu and point to that capture folder for that session. You done and should be good to go :)
Awesome! Ok I'll give C8 a try...;)