The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can I have the old photoshop image scaling back?

Stuart Richardson

Is there any way to turn off the "new and improved" image scaling in CS4? It is giving me blurry images at 25% that are razor sharp at 100% and were razor sharp at 25% on CS3. Now it is sharp at 33%, but not at levels around 25% which is precisely where I need it to be sharp! It is driving me crazy. I'd rather just have the old sharp at 12.5, 25, 50 and 100 than the "it will be sharp at some level, but we won't tell you which and it won't fit on your screen" .

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I agree 1000%. I use the option + scroll wheel trick to zoom in and out and it seems as if it's almost luck if I happen to find a spot that looks sharp on screen. I've over-sharpened more than one image during processing because of this "improvement." I hope someone knows the trick.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Turn off "Open GL" totally and presto, you have the old CS scaling back ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The Open GL is supposed to improve performance by handing off more image management duties to the GPU freeing up CPU bandwidth. While it probably works well for smaller images and video that can be displayed at 100% all the time, it does not seem to help, and in fact detracts from larger image rendering. It may draw faster, but at the expense of overall quality and also appears to have issues with color management. At the end of the day I've turned it fully off on my MBP and MacPro and am far happier.

Cheers,