The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

El Capitan: is it safe ?

Godfrey

Found this:

Olympus uploader can not connect EM-1 on Mac El Capitan

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/80651/

And an explanation in that thread:
Just another reason why I dislike the Olympus updating business so much. I much prefer the "download an in-camera updater app, put it on a storage card, let the camera update itself" methodology for firmware updates. This business of having to depend on a vendor's flakey app software to run on my computer properly as well as having a perfect network connection and camera connection going properly all at the same time just sucks.

I only put up with it because the E-M1 is such a good camera, but I hate the process more every time there's a firmware update.

G

From Adobe:

Joe
Joe, apparently the problem, as I understand, is not only Apple, but camera firmware adapting to a new system where security is prime. That is why when I try to connect the camera it stays in standby. There should be some kind of permission to allow camera to connect to computer. That's my understanding according to what people have published.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I decided to load it first on my little MB Air to see what/if/how. End of day the install failed, could not complete, crapped out at the 4 minute remaining mark with a can't complete install error. I tried alternate boot, but it had wiped my old OS completely, so it wasn't visible to for boot. So I went to Apples remote boot -- that could only try to reinstall ElCap, and after re-downloading and re-loading, it still crapped out at the 4 minute remaining mark with an unable to load new OS error. So get disk utility up, can see the new ElCap diskimg, run first aid on it, and it reports all good, no issues found.Go back to try a reload one more time and now I get an error my drive needs to be reformatted because it isn't currently in a recognized Apple format!

So my advice is to stay far away from this crap build until they get it sorted.

Oh yeah, of course having had zero issues with all previous OS upgrades, I was lazy and did not back up this system -- and so yeah, I lost everything on it. Don't be stupid like me.

k-hawinkler

I am running the latest beta of El Capitan on a late 2013 Mac Pro with 6 cores and 64 GB of RAM. Last night my system displayed the message: "Running out of application memory". Basically at that time I was using CS6, C1, Preview, Mail, Safari, and a beta of SoftRAID. SoftRAID announced their none-beta version for mid-October. My guess, there is a memory leak somewhere.

Of course, I have a backup and could go to the regular version of El Capitan. But even there C1 8.3.3 had some hickups. But that only slowed me down a little bit and I could nevertheless do what I wanted to do.

Until now I had relied on Diskutility for managing my RAIDs. But that is no longer supported in El Capitan's Diskutility. However, one still could use diskutil in Terminal to do that. Thanks to a previous post in this thread I decided to give SoftRAID a try (thank you Bob, alias docmoore).

I am glad I did. I must say, I am really impressed by SoftRAID. It seems to be a well thought out and executed application. It not only manages 0, 1, 4, 5, and 0+1 type of RAIDs but also single HDDs and SSDs and reports I/O errors and gives warnings when a device is about to fail and should be replaced.

SoftRAID warned me that a 4-way striped SSD RAID was going to fail in the "next 2 to 6 months" and should be replaced immediately. So, I backed it up and didn't use it any more, just kept it ON and let SoftRAID monitor it. Lo and behold a few days later SoftRAID warned me that that particular RAID couldn't read its partition map and should be replaced. Replacement SSDs should arrive later today. :)

I also have another 4-way striped RAID of fairly old 256 GB SSDs. I used SoftRAID to certify that this particular RAID works still fine and I used CCC to copy my Boot drive to it. Although now that the RAID is controlled by SoftRAID I have successfully booted my El Capitan system from it. Nice!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Probably good advice for those, unlike me, who haven't already taken the plunge. The iOS-ification of Mac OS is taking its toll. Sorry to hear your story Jack, but I'm glad you first experimented with the MBA instead of the production machine.

Joe
The "new" management at Apple (and the associated company direction from them) may force me back to Windows sooner than I ever expected...

The "new" management at Apple (and the associated company direction from them) may force me back to Windows sooner than I ever expected...
Mine is working fine other than the tethering problem. I had many issues with Yosemite which for me was the worst of all OS.
I wrote an email to Wacom and they sent me and updated driver which is working fine with El Capitan.
Still the issue with tethering different cameras would be solve when the camera makers update their firmwares. Not even the latest Lightroom update addresses the tethering issues, so it is clear it has to be camera firmware.
We just bought a Windows HP laptop for my nice and I can tell you I almost puke on it. I started getting all this pop up windows...:angry:

I decided to load it first on my little MB Air to see what/if/how. End of day the install failed, could not complete, crapped out at the 4 minute remaining mark with a can't complete install error. I tried alternate boot, but it had wiped my old OS completely, so it wasn't visible to for boot. So I went to Apples remote boot -- that could only try to reinstall ElCap, and after re-downloading and re-loading, it still crapped out at the 4 minute remaining mark with an unable to load new OS error. So get disk utility up, can see the new ElCap diskimg, run first aid on it, and it reports all good, no issues found.Go back to try a reload one more time and now I get an error my drive needs to be reformatted because it isn't currently in a recognized Apple format!

So my advice is to stay far away from this crap build until they get it sorted.

Oh yeah, of course having had zero issues with all previous OS upgrades, I was lazy and did not back up this system -- and so yeah, I lost everything on it. Don't be stupid like me.
Jack, maybe you try doing a clean install.

k-hawinkler

Jack, maybe you try doing a clean install.

That's definitely worth a try.

Although there are certain issues with apps that aren't ready yet, I find that my late 2013 Mac Pro is more responsive and works very well with El Capitan. I am running the latest beta version.

That's definitely worth a try.

Although there are certain issues with apps that aren't ready yet, I find that my late 2013 Mac Pro is more responsive and works very well with El Capitan. I am running the latest beta version.
I agree. I had several issues with Yosemite, one of them being Photoshop giving hiccups on my Mac Pro, now is responding just ok.

For anyone willing to know, now is possible to tether Nikon, Sony and The Capitan with the latest C1 update.

Last edited:

vrrp

Lens Tagger plugin no longer works in LR CC after installing El Capitan. Returns error 32512. No response yet from developer.
I experience the same problem. I have been able to circumvent it by checking the edit box in the lenstagger window, selecting all and copying the exiftool command (be sure to load the correct preset and press the update command before doing this), and then pasting and running this command directly in the shell.

After exiftool runs, you can then load the metadata back into lightroom as usual.

Hoping this helps and lenstagger is updated soon to solve this issue (I believe it is maintained by a single individual, we should not forget).

georgechang

I now have figured out how to get LensTagger to work with El Capitan.

● In LR, click on File>Plug-in Manager…
● Find LensTagger Exif Tool in the list on the left
● In the Options, Export & Import section for LensTagger type in the path for ExifTool:

● Click “Done”
● Restart LR (may not be necessary)

Now when using LensTagger, the correct path to ExifTool appears in the plugin dialog and the plugin functions as before.

As before, you must be in the Library module in grid/thumbnail view to modify multiple images.

Joe
Works with me. Thanks a million!

Mark ORussa

I now have figured out how to get LensTagger to work with El Capitan.

● In LR, click on File>Plug-in Manager…
● Find LensTagger Exif Tool in the list on the left
● In the Options, Export & Import section for LensTagger type in the path for ExifTool:

● Click “Done”
● Restart LR (may not be necessary)

Now when using LensTagger, the correct path to ExifTool appears in the plugin dialog and the plugin functions as before.

As before, you must be in the Library module in grid/thumbnail view to modify multiple images.

Joe
Thanks for this. It worked for me as well. I just updated to El Capitan and the plugin stopped working.

To add a little bit more to this, run the following in Terminal:

Code:
which exiftool
It should return something like:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/exiftool
If it does, that is what you put in the plugin settings as described by Joe Colson. If it says it can't find it or it returns nothing at all, you need to install exiftool.

Mark O.

dhsimmonds

As a matter of interest, would you advise or otherwise upgrading from Snow Leopard to El Capitan? My photographic software is CS6 and Capture 1, and Silver Efex pro plug-ins. I also use Moneydance 2014.5 financial software and Office for Mac 2011 suite.
Thanks in advance for your help.

archiM44

As a matter of interest, would you advise or otherwise upgrading from Snow Leopard to El Capitan? My photographic software is CS6 and Capture 1, and Silver Efex pro plug-ins. I also use Moneydance 2014.5 financial software and Office for Mac 2011 suite.
Thanks in advance for your help.
My soft and hardware adviser of many years has upgraded me to Yosemite which works perfectly for all programs (Adobe Cloud, Capture One Pro9, Photo Ninja etc. etc.) and is still hesitant about El Capitan. He suggested waiting for a few more upgrades to El Capitan.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The only El Capitan incompatibility I know of is tethering a pre-007 Leica S. That still doesn't work, although S(007) El Cap tethering was released a few days ago. I have no problem tethering a Sony A7II to Capture One v9 under El Cap (tested just now).

--Matt

BTW, It's very easy to install El Cap on an external disk and test your workflow by booting from that disk.

dhsimmonds

Well I have done it! All works fine after downloading Java, but Capture One version 9 will not open as it is showing an error message advising that the OS security barrier does not recognise it! Anyone know how to defeat El Capitan's security block just for this program?
Many thanks

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If I understand you correctly, there are two ways.

You can go to System Preferences (under the Apple menu or it may be in your Dock), click the Security & Privacy pane, unlock the pane by clicking on the little lock and entering your password, and changing the "Allow apps downloaded" setting (which you can change back after you open C1 for the first time).

Or you can right click on C1 and select Open from the resulting list. This will ask you if you really mean it, and you can say yes. This is different behavior from simply double-clicking on C1.

Good luck,

Matt

dhsimmonds

If I understand you correctly, there are two ways.

You can go to System Preferences (under the Apple menu or it may be in your Dock), click the Security & Privacy pane, unlock the pane by clicking on the little lock and entering your password, and changing the "Allow apps downloaded" setting (which you can change back after you open C1 for the first time).

Or you can right click on C1 and select Open from the resulting list. This will ask you if you really mean it, and you can say yes. This is different behavior from simply double-clicking on C1.

Good luck,

Matt
Thank you Matt, that worked perfectly and I am much obliged.:thumbup: