The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Affinity Photo for skin-ton corrections

CSP

sometimes even big corporate clients don’t want MUAs when i shoot male manager portraits so i have do deal with reddish caucasian skin-tone problems more often than i like. i also use AP on a regularly basis for certain tasks which are performed better or more easy in AP than PS CC. recently i started to use AP more for skin-tone color corrections because the developers added the ability to use the curve tool with lab or cmyk independent from the colorspace of the image (only in beta version ) . i can now edited an image with cmyk curve adjustments while staying in adobe rgb for example, for me this is really a phenomenal feature because i always prepare files for offset printing and much prefer working with cmyk values. so working on some images from my last shooting i discovers that AP seems also to give superior results compared to PS when selective color adjustments are used to correct to much red in skin-tones. the AP result with - magenta and + yellow in the red tones give more natural results compared to similar corrections made with PS. the effect is very subtile but in direct comparison very visible - the PS result looks waxy and unnatural. everybody dealing with similar problems should give AP a try !

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
sometimes even big corporate clients don’t want MUAs when i shoot male manager portraits so i have do deal with reddish caucasian skin-tone problems more often than i like. i also use AP on a regularly basis for certain tasks which are performed better or more easy in AP than PS CC. recently i started to use AP more for skin-tone color corrections because the developers added the ability to use the curve tool with lab or cmyk independent from the colorspace of the image (only in beta version ) . i can now edited an image with cmyk curve adjustments while staying in adobe rgb for example, for me this is really a phenomenal feature because i always prepare files for offset printing and much prefer working with cmyk values. so working on some images from my last shooting i discovers that AP seems also to give superior results compared to PS when selective color adjustments are used to correct to much red in skin-tones. the AP result with - magenta and + yellow in the red tones give more natural results compared to similar corrections made with PS. the effect is very subtile but in direct comparison very visible - the PS result looks waxy and unnatural. everybody dealing with similar problems should give AP a try !
Have you ever used the skintone tab of the Color Editor in Capture One? It can be applied globally or as a local adjustment.

Best option I've ever seen for handling the issue you describe. Makes AP's approach look crude and indirect.

CSP

Have you ever used the skintone tab of the Color Editor in Capture One? It can be applied globally or as a local adjustment.

Best option I've ever seen for handling the issue you describe. Makes AP's approach look crude and indirect.
best option ? it works great for quick and dirty jobs or when only small adjustments are needed but it is not a substitute for serious skin-tone work in PS or AP. i do not like the kind of hue compression this tool applies, often the result is more like a very bad MUA job and instead of solving the problem it adds a new one - destroyed color differences making skin look unnatural. maybe this is ok with wedding photography were you have to work large amounts of images but for the type of work i do it is not an option.