The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Pro 9 Launched!

Dear Forum,

Today we have just launched the latest edition of Capture One! Capture One Pro 9.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Software/Capture-One-Pro/Highlights.aspx

We have built on existing features and improved the ones you know and use daily. Some highlights include..

- New Processing Engine
- New Color Editor Interface with the ability to create masks from Color selections
- LUMA Curves - i.e Luminance adjustment only with the power of the curve tool
- New brushing tools with Flow and Airbrush and easy straight line brushing.
- Curves now included as a Local Adjustments
- Keyword Library Manager and new Keyword tool
- Vastly improved rescaling engine
- Capture One Colors for DNG files

On a financial note each Capture One licence now gives you THREE installs. So you can cover your location system, office / studio system and home system. Even more value.

Here is an overview of what’s new…

https://youtu.be/5yCkUtVTQLo

Here is how the new Color Editor Works..

https://youtu.be/Q-KkdyxuNFk

Here is the new Keyword Tool and Library in action…

https://youtu.be/2UBObNYbDPU

On a personal note I will say that I didn’t look much into the new behaviour of the Contrast and Brightness sliders in the new processing engine at first. But I really must say it makes this rather rudimentary tool something special. Adding contrast to an image can often be a tough task, especially if you want to retain colors and saturation and not block up the blacks and ruin the highlights. The new processing engine does a great job of adding contrast in a subtle way. If you want even more control, then you have the Luma curve and the saturation slider at your disposal.

No doubt there will be some responses of “what about xyz tool??”. Remember, 9.0 is just the start and there is always more to come. Don’t forget throughout the life of Capture One 8 we added new features and tools, for example the Color Balance tool.

Download a 30 day trial today…

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Download.aspx

Upgrade your existing Capture One Pro 7 or 8 licence…

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store/PurchaseDetailsPage.aspx?captureone=upgrade

There are a series of Webinars for Capture One Pro 9 in English, German and Japanese - have a look on our new webinar page..

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Webinars.aspx

Many Thanks,

David

Swissblad

Dear Forum,

Today we have just launched the latest edition of Capture One! Capture One Pro 9.

On a financial note each Capture One licence now gives you THREE installs. So you can cover your location system, office / studio system and home system. Even more value.
I really like the 3 install option - thanks - great help with our laptop for tethering.

:thumbs:

gerald.d

Dear Forum,

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Software/Capture-One-Pro/Highlights.aspx

We have built on existing features and improved the ones you know and use daily. Some highlights include..

- New Processing Engine
- New Color Editor Interface with the ability to create masks from Color selections
- LUMA Curves - i.e Luminance adjustment only with the power of the curve tool
- New brushing tools with Flow and Airbrush and easy straight line brushing.
- Curves now included as a Local Adjustments
- Keyword Library Manager and new Keyword tool
- Vastly improved rescaling engine
- Capture One Colors for DNG files

Here is an overview of what’s new…

https://youtu.be/5yCkUtVTQLo

Here is how the new Color Editor Works..

https://youtu.be/Q-KkdyxuNFk
That new Colour Editor is just brilliant. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

k-hawinkler

Many thanks. I am using COP9 now and would love to see the Leica WATE 16-18-21/4 lens supported with geometric corrections. TIA.

geotrupes

Hi,
Having a couple of problem with version 9.

First of all that v9 runs only on macosx 10.10 onwards, thus I had to upgrade from 9.5...
This was not that clear initially.
Anyway easy to solve!

The real problem is another one.
The lens correction seems not to be available for Leica Monochrom raw files.
Is this normal?

If I use a file from a M8 or M9 all works and I can select distortion/etc.
But with DNGs from the MM the correction tools are greyed out...

Please help :)

Thanks
G>

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So far a very nice update. I've been processing some existing images with the new engine and exposure/color tools and I do like the fact that I can use the new luma based options. The new color selection mask option looks to be a very powerful addition to help keep initial edits all in C1. I wish that there was an equivalent luminosity based mask option - Perhaps there's a way to do it with the color editor with some creativity.

very much appreciate the new 3x activation option as I can now use a single license on my base machine, MBP and surface pro for tethering. :thumbup: It allowed me to keep one of my C1 7 & 8 licenses for my older Macs that can't run 9 due to OS X restrictions.

k-hawinkler

Something peculiar with COP9.
I start with a full size raw image of size 7952x5304, resize it to 9x16, then go back to full size and end up with 7982x5304.
Hmm, how did that happen? :facesmack:

Kirmo

Been using version 9 for 3 days on Mac with 32 Gt RAM.

Using Catalogs, first from version 8 that was upgraded by the software. This
worked with only couple crashes until a new crash and catalog will not open
or can not be repaired by software it self.

So I made a new and imported files (> 50 000). Been working today again
some 5 crashes. Latest are coming when the previews are build.

The catalog is around 270 Mt and after crash with the so far build previews
the size 37 Gt.

Any others having issues?

Kirmo

ps. Version 8 running ok. Also LR can handle this amount of files. Would just want to
move to one software.

archiM44

Been using version 9 for 3 days on Mac with 32 Gt RAM.

Using Catalogs, first from version 8 that was upgraded by the software. This
worked with only couple crashes until a new crash and catalog will not open
or can not be repaired by software it self.

So I made a new and imported files (> 50 000). Been working today again
some 5 crashes. Latest are coming when the previews are build.

The catalog is around 270 Mt and after crash with the so far build previews
the size 37 Gt.

Any others having issues?

Kirmo

ps. Version 8 running ok. Also LR can handle this amount of files. Would just want to
move to one software.
After having stopped using Capture One catalogs over a number of versions due to many crashes, on a hunch I completely disabled the metadata in the third preference pane (image) Screen Shot 2015-12-24 at 11.18.40.jpg and suddenly files load quickly and I have had no more crashes.

erudolph

I am an occasional C1 user, my main application being Lightroom. In the past I've always upgraded C1 but this time I'm not sure.

I've two questions:

1. I tried the v9 trial. I opened a new catalog and pointed it to my Lightroom Imports folder and asked it to leave the images in their locations. However, if Lightroom 6.x is simultaneously open, Lightroom tells me that the images in that folder are not available?

2. Why on earth is the only Leica lens supported the 50mm Summicron??

thanks for any insights...

erudolph

To clarify point 1 above, which is now clearer to me:

If Lightroom and Capture One are both open, as described above, and I export an image from C1 to my LR Imports folder and then quit Capture One, when I return to Lightroom, Lightroom tells me that none of the images in my import folder are available, except the one re3cently exported from C1.

archiM44

To clarify point 1 above, which is now clearer to me:

If Lightroom and Capture One are both open, as described above, and I export an image from C1 to my LR Imports folder and then quit Capture One, when I return to Lightroom, Lightroom tells me that none of the images in my import folder are available, except the one re3cently exported from C1.
Ed,
Because I use LR as my catalog, and Capture One 9 to process I no longer create a duplicate or partial catalog with Capture One but use Sessions as follows:
1. On my HD I make a folder within my photocollection which I call 'CAPTURE ONE SESSION TEMP" and also a folder called "CAPTURE ONE SESSIONS" where I can store sessions I want to keep.
2. In LR under File/Export I make a preset "TO CAPTURE ONE SESSION TEMP" and under file settings set it to export original file(s) and under "Post Processing to do Nothing. I have set up a keyboard shortcut to automate this.
3. In LR I then sort the RAW files I want to process in C1 from a specific shoot or folder and export them to the Capture One Temp folder.
4. In Capture One I make a new session with an appropriate name and import from the Capture One Temp folder storing the images in the Capture Folder of that session. When importing I set preferences in C1 to ignore all metadata and in the import dialog to erase images after import so that the folder is clean and ready for another session.
After processing all the images to the session output folder I can import all the processed images into LR and do some further processing there or in Photoshop.
If I want to keep the session for further use, I store it in the Capture One sessions folder or eventually in a separate external drive.
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 20.36.59.jpg