The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

jpeg vs raw

Jan

I don't see why one would never shoot jpg again. True, for serious composition I certainly shoot raw for processing but in camera processing is so good these days that if you take casual shots the jpg image is good enough, even for a reasonable size print.

The proof in the pudding, just a snap out of camera.

Lars

Jpeg has its place even for demanding work. If in-camera performance is critical, or time to market/publishing, or storage space, then raw becomes an obstacle.

Personally I think it's a good exercise for everyone to shoot Jpeg every now and then, to get a grip on the compromises involved and make Jpeg work for you - in case you need it at some point.

Typically some of us (including me) get lazy with the white balance when only shooting raw. Direct-to-Jpeg demands more from the photographer.

archiM44

Jpeg has its place even for demanding work. If in-camera performance is critical, or time to market/publishing, or storage space, then raw becomes an obstacle.

Personally I think it's a good exercise for everyone to shoot Jpeg every now and then, to get a grip on the compromises involved and make Jpeg work for you - in case you need it at some point.

Typically some of us (including me) get lazy with the white balance when only shooting raw. Direct-to-Jpeg demands more from the photographer.
I shoot jpg + RAW, just because of the white balance risk, especially if the lighting is tricky.

Lars

I shoot jpg + RAW, just because of the white balance risk, especially if the lighting is tricky.
Yeah me too, so... My point exactly - you haven't (and I haven't) mastered WB enough to confidently use Jpeg.
Last year I changed my action sports photography to shoot Jpeg only, but it's so far outdoors only so WB is predictable and measurable.

mediumcool

I don't see why one would never shoot jpg again. True, for serious composition I certainly shoot raw for processing but in camera processing is so good these days that if you take casual shots the jpg image is good enough, even for a reasonable size print.

The proof in the pudding, just a snap out of camera.

The shirt is blown; easy enough to fix if you had shot RAW.