The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro Focus Stacking

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I have used Helicon Focus as well as CS4 for various tries at focus stacking and I observe that generally the best results I have seen so far are in those image that have a minimum of magnification change between near and far. Of course this seems intuitively obvious, since the software has less to do if the magnification does not change so much.
So, that brings me to the following question:
Is it better, in macro subjects, to step through the subject with a fixed magnification, through use of something like a focusing stage, or is it better to focus on different depths of the subject by focusing, changing the lens to sensor distance and thus the magnification.
I think that I might have just answered my own question, but does anybody have experience in trying the two different approaches?
thanks
-bob