The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Pro 8 vs 9?

gazwas

All my professional carrer I've not used anything other than Capture One for my image editing and with every new version came a feature or jump in output quality that made the upgrade a welcome and exciting addition. I looked over what was new in version 9 but was underwhelmed as the the new features and rather than just clicking to upgrade I thought I'd trial the software and give it the benefit of some heavy use first.

I've just finished my 30 day trail and I'm totally sure there is no perceivable difference in the output quality of the files in comparison to version 8. The only nice thing I could see was the contrast slider works slightly better and the straight line mask tool is handy in 9. Version 8 supports all my current cameras so I think I'm going to sit tight on my current version.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts on version 9 and point out something I'm missing as it feels like a point update to 8 rather than the usual (got to have) full version upgrade?

archiM44

I did the upgrade to 9 because of the following improvements/features. (my impression may have been subjective!)
- somewhat faster on my Fuji X files, not on my Leica DNG's
- Catalog is now stable and doesn't crash any more. Was a disaster on my Mac in all previous versions. (may be due to the necessary upgrade to OX10.10)
- masking from color editor
- Luma curve
-

All my professional carrer I've not used anything other than Capture One for my image editing and with every new version came a feature or jump in output quality that made the upgrade a welcome and exciting addition. I looked over what was new in version 9 but was underwhelmed as the the new features and rather than just clicking to upgrade I thought I'd trial the software and give it the benefit of some heavy use first.

I've just finished my 30 day trail and I'm totally sure there is no perceivable difference in the output quality of the files in comparison to version 8. The only nice thing I could see was the contrast slider works slightly better and the straight line mask tool is handy in 9. Version 8 supports all my current cameras so I think I'm going to sit tight on my current version.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts on version 9 and point out something I'm missing as it feels like a point update to 8 rather than the usual (got to have) full version upgrade?
Mask from Color Selection (Transform any selection into a mask)

Flow control for Local Adjustment Masking

Faster Mask Drawing

Redesigned Color Editor (Much easier to nail selections)

Keyword and Keyword Library tool

Luma Curve

Contrast Slider now Luma like behaviour

Three activations as opposed to 2

gazwas

Hi David, thanks for the reply.

No question Capture One 9 is an excellent application but coming from the already equally excellent version 8 I was a little disappointed in the upgrades as they felt more like a point update rather than a whole new version.

Now if V9 had an HDR tool like LR6 that would be a great addition as I find myself using LR for all my location work and C1 only for studio projects but would love C1 to be my one stop shop for it all again.

Hi David, thanks for the reply.

No question Capture One 9 is an excellent application but coming from the already equally excellent version 8 I was a little disappointed in the upgrades as they felt more like a point update rather than a whole new version.

Now if V9 had an HDR tool like LR6 that would be a great addition as I find myself using LR for all my location work and C1 only for studio projects but would love C1 to be my one stop shop for it all again.
Hey Gaz,

Maybe 9.1 will inspire you more..

www.phaseone.com/nineone

David

At present Capture One 9 has some serious bugs!
According to their support caused by the Canon SDK. It creates a memory leak that will cause the application to stop working or even crash when you are working with a large catalogue. At some point it even destroyed the catalogue.
So despite all it's amazing improvements I can only recommend to everyone using Canon files to stay away from it.
James - 9.1 doesn't use the Canon SDK at all!

There was an earlier bug with Canon files, but now resolved.