The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm going to complain about Adobe now...

What the hell, Adobe? Are you a provider of professional imaging software or a provider of parlor tricks?

Adobe has released the new updates to LR/PS and they're pretty neato if you have a hyper-specific application for them, but has anyone noticed that actual workflow tools have not been improved upon in YEARS? Remember when Adobe launched a new importer and quickly backtracked after it crashed and burned? I guess that means they're going to stop trying... Currently it requires like 5-6 clicks for me just to import images directly from my desktop in OSX. It's such an ugly, stupid interface, but I guess we're stuck with it, because they haven't said one word on it since. One of the most important and least addressed concepts in professional photography is WORKFLOW. LR has been a workflow boon if you remember the PS only days, it's true. But why has advancement completely halted in this area since? I am wedding photographer and time is money. My mouse is the biggest bottle neck when making image adjustments, and there is scant keyboard support in LR. VSCO Keys used to address this but VSCO has abandoned the platform (IMO they priced it too high, and made it overly complex for what it needed to be). Even if you have it it no longer functions.

I don't need content aware crop. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be tied to their computer to post to instagram. I can already just export to dropbox to do this. But photo-mechanic is STILL a better culling program, and it still takes an absurd amount of time to cycle through images and apply simple edits. I have to stop, use my mouse to move sliders, and it's a bottle neck. Why can't I just hit tab to cycle the sliders and use my arrow keys to go +/-? Why can't I assign presets to function keys?

This is to say nothing of image archiving. LR has some great tools like batch re-name, but I still feel that finally archiving a wedding is overly complicated. I want a way to easily consolidate all the files associated with a job, including the catalog files, in one folder. I don't want these files scattered across my system. I know that I can set up LR to do this, sort of, upon import, but it's overly complicated, and over complication leads to more time spent and as I said, time is money.

The TL/DR of this post is basically, Adobe, stop trying to wow me with stupid magic tricks. Get me to a point where I can scream through a wedding from culling to processing to delivery to archiving.

Oh, and have you seen Smart Albums? Adobe, how the hell did you miss that obvious innovation? Why would I ever use the crappy book making tool when Smart Albums rocks so hard? :banghead:

Instead of content aware, how about some WORKFLOW AWARE TOOLS?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
A lot of your complaints are areas that Capture One excels at:
- Automatically/inherently archive-ready self contained projects (called "sessions" in C1)
- Keyboard shortcuts up the wazu
- Flexible task-oriented workspace/workflow

Maybe consider the free trial of C1 and if you like what you see, taking a Capture One class and making the switch.

C1 is proving with every update in the last couple years that it's the pro-oriented workflow software.

pegelli

Why can't I just hit tab to cycle the sliders and use my arrow keys to go +/-?
You can do this in LR 6.6. Just click one of the numbers (so it still takes one click to get started) and it will show a black number on a white field. Then you can tab forward/backwards to go to the next/previous slider and use +/- to adjust values. I think this should address one of your complaints.

I also think some of your other complaints can be solved to make them a easier (=faster).

It's hard to give advice if you're not specific about the precise steps of your workflow, but if you post how you do it now there will be good advice available from members (incl. me, but for sure not exclusively) to help you streamline and save time.

DougDolde

I pretty much agree about the lack of new significant features. You can use content aware fill after you crop and or rotate so having it built into the crop tool is only a convenience as far as I can tell.

I use C1 for the heavy lifting then finish off in Photoshop. But for now I've not re-upped my subscription to CC and am going back to CS6 and see if I am missing anything. So far it's hard to tell much difference.

darr

Capture One is great, but it does not support two of the camera RAW files I use, Foveon and Hasselblad. :(

I can recommend the lynda.com videos by Chris Orwig if you have not received any formal training in Lightroom. I teach Lightroom and Photoshop CC (and commercial photography) full time and my students enjoy Chris's videos. You can have free access for 10 days and maybe that is all you need. But if you need more time, the basic plan is $25 month. Lynda.com has a cornucopia of information to offer, and not just photography related stuff.

Kind regards,
Darr

scho

So am I! See my cross post in the printing forum and follow the link. This is a serious bug if you care about accurate color managed workflows. I was happily printing w/o issues from the last version of LR but suddenly after the 2015.6 update the color managed printing pipeline was corrupted. I thought at first it might just be bad ink or a printer driver issue, but after some investigation it turned out to be clearly a bug in LR 6.6/2015.6 (CC) and it affects most printers that use the Adobe CM workflow.

Charles Wood

I clicked on the link and the following popped up:

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.getdpi.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I clicked on the link and the following popped up:

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.getdpi.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.
Scary looking I know. But all links on the forum are currently doing that. Copy paste there url to your browser and it will work.