The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Glad I switched to C1-9 Pro in May

algrove

After reading the mess highlighted in the Lula article by Segal with cc-PS and cc-LR, I am happy with my recent switch to C1, even though the learning curve is still steep right now, but I very much like the colors.

I like to OWN my software and not rent it in perpetuity.

k-hawinkler

After reading the mess highlighted in the Lula article by Segal with cc-PS and cc-LR, I am happy with my recent switch to C1, even though the learning curve is still steep right now, but I very much like the colors.

Welcome onboard Lou. I find C1 allows me to get more subtle results than with ACR. BTW C1 works well with CS6 to finish the post-processing. :thumbs:

pegelli

Maybe semantics, but if you read the license agreement before installing you will notice you do not own the software (neither C1 nor Lightroom). You only have the right to use the software on one or more computers (don't know exactly how many).

The only difference between Lightroom CC on the one hand and Lightroom "perpetual" / C1 on the other hand is that with CC you pay a monthly subscription for which you in return get bug fixes, new camera support, feature enhancements and (in case a new major version comes out) an upgrade at no additional cost.

The perpetual Lightroom and C1 licence just gives you free bug fixes and new camera support. For Lightroom it specifically excludes feature enhancements and for both Lightroom and C1 you have to pay for the next major upgrade.

I also greatly favor the latter model, but that doesn't mean you "own" the software, it's merely a one-time payment that allows you to use the software.

I use both Lightroom and C1, they both have their strength and weaknesses so I try to have the best of both worlds.

algrove

I guess the word OWN was too strong, but in the long run if I "use" the copy I bought versus paying month after month I just feel I know what I have paid. In the long run, Adobe WILL increase those monthly payments and when that happens I will still be glad to be round tripping into and out of my current PS until I feel the need for another version if they still sell it. As K-H mentioned the RAW conversions and controls in C1 are very powerful for my uses.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
In the long run, Adobe WILL increase those monthly payments
Capture One is the bees knees ... just wish they would quit filling every small corner of my hard drive with a bunch of
folders that are unnecessary.

And reality is that as more subscribers enter into the LR paradigm the need to increase the monthly payment will lessen ...
especially if there is a viable threat from another software.

And truth be told the amount of money we spend on software over time is DWARFED by the amount we spend to buy
the new new thing ... be it MF ... mirrorless ... or the newest DSLR with astronomic ISO levels that are worthless ... but
so attractive to upgrade.

I resisted CC for a while ... as I had payed for the whole Adobe Suite ... ended up moving to the full CC and then when I
gave up on video moved to the very inexpensive LR / PS bundle. I pay more on gas in a month looking for sites to
photograph than I do on the software.

And I still get better results than I ever did from film ... in much less time ... scanning, dusting and spotting, proofing and printing.
Here my results are my own technical skills ... not those of a tech who is playing Pokemon Go while he finishes my order.

And having a paid for software only works if they keep up with the new new thing ... C1 is pretty good about that unless it competes with
their hardware. Or has a sensor that is a bit above their math skills.

When I pare down it will be in the incessant hardware chase your tail game ... IMHO software is chump change relatively speaking.

And yes C1 has great colors ...

Bob

Godfrey

I guess your statement presumes that C1 has never had any bugs or problems at all.
I know for a fact that this is not true.

Not to be an Adobe apologist, I've filed at least 32 bug reports with Adobe on Lightroom problems in the last year and a half. Most are annoyances, some get in my way. About 25 of them have been solved, all of them in the "annoyance" category.

This new bug is pretty bad, but it seems like they've identified a fix which will be out soon.

C1 is a good product too; I'm not terribly fond of its user interface and workflow, that's why I don't use it. It's good to have options.

G

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
C1 is a good product too; I'm not terribly fond of its user interface and workflow, that's why I don't use it. It's good to have options.
Have you considered taking a Capture One Class?

I can almost guarantee I can change your mind on the user interface and workflow. It does have a larger learning curve, but once you're over the hump it is almost unquestionably more powerful, flexible, and better adapted to different needs, workflows, and screens. The improved image quality is a bonus on top.

As the ultimate indication, I would point out how rare it is to find someone who has switched from capture one to light room ( and when you do, it's almost always because they don't support Other medium format cameras) and how common it is to find someone who was switched from light room to capture one.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Maybe semantics, but if you read the license agreement before installing you will notice you do not own the software (neither C1 nor Lightroom). You only have the right to use the software on one or more computers (don't know exactly how many).

The only difference between Lightroom CC on the one hand and Lightroom "perpetual" / C1 on the other hand is that with CC you pay a monthly subscription for which you in return get bug fixes, new camera support, feature enhancements and (in case a new major version comes out) an upgrade at no additional cost.

The perpetual Lightroom and C1 licence just gives you free bug fixes and new camera support. For Lightroom it specifically excludes feature enhancements and for both Lightroom and C1 you have to pay for the next major upgrade.

I also greatly favor the latter model, but that doesn't mean you "own" the software, it's merely a one-time payment that allows you to use the software.

I use both Lightroom and C1, they both have their strength and weaknesses so I try to have the best of both worlds.
Yes, just semantics/legalese.

When you buy a print of a photo you don't (usually) "own" the image itself. But you can use the print in its intended usage forever. Likewise you don't "own" c1's source code (eg you can't change the name of the app and resell it as yours) but you can use the software to do your work.

Godfrey

Have you considered taking a Capture One Class?

I can almost guarantee I can change your mind on the user interface and workflow. It does have a larger learning curve, but once you're over the hump it is almost unquestionably more powerful, flexible, and better adapted to different needs, workflows, and screens. The improved image quality is a bonus on top.

As the ultimate indication, I would point out how rare it is to find someone who has switched from capture one to light room ( and when you do, it's almost always because they don't support Other medium format cameras) and how common it is to find someone who was switched from light room to capture one.
Taking a class will make me more proficient in its use, but does not ameliorate the fact that I don't particularly like the UI design and workflow. Good software should not require a class to learn the basics; it should present itself in a way that reveals its underlying logic simply, providing a positive learning experience such that the user is led to the more complex portions of the software's functionality with ease and motivation.

Your data is skew to my observations: In my local photography workshop group, about half the folks there used C1 and Photoshop five years ago, the others Photoshop or Aperture. Now the vast majority use Lightroom, supplemented by Photoshop to a greater or lesser degree. Only two of those folks use medium format digital at all.

G

algrove

I guess your statement presumes that C1 has never had any bugs or problems at all.
I know for a fact that this is not true. G
Your presumption is wrong.

I am simply talking about serious printing issues going on with Adobe and if one must do prints for a gallery, sales purposes, self, or any other reason today where you do not have the option of waiting until some August fix, you will have color problems today.

Godfrey

Your presumption is wrong.

I am simply talking about serious printing issues going on with Adobe and if one must do prints for a gallery, sales purposes, self, or any other reason today where you do not have the option of waiting until some August fix, you will have color problems today.
Ah, so your statement was simply hyperbole.

The 'fix' if you need to print today is to reverse your installation back one revision with either Photoshop or Lightroom. It's only the very latest revision that has the printing problem. Nothing to get your knickers in such a twist about, although admittedly a bit of a pain in the butt.

This is why it is always sensible to test a new revision thoroughly before installing it, and is why I prefer the personally managed, perpetual license versions of the distribution rather than the auto-update, subscription version rather than all the rather overstated hell and damnation about being locked into a subscription. I want to be able to test my production system thoroughly prior to adopting a new version.

Adobe makes it rather difficult to find the direct download page for prior releases of the standalone products, but it's here—this is the Lightroom page:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

(I keep a copy of every release installer for just these sorts of eventualities and problems.)

From there you can download Lightroom 6.5.1 and print properly with it. If you've made adjustments that utilize LR 6.6 new features, export your work for printing as a 16bit TIFF from LR 6.6 first before incorporating it into a new LR 6.5.1 catalog.

G