The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Consensus on Adobe Creative Cloud?

routlaw

I'm still using PS CS6 and LR 6 but became curious recently about Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, as much for its abundance of other programs as anything else. They provide a number of other programs I think might be helpful and fun to use. So for those who have bellied up to the bar for the entire package would love to hear about the pros and cons and if its really worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm still using PS CS6 and LR 6 but became curious recently about Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, as much for its abundance of other programs as anything else. They provide a number of other programs I think might be helpful and fun to use. So for those who have bellied up to the bar for the entire package would love to hear about the pros and cons and if its really worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Being forced into the subscription model really pi**es me off but I have to say that now my ire at that has abated, it works for me - always up to date with the latest version, always has the right camera and lens profiles, easy to de- and re-authorise so you can switch machines a lot, and good value if you get the photo bundle. Throughly recommended - as long as you don't hit the dreaded update glitches: one of my machines simply won't allow it to install the newer versions even having deleted the older ones and nothing and no one seems to help...

Jan

The name cloud does not reply apply, but that aside.

For the basic subscription you get Photoshop, Bridge and Lightroom and access to the Behance platform (perhaps that part comes the closest to cloud). Anyway, I am pretty content with it. Uninstalling previous versions seems a bit of pain in the rear but I am not too concerned about that, more annoying is the fact that you have to re-install 3rd party plug-ins.

One subscription will allow you to use it one two computers and deleting/adding computers works like a charm. All and all, I am a happy customer for the money spend also knowing that whenever new features come available you download them without having to fork out upgrade cost (another cloud aspect).

pegelli

I don't think there is any consensus on the issue, since everybody needs are different.

I'm still a happy user of the perpetual licensed CS3 version of Photoshop (it does all I need and a lot more) as well as Lightroom 6 (now on version 6.7).
I find for upgrading Lightroom only the subscription version is too expensive, but if you want (need) both Photoshop and Lightroom latest versions the subscription is not a bad deal vs. buying the upgrades on an ~18 month interval.

Only disadvantage for me is that I will have to wait for a few new Lightroom features until Lightroom 7 comes out and I upgrade. But I can live with that for the money saved.

JohnBrew

Being forced into the subscription model really pi**es me off but I have to say that now my ire at that has abated, it works for me - always up to date with the latest version, always has the right camera and lens profiles, easy to de- and re-authorise so you can switch machines a lot, and good value if you get the photo bundle. Throughly recommended - as long as you don't hit the dreaded update glitches: one of my machines simply won't allow it to install the newer versions even having deleted the older ones and nothing and no one seems to help...
I was forced into going CC when I had a glitch with the new Windows 10 and I got the dreaded "dark" screen. My PS6 would not re-load and Adobe was no help. I think CC stinks. The upgrades are forced upon you and you cannot open PS or LR until you perform the upgrades. The upgrades come with little or no explanation. Your favorite tools are moved to new locations and you can't find them. I'm a creature of habit and I get upset when my habits are jacked with. With the latest upgrade comes a advertisement for their new "Adobe Stock" attempting to lure you into their new enterprise which takes a commanding presence on your screen. Total BS. Or should I call it what it really is, the "Big Brother" of digital photo developing, just taking options away from the end user.
Tim may like his, but I don't like it and I don't recommend it at this time.

routlaw

Thanks for all the input on my OP. John, just curious about your woes with CC, is it possible that your experiences are something unique to Windows 10 or do you think this is common with all OS be it Mac or Windows? Regardless like you those issues would really annoy me as well.

Thanks

Rob

JohnBrew

Hi Rob, sorry to be so late in replying. I detailed a few things I don't like about CC, but going further I don't like that every time I download my images from card they are put in a new folder with a date. I used to have just one folder I could download to (for a specific camera or subject), now I find I have multiple folders and sub-folders everywhere. If you attempt to combine them, it just creates sub-folders. It just seems messy to me and my bridge page is now more crowded than ever. I suppose the old way seemed simple to me (KISS) and now it's a bit bewildering. Bad marks to PS for having to update the software before you can open it if an update is pending. I don't switch cameras enough to need 99% of what's updated. Perhaps this comes from not being a computer geek. Double bad marks to Windows 10 also. Sure wish I had stayed with Windows 7.
I apologize that this is more of a rant than a contribution.

pegelli

Hi Rob, sorry to be so late in replying. I detailed a few things I don't like about CC, but going further I don't like that every time I download my images from card they are put in a new folder with a date. I used to have just one folder I could download to (for a specific camera or subject), now I find I have multiple folders and sub-folders everywhere. If you attempt to combine them, it just creates sub-folders.
John, you can easily override this behavior. In the destination tab unselect the checkmark "Into Subfolder" and then below that select the drive/path/directory on your computer in which you want the files to end up. Only caveat is I use LR 6.8 "perpetual license", but I think there is no difference in the import dialog between "perpetual" and CC

JohnBrew

Thanks. Well, yes, I think there is a difference. I do what you suggested but still end up with sub-folders. The old way worked when I had the perpetual license just as you suggest. There is a new selection window which is probably due to Windows 10!

Jim DE

I personally don't like or use any thing related to the "cloud". no my mac's, my iPhones, or definitely anything with that friggin Adobe badge on it. I got so mad at their non english speaking CS techs that I uninstalled a 2 week old purchased stand alone LR6 while on the phone with these idiots. I keep a stand alone CS6 just in case but when it no longer works on my Mac's it will be no Adobe softwares for me......... their CS techs really wound me up.

That said I still hang on to my Aperture3 knowing one day it will no longer open on my macs...... I have CS6, Had LR6, DXO, Capture One, and a box full of other softwares but just can't find a current software that I can use as well or as fast as my old friend Aperture3. I know I am walking a tight rope and someday will be forced to move to something else but I dread that day.

iiiNelson

Thanks in advance.

Rob
i say this owning and using C1Pro, DXO, Aperture 3, On1 products, etc.

Adobe is still the best all around option and Lightroom continually improves. The biggest gripe for most is that it's slow if you have larger catalogs, the tethering support isn't as good as C1Pro, the microcontrast and detail may not be as good on some images at 100% or greater, etc.

the great thing is that nearly everything functions well with it. Updates come frequent and often. Profiles are upgraded and updated over time. You always have the newest version. Most software can run externally as a "plug-in" or extension... and again it usually just works without all the crashes you see with other software.

LR has its own quirks if you're not used to it but it's possibly the most straight forward RAW converter and you don't need specialized classes to get around in it. The other thing that can't be discounted is the Adobe community and how most questions can be answered quickly by someone without having to spend additional money on additional training courses/videos (though that's available too).

k-hawinkler

I am using C1P with sessions, CS6, and Nik. Those 3 apps seem well integrated.
Although I have the latest stand alone version of LR I stopped using it.
If all else fails I rely on Iridient, CS6, and Nik. I use a Mac.

I also refuse Adobe Flash Player to be installed on my Mac. Sometimes I cannot stop a malware masquerading as Adobe Flash Player to download to my Mac. I believe some YouTube sites may be infected. But I do not allow it to be installed and use antivirus app ClamXav to delete it. ClamXav is no longer available from Apple's AppStore but one can download it for a small fee from the app developer's site.

Last edited:

algrove

The CC Cloud got me to drop LR and start trying other software and I am so glad I did that as I have not used my stand alone LR6 in nearly a year. I now mainly use C1, PS6 (stand alone) and Nik on my Mac.

That CC is such a sham to me. I look at it this way. If I pay say an average of $10/month for the next 10 years that would be $1200. We all know that after 20 years and plenty of price increases Adobe products will be sucking plenty from your wallet every month. Don't for one minute think it will stay at current pricing levels. The only reason it is $10 for now it that they have not gotten enough subcribers into their CC program. I would rather just buy a stand alone here and there if available rather than commitimg myself to paying Adobe to be able to process my RAW's for the rest of my photographic life which for an old fart like me will be around 25 more years.

If by chance Adobe will not issue LR7 in a stand alone version, then there are plenty of other software companies to try. I have just gotten ON1 (as a backup/insurance software) to see how it works, but have been too busy with captures and trips to try it in earnest as yet.

Adobe's current philosophy is spawning new software to be developed and offered. Everyone should hope other companies offer RAW processors as competition to Adobe so that their current monthly fees stay around current levels for the time being.

Consensus? None here.

sirimiri

While I'm sure the CC model has its virtues, of the vices as I see them, is that if you stop paying you can't use your previous proprietary files you may have invested many, many hours in.

It seems manifestly tilted to Adobe's favor. It's been a few years and I'm still really bothered by them suddenly changing their business model and coercively exploiting their market position in doing so.

It's about choice, until suddenly one day you have none.

Rachael Alice

Not Available
New subscription always worthwhile because it comes with lots of new and advance feature as compare to previous one. So i don't have any issue or complaint about that.