The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

nikon 8000/9000 film carrier masks to scan xpan

woodyspedden

Nikon makes a special glass carrier for the 5000/9000 for the XPan format. God awful expensive (used to be about $350!) but works a charm.

Woody

drazin

i have the glass carrier (FH-869G) and it comes with 2 black plastic strips. the problem is i do not know how to use them. the 2 together cover the entire glass frame. one by itsself only covers one set of holes in the neg. not sure what to do. can someone take a photo of how it should look?

drazin

anyone got any info? i got 7 rolls of xpan'd slides coming back today looking to get some info before i attempt to scan them!

Lars

i have the glass carrier (FH-869G) and it comes with 2 black plastic strips. the problem is i do not know how to use them. the 2 together cover the entire glass frame. one by itsself only covers one set of holes in the neg. not sure what to do. can someone take a photo of how it should look?
My FH-869G came with these very thin black frames to be used as spacing with MF film. Those would not be useful with 35mm film.

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that there were some 35mm wide black plastic strips for the 35 mm film holder FH-835S as well, so you could block one opening if you only used one. Are those what you are referring to?

drazin

the thin black plastic strips are for spacing of MF film? are you sure? MF film fits perfectly in the glass carrier...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am pretty sure you are supposed to use them with multiple strips of negatives on the glass carrier when BATCH scanning to eliminate the white frame gaps which would otherwise affect exposure -- even are supposed to use them to fill in the unused row on the dual row 35 tray, and with 16mm on the glass tray. However, if you are scanning one frame or strip at a time and pull the scan area borders back to the image, then it is moot and you don't need them. Personally, I never have needed or used them. Another tip for that scanner is to buy VueScan to run it. Funky UI but lots faster and cleaner, and as sharp of scan than Nikon's software delivers.

drazin

i own vuescan. i am scanning 2 panoramic negatives at a time and on the glass surface of the MF glass carrier. when i dont mask out the sides, i get a weird bloom and light leak near the film spoke holes.....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I misunderstood -- I was referring to the wider single strips of black plastic about the size of 35mm film, not the MF spacer cutouts. Does anybody bother with the white pads? I've personally never bothered and not noticed any issues...

Lars

Jack - No I never bothered with the pads.

Funny thing is, in my glass holder, the top glass (the "lid") had the matte surface up and glossy side down. If that was indeed anti-newton glass then wouldn't you expect the matte side to be down? I turned it over, and replaced the bottom glass with multicoated art glass, and now I have much less Newton rings. But they are still there.

drazin - I used black paper at first but it's difficult to cut a clean edge without any loose fibers so try to find plastic like maybe a presentation file folder in thin black plastic. If you have to use paper, make sure you use a supersharp knife, prefeably a scalpel with a fresh blade.

drazin

i think i might not have the right masks.... after searching around more.. it looks like the panoramic masks only come with the ROTATING glass carrier which is not the one i have... the 2 black masks which i have, are not for panoramic film...

this sucks. i also read that they sold replacement pano masks for the rotating carrier which would work in the regular. anyone got a lead on where i could get that? ebay/b&h have none.

drazin

on a similar note, why do all my previews have histograms like this (bunched up on the dark side) and are super dark? for the life of me, i can not get a full spectrum! any ideas?