The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CI PRO WORKFLOW answers needed

charlesphoto

Okay, just upgraded to Pro and intend to wean myself off of LR for good. I've read the manual and watched the videos but a few questions linger, mostly with their confusing Library (this is where LR trumps C1 imo).

SESSIONS: just what are sessions and why should I use them? How do they differ from Importing? Keep in mind I'm not shooting tethered - why do I need to open a session vs just opening the folder of RAW images under the Library tab?

IMPORTING: okay, I think I have a bug because when I click Import some of the menu bar items gray out and the program pretty much freezes up and I have to force quit ("Quit Capture One" grays out - very frustrating). I need to contact Phase later today but anyone else have this issue?

Okay, lets say I'm working on a folder of my images on a striped drive and archive the images on another mirror drive. Can I copy just the folder of C1 cache settings from the stripe set to the archive set and retain the settings with the archive set?

I think that's it for now. One thing I really hope an upgrade has is the ability to customize the TAB bar. For example, I never shoot tethered so I would like to lose the camera tab altogether, and move the Process tab next to the Q tab and so on. Just like one can do now with the Toolbar.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Charles

robertwright

you should read the whole pdf instructions on their website, it will explain it all.

in a nutshell, the capture one library is not a library in any sense that you would think. It is a place that captures (can) go if you are shooting tethered, also Output, Trash, Move to. that is if you accept the defaults. You can assign any folder these functions.

Inside the library is the .col45 file, that only retains window settings. it has no image data.

There is another CaptureOne folder that has Cache and Settings45 folders inside. this is the moneymaker.

for example you can run capture one just like a file browser and put you images wherever you want and navigate to them. C1 will write that pesky folder CaptureOne there and that is where it stores the settings and previews. should you create another folder for output and trash for example, you could have it all in one place instead of accepting the default for output which is this Library file in Users/Pictures.

what you would have done in that case is essentially create a session. a session is just a folder with all of this in it. double clicking the session file launches the session. but you can just navigate to it and browse it.

creating a session makes all those subfolders, output, trash, moveto etc all in one place. for example if you are on a shoot and have shot 1, 2, 3 etc, you create a session for each shot to keep things organized.

if things are crashing delete the .col45 file and that might help. there is nothing in there that is important to the image pipeline.

good luck. C1 makes great conversions but this is a case of a good hardware company making crappy software. think sony...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My basic session workflow is as follows, but there are several different and equally as good ways to do it:

1) Create a session, giving it a name you can get back to. I sort my images by year, and then shoot name, and I use the session name as the shoot name. The session creation window also sets up a session "move to" "trash" and "output" subfolders at the same time. You can optionally rename these to anything you want. I use the stock names; move to for my session best, the trash for session trashes -- note that trash does not delete the files, just puts them in the session trash folder so you don't have to view them along with your keepers. For the output folder, here I have my recipe create a separate subfolder for jpegs, run a few different recipes when processing and have the jpegs sent to the output/jpegs folder.

2) Then you import your card images into the session, or shoot directly into that session or both. In addition, you can create subfolders for each import or shoot into that same session folder.

So for example, we might have a shoot for BevMo. Here I would name the session, Image Storage/2009/BevMo_April. Then inside this session folder I would shoot to subfolders maybe named like Red Wine, White Wine, Champagne, Gin, Vodka, etc. For a really big job, I might alter this and want to have a larger working folder named BevMo, then set up the individual sessions inside it, more like: Image Storage/2009/BevMo/Red Wine (as the session)/France, California, etc as the subs.

Hope that helps get you started,

charlesphoto

Thanks guys. I did have a bit of an aha moment with the sessions while working with C1 yesterday. I think what I will do is create session folders on my striped working drive and then keep those images archived on my Firmtek 5 bay drive which I will have two sets of mirror drives (and an extra jbod) one for RAW files and the other for Tiffs (I still do a lot of scanning as well). Once I'm done with a session on the working drive then the Outputs will be moved to the Tiff archive drive.

I don't know, now that I put it down on paper it seems like a lot of moving about. I'm sure I'll work it out though. I may just run it as a file browser set up as well.

I deleted some old preferences files in the user library and it runs fine now.