The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MacbookPro vs Windows-Notebook

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

On average I would say I lost at least 20 minutes each day with PC due to system problems, startup and shutdown, while with MAC it is down to 1-2 minutes.
You know, that is a good point --- I think I actually re-boot my Macs maybe once per week or once every 2 weeks on average. I do reboot after updates even though they aren't always required. And as you said, it takes less than 2 minutes to do.

jonoslack

I'm late to this party.
FWIW I was using Macs for my photography from the outset of OS X, and PC's for business. (Which is writing software for Windows).
When the intel macs came out I fiddled about with bootcamp. parallels and fusion.

Now we don't have a pc in the business - only macs - using an OSX server - which is a mac pro, and also runs Ubunto and Windows server 2008 (in fusion virtual pc's).

XP on fusion is completely fab - we have almost no crashing problems, it runs quickly and reliably, and it's great to be able to back up a whole pc to the server and copy it to any other machine. Not to mentioning travelling abroad with it backed up onto an ipod . . . if the mac were to die, then you can just buy a new one, copy the virtual machine back and carry on as before. . . It's never happened, but it certainly is a comfort if you're working hundreds of miles from home.

VMware are really helpful, and although not as flashy as parallels, it works really well.

As I say, I work with Windows every day, Xp is okay, Vista is a dog, but Windows 7 is looking good.

But the idea of going back to running it on PC's is absolute anathema. The very thought of it sends shivers down my spine!

Good luck with your new 17" - I'm jealous (I had one of the old ones, but I travel a lot, and the extra size and weight is a pain). As Jack says, photography on the glossy screens on the new unibody 15", although not perfect, is reasonably okay when on the road (you just have to make sure you don't have a window behind you!).

Paratom

OK guys, you make me really feel now that I made a good decision. I am looking forward to next week when I get it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
XP on fusion is completely fab - we have almost no crashing problems, it runs quickly and reliably, and it's great to be able to back up a whole pc to the server and copy it to any other machine.
Excellent point Jono!

I never even really considered this. But for sure, I regularly back up my entire Mac OS a few times per week using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). For you PC users, CCC can create a fully bootable back-up of your OS, including all of your programs, files, settings, and even historical email boxes! It is an identical copy of your working OS that you can boot from at any time. Obviously, Fusion is a program -- albeit a program with a complete Win OS loaded inside it -- and as such it is fully copied over inside the Mac OS clone too. Not only that, I have used the clone a few times when adding new drives, and to date I've never needed to re-activate any of my software!

weaselboy

Most notebook screens are crap compared to even midrange desktop screens. The exceptions that I know of are:
- IBM/Lenovo FlexView: On T60/T60p Thinkpads, IPS panel. No longer sold. I profiled one of these earlier this year, gamut is well stretched and rendering hardly changes with viewing angle.
- HP's DreamColor 17" display on the current 8730w is marketed as wide gamut. It's also very expensive. It has RGB LED backlighting which (in theory) allows for proper white balance setting in the lighting rather than in software.
- Dell Studio XPS 17" has a similar option to HP, also supposedly covering Adobe RGB.
- Lenovo w700, initially there was supposed to be an optional RGB-LED backlit wide gamut panel. I'm not sure if that's available yet. Note that there are several display panel options for the w700, not all are wide gamut.
- Apple Macbook Pro 17". Wide gamut, LED-backlit.

You see the pattern here - all current high-end choices are 17". It wouldn't be surprising if they all use the same panel as base.

Below 17" there seems to be little or nothing to consider if you want high-end. Apple possibly uses MVA or PVA panels in the 15" but it won't stand up to a comparison with a good desktop display, certainly not your CG.

In this crop the 17" Apple is actually the cheapest and lightest, plus it likely has the best battery life. So if the display really is what Apple claims then it's a bit of a bargain. Just beware of the glossy version!

If I were you I would try to find someone with a profiled current 17" MBP and ask for the profile so you can examine it for yourself. I can probably get you a profile from the IBM FlexView as reference.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever looked at BoxxTech's GoBoxxes? While I do have one of their workstations, I've never invested in a laptop (ANY laptop) so I would have no idea how good or bad their screens are compared to the ones you listed, and it's something I've always been curious about since Boxx specializes in workstations for graphics professionals.