The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wetmounting on a Nikon 8000/9000

Lars

Some illustrations, since I did a wet scan yesterday.

What you see is a strip of MF film on the glass surface facing the camera, with a cover sheet on top, and wetmounting fluid that by its surface tension keeps everything in place.

On the underside are two strips of black tape to mask out the area outside the MF strip.

In one of the illustrations you can see a small light circle, that's a bubble that I have not yet squeezed out. You can also tell from the reflections that the surface is not perfectly mirror flat, that's because specks of dust have been captured in the wetmounting - my home office isn't dust free. ICE will take care of most of that, but I do find it necessary to do a manual dust removal pass on a wetscanned image.

Lars

One more illustration. The scanned image is a stitch from two separate 6x9 exposures, and they are in the "wrong" order so they don't match up on the strip.

Lloyd

Thanks Lars. I'm feeling a little embarrassed... if I had read the title to the thread, I would have asked the obvious. Oops!:eek:

Lars

Hehe :) In another thread I described how I modified one of the trays for wetmounting by gutting it and inserting glass instead. The scan fluid I used here is cigarrette lighter fluid (which is pure naphta) but I also have a good stock of Kami fluid for my drum scanner. The cover sheets are from Freestyle Photographic in L.A.

Lars

BTW for anyone planning to run a Nikon scanner on 64-bit Vista, Nikon's drivers aren't properly signed so 64-bit Vista won't accept them (though 32-bit Vista is less picky). There is a method to get 64-bit Vista to accept the unsigned drivers, though Nikon doesn't help you out. I have the details on my scanning station, please ping me if anyone needs it.