The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

how do you do this

viablex1

I assume it is some desaturation with a combination of filters? any suggestions would be appreciated!! I figure the pros on here would know!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
In Photoshop it is pretty easy. Basically you can copy the image layer so you have two identical layers. Then you turn one into the B&W (or sepia tone in this case) and mask back in any color elements from the full color layer you want to show.

Here is a really quick example:

The color image:

Same image converted to B&W on a layer:

Colored egg showing through the B&W by masking out that portion of the B&W image:

Cheers,

viablex1

I figured you would know for sure, duplicating the layers I get and changing one to another color I also get but I am not great with masks, is there a tutorial page I could look at? I mean I figure most everyone on here knows photoshop better than I do but I have a photo I want to try this on. would you just use a blend mode etc?

viablex1

hey thanks,

I was also messing around with textures a little bit as well

and this is what I came up with...I think the guy is definitely using masks but some of his other stuff seem to have some texture in them...