The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noise problems with CO Pro 4.7

jjphoto

I've relucently upgraded from 3.7.8 to C1 Pro 4.7 and am having trouble with noise when I never did prevoiously. I've tried playing with various sharpness and noise setting but I'm still noticing more noise then I ever did with 3.7.8.

I'm using Canon 1dsMk2 and 40d and at 100ISO so noise shouldn't be a problem.

Any advice on settings would be appreciated. I'm not interested in third party software as that just doesn't fit my needs.

Also, where on the net do all the C1 users hang out? Phase One has killed off it's own forum, presumably because they got sick of all the bad comments about V4.

Thanks JJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
JJ,

there is an issue with NR settings in C1 if you set your defaults to something different than the factory defaults. They are working on a fix, so for right now leave the Lum and Color NR settings at their factory defaults and adjust from there.

jjphoto

Thanks Jack

Does that mean that you also need to leave the sharpening settings to default or just the noise reduction settings? Also, any idea what the defaults are, I'm pretty sure I've altered those to a new default setting?

Thanks
JJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No, it is a specific issue with the NR defaults. If you click on the little arrow at the top of the NR dialog, you will see an option to reset to factory defaults.

cam

ooh! thank you for starting this thread and letting others know! about to upgrade to PRO as i have a large number of photos from my nephew's bar mitzvah -- some of them in very low light... i would have been quite cranky had i not known ahead of time!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Cam:

The NR in C1 works normally if the defaults are not reset off factory base settings. The issue crops up when you alter the factory defaults, so it should work fine on current images.

Jack

cam

i reset them to factory as you recommended -- so all should be fine.

i was just thanking JJ and yourself for bringing it to my attention. if i hadn't known, i would have been very grumpy and frustrated.... one of the joys of this forum and all that -- a heads up for potential issues nipped in the bud!

thomas

No, it is a specific issue with the NR defaults
I have the same issue with sharpening as well. When I set a sharpening default the values are shown in the numeric fields, however the C1 default is set. The same with NR. Tricky!
But as to the sharpening you can choose one from the predefined sharpening settings (e.g. "version 3 soft look") and set it as default - this way it works. You just can't set your customized settings as default.
Regards, Thomas

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sure you can, do it all the time. Sharpening amounts you can set as a default, Clarity you can not and that needs to be changed

thomas

Sure you can, do it all the time. Sharpening amounts you can set as a default, Clarity you can not and that needs to be changed
Guy, yes you can set certain settings, save them as default and when you apply your default the respective values appear in the numeric fields as expected. The strange thing is: in the background the C1 setting is applied - either way which values are shown in the numeric fields!
Try something obvious: set 40-0.5-0 as sharpeing values. Save them as setting. Set them as default. Click on an image and apply the default by hitting the arrow icon. Now open the little menu with your sharpening settings and choose the stored setting 40-0.5-0 ... you will notice that first now the right setting is applied.
So you can save settings and apply them - but you can't set them as default. It's the same with NR.
Regards, Thomas

Guy Mancuso

Might of lost you here but every image that comes in is set to a customized default that I set. Regardless of file or camera

thomas

every image that comes in is set to a customized default that I set. Regardless of file or camera
same here! But now check if it is REALLY your setting! As I mentioned: the values show up in the numeric fields correctly... so far so good. But the values are not applied!

Try my little example I just posted...
- set a very low sharpening setting
- save it as preset
- then safe it as default
- go to another image
- set the sharpening to your newly saved default by clicking on the little arrow icon
- now set the sharpening to the same values but not by clicking on the arrow icon but by choosing it from list of your presets

Regards, Thomas

thomas

I'm getting identical settings.
so this seems to be a bug that only occurs on certain OS' or configurations. I'm on a new Mac Pro with 10.5.7 and the first version of C1 installed on this machine was version 4.7. Nevertheless I made a clean install when updating the last version (4.8.1.).
In the Phase Forum Windows users reported about that, too.
Really strange.
Regards, Thomas

thomas

Just to make it clear again...

First grab - no sharpening.

Second grab - I've set the values 40-0.5-0.0 as default and clicked on the arrow icon to apply my default. The values 40-0.5-0.0 show up.

Third grab - I've opened the little menu and applied 40-0.5-0.0 from the list of saved presets.

Beyond doubt second and third grab should show the same, but they don't.
Tough 40-0.5-0.0 is set in the second grab C1 applies its own default in the background.
It's the same with NR. So be careful especially regarding luminance NR that is set to 25 even for ISO50 shots. First if you set your settings manually (or from the preset list) the respective values are really set.

Regards, Thomas

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yep, I think it is the same issue as the noise? I just set up a preset with my values and apply it, and of course did the same for NR. Stupid workaround, but it's all we have until they fix allowing our own new defaults to stick --- In fact, I really want this for EVERY tool! On the other side of the coin, the factory defaults while a bit aggressive for my tastes are not horrible for most images, though it can add some minor artifacts to high frequency detail areas...

thomas

Yep, I think it is the same issue as the noise?
exactly the same.
The nasty thing with NR is that it's really hard to see especially in low ISO captures. I mean... if the slider is set to zero would you think about it? No. But finally you see there is something strange in the images and you go back and search what is going on.
This is a kind of bug I find very serious.
Strange that on some machines it doesn't seem to occur.
Regards, Thomas

Guy Mancuso

Jack called me and explained it verbally, sometimes takes a moment to get through my dense head. LOL

I agree needs to be fixed NOW

Have to try it again on my machine . I have 4.8 loaded