The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture 2

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just downloaded the new trial version of Version 2 and have to say this is really nice. This is worth a try, lot's of control

I am able to pull some serious detail out of the M8 files

Guy Mancuso

From what I can gather we can shoot tethered also. I like LR better but this is interesting to play with

simonclivehughes

Nice, Guy. I've got my upgrade on order. I bought Aperture with my MBP but couldn't get into the workflow enough to replace CS3. With the additional functionality and the more streamlined GUI, this seems like it might be a a good, single program for me. It's especially encouraging to note that 3rd party plug-ins can now be developed.

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Not sure I would switch from LR but this tethered option that comes with Aperture maybe worth the 200 bucks since I really could use a real tethered software. I have to try this and make sure it works. LR and Aperture are very similar . I give the nod to LR because the workflow seems smoother but Apple has done better here. The problem is it is a Mac program and until PC users can use it than it is a real problem for universal appeal. In the photo world having a specialized program is not a good thing when your dealing with art directors, graphic designers and others that will wind up working raw files. To me this would be only a secondary program for a certain thing like tethered until Leica comes out with a better capture software or C1 and LR could support such a function.

Maggie O

This obviously marks me as a old newspaper hack, but why would you want to shoot with your camera connected to a computer?

Guy Mancuso

Studio work Maggie so you can see on screen and large the image shot plus any Art directors around love to see what you are doing. For studio work this is very nice to have than look at a LCD screen that is 2 inches. i also use it a lot on location for lighting reasons also. Sometimes i may have 10 strobes going and this gives you a chance to see what each one is doing. Yes the M8 does commercial work too. LOL For me the M8 has no classifications , it is a digital tool and i use it for almost anything it will work at within it's own limitations. I do NOT follow that Leica is a PJ tool only idealism.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Studio work Maggie so you can see on screen and large the image shot plus any Art directors around love to see what you are doing. For studio work this is very nice to have than look at a LCD screen that is 2 inches. i also use it a lot on location for lighting reasons also. Sometimes i may have 10 strobes going and this gives you a chance to see what each one is doing. Yes the M8 does commercial work too. LOL For me the M8 has no classifications , it is a digital tool and i use it for almost anything it will work at within it's own limitations. I do NOT follow that Leica is a PJ tool only idealism.
Sorry for the hijack here, but this post stirred something in me and has sponsored a question regarding future workshops from you guys. It seems as though most of your workshops are geared towards landscape/available light photography and processing/printing. Have you ever done or considered doing one that has more emphasis on controlled/artificial light as in studio lighting or flash?

Having done some of that work myself many, many years ago, and having been present during shoots wearing my advertising director hat, I have a healthy respect for the miracles that can be achieved in pursuit of commercial photography.

What is the possibility of a workshop that might include studio/location lighting?

Thanks

Maggie O

I've never worked in a photo studio, but it sounds a lot like working in a recording studio, where the ad execs keep asking you, "could you play that back?' after every take!

When you're working tethered do you keep the camera on a tripod or move around or both?

Guy Mancuso

Sorry for the hijack here, but this post stirred something in me and has sponsored a question regarding future workshops from you guys. It seems as though most of your workshops are geared towards landscape/available light photography and processing/printing. Have you ever done or considered doing one that has more emphasis on controlled/artificial light as in studio lighting or flash?

Having done some of that work myself many, many years ago, and having been present during shoots wearing my advertising director hat, I have a healthy respect for the miracles that can be achieved in pursuit of commercial photography.

What is the possibility of a workshop that might include studio/location lighting?

Thanks
Very possible and something I would love to do. Hopefully we can put one together in June since outside temps are not a issue. We can rent a studio in almost any major city and put one on. New York and San Francisco would be my choices.

Guy Mancuso

I've never worked in a photo studio, but it sounds a lot like working in a recording studio, where the ad execs keep asking you, "could you play that back?' after every take!

When you're working tethered do you keep the camera on a tripod or move around or both?
Pretty much just like that Maggie they love to drive you crazy. LOL.

You can shoot on tripod or off , you just need to be connected via firewire or USB to the computer. Depends on what you are shooting for me Fashion would be off and still's would be on a tripod. Also location stuff I am mostly off the tripod.

Daniel

I think shooting tethered with an M8 will draw a lot on the battery relatively quick. Yes/No?

When I leave the M8 connected via USB, I notice that it warms up a bit. so, I'm assuming that this setup would draw on the battery.

By the way, I tried the tethered feature on Aperture 2 with the M8 and it's simple:

1. Create a project for your session
    [*]FILE | TETHER | START SESSION
    [*]Tether Setting appears: define your settings and click on Start Session

[*]Initiate the capture from Aperture or initiate the capture on the M8

Upload to Aperture after each shot is relatively quick. A couple of seconds.

The tethered feature doesn't apply to my work, but I like it's simplicity. Nice.

Guy Mancuso

Not sure about battery, I would imagine it would go a little faster. I will have to try this tethered

M

Mitch Alland

For a change I had some free time today and was able to download the trial version of A2 and hence can now answer my own questions:

1. No, A2 is not a photo editing programme and doesn't have selection tools that allow selective burning and dodging.

2. But it is very good at overall editing and its default setting result in an excellent, subtle, rendition both in colour and B&W. For me that is the starting point because I then proceed to "destroy" this "exquisite" rendition to get the type of expressive prints that I want. However, I believe most people will be quite pleased with the default settings, which really do have excellent sharpening and noise reduction settings.

3. While I feel that the A2 default settings are better than those of LightRoom, the latter, for me at least, is a much more intuitive user interface: I like the contact-sheet type view of LR much better and the way of going from the view to the Develop facility, as well as the way exporting tiff and jpg files are handled is much more intuitive than A2.

4. As I use LR for RAW file viewing management and then do everything in LightZone the intuitiveness of LR is important I'm going to continue to use it rather than switching to A2. But user who want to do the type of editing that LR and A2 are designed for may wish to consider A2 because of it's beautiful rendiition.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Guy Mancuso

Mitch sorry I did not reply yet and you figured it out some. I like the LR interface also much better and your right out of the box A2 looks pretty good. i will play more with it myself and try the tethered part as soon as i am done fixing my house. Seems everything broke while I was gone. This handy man guy stuff has to end somewhere . :cussing: