The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture 2

W

wbrandsma

It is a shame it is only a Mac app. I think the full mode display with the HUD is great, especially on a notebook. And I also think the Light Table is a great feature.

M

Mitch Alland

Wouter:

Are you now using both Aperture 2 and LightZone, in which case how do you use them together? I've been trying A2 and am beginning to like it a lot, but for the "non-exquisite", high-contrast look that I want I prefer to do everything on LZ. On the other hand, if I wanted a more exquisite look, or colour photos, for that matter, I would probably start using A2.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Maggie O

I'm really tempted to get it, especially since I got that 50mm Heliar Classic for my birthday, thus slaking my thirst for 50mm bokeh.

W

wbrandsma

Wouter:

Are you now using both Aperture 2 and LightZone, in which case how do you use them together? I've been trying A2 and am beginning to like it a lot, but for the "non-exquisite", high-contrast look that I want I prefer to do everything on LZ. On the other hand, if I wanted a more exquisite look, or colour photos, for that matter, I would probably start using A2.

—Mitch/Bangkok
I am a PC guy :( so I use the Lightroom/Lightzone combination. I would love to see Aprture available for the PC as I really like some of the features in Aperture. There are some things I miss in Lightroom, like a real full screen mode and besides the Vibrancy option I am not really happy with the raw conversion for my GX100 files. As mentioned before I think the Light Table is a great way to arrange my photographs.
I agree with you that you can push the contrast of your raw files further with Lightzone than with Lightroom for instance without pushing the boundaries (to get noise form one or more colourchannels).

M

Mitch Alland

Wouter:

I've had some more time this afternoon to play with A2 and must say that I'm beginning to like it: for adjustments I think it's much better than LR. The spotting and patching tools are very effective. I found that I can push contrast quite a bit; and combining that with Vignetting I can get results that I like. That means that I could use A2 and then go to LZ only for selective dodging and burning — anyway I'm beginning to think about this.

The thing that I haven't figured out is whether LR may be easier to use for image management, that is just for viewing the RAW files. What do you think?Maybe Maggie has some ideas on this as well, as she uses LZ.

—Mitch/Bangkok

jonoslack

Hi Everyone
I've been using Aperture for over a year. Once or twice I've got frustrated with it's lack of support for various cameras and tried to bail out . . . . . but to no avail.
As for the interface, I think it knocks LR into a cocked hat - it did before, but now I REALLY think it does.
I've just been processing a batch of raw files with the adjustment hud on one monitor, and the photo on the other full screen, with NOTHING else showing, there are single key shortcuts for the various crop/straighten/retouch options, the clone and 'heal' tools so you can work on the photo with no distractions, but with all options available.
The printing options are fine, one of the reasons that I always came back is that you can produce decent large prints straight from the application (always felt that LR loses the plot above 12X16).
The web output isn't as flashy (literally) but I find it easy and attractive, on the other hand, the DAM facilities also seem much better than LR. It's a pity you can't select areas as you can in Lightzone, or it would be a complete killer.

:clap:

Daniel

It's a pity you can't select areas as you can in Lightzone, or it would be a complete killer.
on your last note, niksoftware will be releasing a plug-in, Viveza, for Photoshop. if you've tried Nikon Capture NX, and like the interface, then i think you'll like this plugin. not sure if i can accurately compare this with Lightzone, but it goes about accomplishing the same or similar results as Ligthzone differently. that is, using "control points".

Viveza will not be out until April 2008.

http://www.niksoftware.com/viveza/usa/entry.php?view=intro/viveza_announcement.shtml

demo video:
http://niktrainingvideos.com/video/viveza/viveza_intro/viveza_intro.html

LJL

...and if Apple gets its plug-in SDK out soon, there may be some of these third-party software tools available for Aperture also. I would love to have that Viveza plug-in working in Aperture. That would be an outstanding tool set for doing some really creative work.

LJ

M

Mitch Alland

I have been looking at the tutorials on the Apple website and, trying A2 out, and find it to be a dazzling piece of software. I think it's rendering of RAW files and it's editing tools are superior to Lightroom. But as I don't have any volume so to speak of I can afford to work picture by picture — and for this the fantastic LightZone selection tools are compelling.

This morning I carefully compared four pictures that I edited in A2 and LightZone, three B&W and one colour. Because of selective burning and dodging I like the B&W pictures edited in LightZone a little better than the ones edited in A2. In contrast, I find easier to edit colour pictures in A2, in which I've achieved better results than in LightZone, but I don't print many colour pictures.

Because I use the ImagePrint RIP for printing I have to prepare in Photoshop the TIFF files exported from LightZone, which means that under the best of circumstances I have to use two pieces of software. Adding A2 to these two doesn't make much sense to me, unless I do more colour, in which case I wouldn't use LightZone for colour.

—Mitch/Bangkok

S

sirvine

IMO, Aperture took the lead with this release. If nothing else, the Moire control is worth its weight in gold for M8 files.

David K

Workshop Member
I tried the first release of Aperture and found it terrible, but A2 is a huge improvement. I've been using LR for a while now and like it a lot but A2 has some really great features, especially for dual monitor users (working in full screen mode on one monitor with the HUD on the other). I'm still learning A2 but really like what I see so far. The Loupe is a feature worth it's weight in gold to me. Whether I use LR or A2 I still do some editing in CS3 then print via the Image Print RIP. Do any of you A2 users know a way to make Photoshop launch and open an image once it's been processed. It's no big deal to launch PS and open the image from the finder but it would be more convenient if it did so automatically.

David K

Workshop Member
Found out the answer to my own question... thought I'd pass it along. After processing the file right click on the image and select "edit with" from the list.

F

Flavio

I concur the sirvine report. A2 is a very good step ahead from 1.5.6 and runs good even on my Powerbook G4 1.67. I find A2 a completely different product than 1.5.6.

David K

Workshop Member
Just tried shooting the M8 tethered in A2... no problems at all. Software recognizes that a Leica M8 is attached and allows for taking the shot either with the shutter release or by mouse click within the program. Good way to get those wide open Noct shots in focus :)

Maggie O

Just tried shooting the M8 tethered in A2... no problems at all. Software recognizes that a Leica M8 is attached and allows for taking the shot either with the shutter release or by mouse click within the program. Good way to get those wide open Noct shots in focus :)
Wouldn't have to use the self-timer on long exposures, either, I reckon. :thumbup:

E

espressogeek

I had a bad experience with aperture 1 but I might give 2 another go. I downloaded it the other night but I just decided to wait to try it out as I didnt have much time. The loupe enhancements look nice btw.

I recall reading that capture 1 emphasizes a different set of frequencies, or something to that effect, when sharpening which gives it a more film like or traditional look. Has anyone tried to process the files out of C1 and Aperture 2 and compare the effect their respective sharpening has on the file? I suppose with a M8 that is not really an issue but for the other digital shooters it might be.

I am also excited about the sdk support but I would really like to see OEM provided raw developer plugins as I was not crazy about the raw processing in general with Aperture 1.