The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 Pro -- Could not generate preview?

cam

the newest version of C1 Pro will not let me generate a preview of the one image i want -- all the others seem to be fine (pics before and after)....

i'm on a 17" mac powerbook and my shots are DNG from an M8.

any workarounds?

cam

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

i have honestly never had this happen before and i am NOT enjoying it! one picture? one out of an entire card?

is this a special M8 feature?

honestly.... i've had a card go bad before, but never one single image.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Cam:

This is an interesting issue and Guy and I have a theory... For whatever reason, bad or finicky card readers seem to create random file corruptions, but -- and this is the weird part -- they seem to do it far more often to DNG's :wtf:

Anyway, our advice is if your card reader is older that it might be time to consider a replacement. Also, try another card reader before trashing that file off the card.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
As Jack mentioned we both have seen this in the past and it mostly comes down to a faulty card reader and not the OS or the program itself and even the camera. Reason my first question was it a corrupt file. Take that card hopefully you still have the images on it and try a different reader or go to a friends machine and try. Also as always format the card in camera before use not that this is the exact cause but stuff happens here some times as well.

cam

thank you, Guy and Jack.

i always always always (did i mention, always?) format my card in the camera i will be shooting it in. i learned very early on to do this, and i am true blue about this.

my card reader is a year-and-a-half old (is that old?), but trying a new one didn't provide better luck. it happens to be a fancy-dancy Ducati card, where you can fold it and it turns into a usb key so i tried that. no luck either.

i will try again on different machines as i'm now a little loathe to use that card so i won't wipe it (i got is a joke, but it's come in handy on the fly when i've forgotten to bring my reader).

now i happen to usually shoot DNG and JPEG b/w basic if i will be checking files on my screen, even though it's painfully slow, so i do have a b/w JPEG. and, to be honest, this wasn't a once in a lifetime shot (i chickened out of taking one of those today :cussing: ) either -- simply one of the more interesting i've taken in quite a while.... in other words, i do have something.

but now i'm a wee bit spooked. should i always shoot DNG and JPEG fine in colour with minimal processing to cover my a$$?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I know all about covering your a$$. I always try and shoot 2 images at least if possible , which not always is but you have the right mindset which is good to see. Murphy's law only got more prominent in digital. Keep us posted though and if there is anything we can do let us know.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Cam,

This is precisely why many pros are now demanding their work bodies write to two cards simultaneously. Anyway, shooting RAW + jpeg is a good idea for the same reason, and I now do just that with every camera I own that allows it. Especially now that the M8 can take large cards, it is not a space eater like it was when we could only use 2G cards...

cam

mine are more of the blink and it's gone sort, so duplicates are not usually an option.... like i said, it was kind of a cool photo but c'est la vie....

i do appreciate all the help. am going to have to reconsider how i shoot now or maybe just use my Epson for a few days -- nice, safe, and dependable files. guess i just never realised how lucky i've been!

cam

ooh, Jack -- we must have crossed posted.... what are recommendations for setting the most neutral JPEG on the M8? (i realise you don't have it any more, but....) i will miss my b/w previews very much (tweaked for screen viewing more than anything), however, i know a nice neutral JPEG fine is more important to have as back up than amusing myself.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Cam,

First off, I *love* the photo above -- looks like Warf is riding the subway Hillary :ROTFL:. Moreover, it works in B&W!

As re set-up, here is where you're limited. On the M8, to get the nifty B&W preview you need to set the jpeg color to B&W. Unfortunately that means that only a B&W is generated on the jpeg... For back-up, yes you'll want a neutral toned image, and IIRC, I used the M8's portrait or natural standard and Adobe RGB, but of course this means you'll lose the B&W preview.

So my solution would be use two of the three user presets, one for back-up color jpeg and the other for B&W. My logic being if you're shooting for the b&W anyway, no real harm if your back-up jpeg is only B&W, right?

cam

thank you, Jack! i do too which is why i tried to save it. it was always meant for b/w (though the red streaks were fun), but i prefer to do my own tweaking.... there are graphic elements that i will do my best to recover (i think i had contrast on medium high) once i'm done sulking.

guess i can always just neutral out the b/w JPEG (this was basic -- will always use fine from now on). will have to think about what i want to do about colour as i've been used to shooting RAW & b/w JPEG for so long, i've found i have trouble seeing the image on the screen as black and white even though i have no trouble conceptualizing it that way as i shoot. guess it's time to get over it!

and, whilst i love bringing you amusement, i have absolutely no idea what you're referring to -- feel a bit like a dunce here, or maybe that i've been too long from the States.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
and, whilst i love bringing you amusement, i have absolutely no idea what you're referring to
To my warped sense of humor, the upper half of the woman's profile on the left is similar to Hillary Clinton's while the man's profile is very similar to the TV character Warf, a Klingon from the Star Trek TV series ;)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This is a bit of a hijack, apologies CAM. First let me say that I agree that the photo is wonderful. A very real sense of a fleeting moment, right down to the motion.

The hijack part: I've just discovered two things about C1 Pro. First the good news. I accidentally opened some of my old Nikon NEFs in C1 and discovered that I like the results waaaay better than any other software. I had always done them in LR, maybe out of habit since that's what I started with when I originally bought the Nikon 4 or 5 years ago. And I just kept doing it, saving C1 exclusively for the M8. But wow, I actually LIKE some of the Nikon stuff that I could never get to work before.

The second thing is a question. My normal work flow is to start in C1 and then export a .tif to PS. I recently noticed that the resolution setting for the output was at 300 ppi. I'm pretty sure the native resolution of the M8 RAWS is 240, so am I inadvertently doing a slight uprez when outputting at 300?

Thanks!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The second thing is a question. My normal work flow is to start in C1 and then export a .tif to PS. I recently noticed that the resolution setting for the output was at 300 ppi. I'm pretty sure the native resolution of the M8 RAWS is 240, so am I inadvertently doing a slight uprez when outputting at 300?

Thanks!
The PPI setting does not affect net output *pixel* dimensions, but will affect output image size dimensions since they are based on your base PPI setting. You can also increase the output file size at the same time in C1 by setting "scale" to something other than 100%. It happens to do a very good job even up to 200%, but is not something I recommend as a regular practice over controlled uprezzing in CS.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
First off, I *love* the photo above -- looks like Warf is riding the subway Hillary :ROTFL:. Moreover, it works in B&W!
:D yes yes yes !!!!!

THAT was the very first face I saw too, the chap who has half a chicken glued to his forhead. :ROTFL: Actually I thought he was collaged into it, until I realised the illusion.

WOW Cam, now his is what I call a picture that works. Fantastic! :thumbs:

LOL, If you look long enough around you, I am sure you find all kind of characters, Gollum (Lord of the Rings) for a fact I saw in Dublin last month when I bought a G10. :ROTFL:

As for that file corruption, I can add one more to that, I have a sony alpha file that once you click on it from the filmstrip for preview..... Kabooom..... C1 crashes. I reported that to Phase HQ, but have not heard anything back. <shrugs>

thomas

I have a sony alpha file that once you click on it from the filmstrip for preview..... Kabooom..... C1 crashes
is it a new file or an older file with settings or even once processed with a former version of C1?
If it's an older file delete the repsective settings (*.cos) and the preview file (*.cop) of the image.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
The PPI setting does not affect net output *pixel* dimensions, but will affect output image size dimensions since they are based on your base PPI setting. You can also increase the output file size at the same time in C1 by setting "scale" to something other than 100%. It happens to do a very good job even up to 200%, but is not something I recommend as a regular practice over controlled uprezzing in CS.
Thanks for that jack!

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
is it a new file or an older file with settings or even once processed with a former version of C1?
If it's an older file delete the repsective settings (*.cos) and the preview file (*.cop) of the image.
Hi Thomas,

file is alpha 900, C1 was brandnew installation, latest version. I'll try that, thanks!