The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Grrrrr....I hate this message

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Could not complete your request because there is not enough memory (RAM)
tap tap tap....

I have flippin 27 Gig inactive only one Pano open, all Layers flattened....grmmblll @*&!^!@$ :cussing:

sigh....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What program? (I am guessing Photoshop?) And how big was the file? Do you have Open GL enabled or totally disabled? How much RAM is assigned to Photoshop? How is your scratch drive arranged?

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Yeah, sorry, was CS3 of course, file was around 1 Gig, assigned RAM to PS =2 Gig (this is a bug with 32 Gig maschines, you can not drag the slider to 3 Gig) Free memory was 308MB

Open GL, hmmm where can I disable that completly?

Scratch is enough, 100Gig on RAID-0.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Georg,

with 32G RAM true you cannot get all 3G of RAM to CS, but you should still be able to slide the RAM slider up to about 2.8G for CS -- do that to get to the absolute max. Try disabling all Open GL options, go to preferences, performance, check the advanced tab and uncheck every option to turn them all off, then make sure the first main Open GL is unchecked. Try dropping history states to no more than 50 and cache levels at about 4. Also, make sure your scratch is active AND it's set as the first scratch drive -- with 150G scratch you should *never* get the run out of memory warning.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hey Jack and Henry,

thanks for looking at it!

This is the way it was set when it happened:

I guess it was the Open GL thingy, I'll try that tonight and let you know. Thanks!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Georg,
Also be sure that you have disabled unused plug-ins, especially the file format ones.
look in /Applications/Photoshop/Plugins/File Formats/ and re-name the files with a leading "~" character. Also in Bridge as well as in PS, shut off all support for Version Cue.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
that all looks good Georg, so yes, I would disable all the Open GL options and retry -- don't forget to close and re-launch CS after the preference changes!

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
:D Thanks Jack! That was it!

Bob, thank you too! Jack told me about the unused file formats, and I did do that, as well as big tiles, but how and why do you disable version cue?

P.S. Found it.

In case some one reads and needs to know as well, it is under Photoshop preferences and the Tab "File Handling". I do not use Bridge at all, is that of any relevance to switch it out for Photoshop?

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, IMO Open GL basically sucks and screws up an otherwise smooth-working system.

The other little performance tidbit when you have a big, fast scratch disk is to activate the "Disable Scratch Compression" plug-in.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Version cue is for a multiple user shop trying to avoid editing collisions by multiple users on the same image.
In PS, when it is enabled, it both takes memory and time as it occasionally looks for version que servers.
It is also a feature used in bridge, and should be shut off unless used there too.
-bob

thomas

Also, make sure your scratch is active AND it's set as the first scratch drive
Jack may I ask here why it is important that it is the first drive? Does it mean to set the Mac HD?
I have the Mac HD and a mirrored Raid ("1"). When I set the Raid as scratch disk I think PS runs less fast and less stable. Currently set the Mac HD as scratch disk and I think that's better for some reason... but thinking about a 4th drive as scratch disk (single drive, no Raid). Would you recommed to do so?
Thanks!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
PS uses the drives in the priority order listed.
select your fastest non-boot drive and use the arrow buttons to move it to the top of the list.
RAID 1 is often slower than a single disk if you are not using a raid card since both writes must be accomplished for the I/O to complete and your drives are not likely synchronized in rotational position.
I would definitely recommend a single fast drive (one of the newer enterprise class 7200 rpm or better) as scratch rather than either a RAID 1 or the boot drive.
PS scratch is write-mostly read seldom, so write performance is key. Partition the new drive with a small partition for scratch as its very first. There is more data per rotation on the outer rim of the drive than near the hub, so it is faster, ofter up to twice as fast as near the hub. Even better than a single fast drive is a RAID 0 stripe. Partition it the same as my recommendation above.
-bob

thomas

Partition the new drive with a small partition for scratch as its very first. There is more data per rotation on the outer rim of the drive than near the hub, so it is faster, ofter up to twice as fast as near the hub.
Thanks a lot!
How do I set the partition as its very first? Is this self-explaining when I set the partition or is there something special to know...?
Thanks again!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
To make it the first partition, start with a freshly formatted volume, then the first one you make will be the first.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack may I ask here why it is important that it is the first drive? Does it mean to set the Mac HD?
I have the Mac HD and a mirrored Raid ("1"). When I set the Raid as scratch disk I think PS runs less fast and less stable. Currently set the Mac HD as scratch disk and I think that's better for some reason... but thinking about a 4th drive as scratch disk (single drive, no Raid). Would you recommed to do so?
Thanks!
Pretty much just what Bob said ;)

First, in the OS partition dialog, the top partition on the list is the first moving from the outer rim in and is the fastest. Each subsequent partition gets slower due to being further in on the platter. Here is a screenshot of the disk utility partition for the first drive in my 4-drive array, the others are identically partitioned. Here the top partition (scratch) outlined in green is the fastest, the second in yellow is slower (working image stripe) and the third one in red is very slow, NOT RAID-ed and used for back-up data storage --- in this case a bootable copy of my OS.

~~~

Now we get to the CS4 performance settings for scratch. Here my OS is a striped pair but is NOT active as a scratch drive. Instead I have dedicated the 4-drive "outer rim" stripe partition (per the green above) as scratch and the second inner rim of the same 4-drive stripe (shown in yellow above) as a back-up to that for overflow scratch.

My scratch drive did not show up as the first option in the list, my OS pair did, so I had to drag scratch to the top #1 slot and activate it as available for scratch by checking the box. Next I dragged my next fastest partition, which happens to be my image stripe partition, to the #2 slot and made it active. In this fashion, upon the unlikely event my #1 scratch disk ever runs out of scratch space, the #2 drive will be available to take over. Here is a screenshot of the CS4 dialog:

Cheers,