The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Non-chromogenic black & white film scanner?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Ok, what's the deal? I was looking at a good deal on a Nikon Coolscan 5000 but I see this about it at B&H "[SIZE=-1]*Not compatible with non-chromogenic black & white film".

I was plaining on using it for Tri-X and Tmax 400 I'm developing but as I understand it only C41 process black and white films are chromogenic.

Can I use it or not?
[/SIZE]

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
John,
I believe that you are looking under the digital ice section. It is telling you that digital ice is not compatible with non-chromogenic black and white film. You must turn off digital ice with non-chromogenic black and white. Digital ice corrects dust and scratches, but can not tell the difference between film grain and dust....therefore it doesn't work with those films. You can still scan them and then use the clone tool to clean up the dust and scratches.

johnastovall

Thanks, I had about come to that conclusion. It looks like I may pick it up. 850 shipped and only 20 boxes of slides scanned. Owner just got a D3 and is unloading most of his Nikon film gear for a 300mm lens.

So, it looks like it a good deal but put my GR-DII back a bit.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
What is the advantage of the 5000 over the V (speed?). I have the V and it works great for me. You could use the difference to fund the GRDII.:clap: (I recently bought a used GX100 on this forum. I'm really enjoying it.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have heard that ICE does not work with B&W emulsions. FWIW, I have heard the Minolta 5400 is better with traditional B&W than the Nikon 5000...

johnastovall

I have heard that ICE does not work with B&W emulsions. FWIW, I have heard the Minolta 5400 is better with traditional B&W than the Nikon 5000...
Jack, thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it. Looks like they are scarce as hen's teeth. Must be good.:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it. Looks like they are scarce as hen's teeth. Must be good.:)
Indeed, and since you shoot B&W why I mentioned it to you -- :) A buddy clued me into it and so I spent the time searching one out. Got lucky and won a very clean one on eBay for about $700. And I can confirm it does traditional silver VERY well! My advice is to get the newer 5400 II since the last Silverfast update does work in Leopard --- not fully functional as a CS plug-in, but does work as a stand-alone.

The three nudes in my "provence" portfolio were my first test scans using some old Tri-X files, and IMO they turned out pretty good for first passes, me not knowing the scanner yet: http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=931&c=66