The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

what went wrong here?

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
See the changing color intensity in the water? 12 pictures handheld, manual exposure, 1/80sec F16 with Zeiss 24-70 at 24mm.

I am not sure, but I do not recall this from the scene, I rather think I am doing something wrong here. Can an error such as this be corrected concerning the water in Photoshop?

Would love to know what I did wrong at capture!

thomas

I think it's a problem with the stitcher. Did you activate luminance and colour compensation?
I'd recommend to adjust the single captures very, very close at the RAW stage and deactivate compensations in the stitcher. Depends. It's a lot more work to do but I find results are much better if you do all corrections prior to stitching... and just fine adjust some variations on the stitching layers in Photoshop afterwards.
That having said I don't know how well Auto Pano Pro performs here in advanced editing mode. For the 2-6 capture stiching I do Photoshops merger does the job much better and much faster like Auto Pano Pro. This is why I am not experienced with Auto Pano Pro (just made a few trials I didn't like). The application slumbers somewhere on my computer...

Don Libby

See the changing color intensity in the water? 12 pictures handheld, manual exposure, 1/80sec F16 with Zeiss 24-70 at 24mm.

I am not sure, but I do not recall this from the scene, I rather think I am doing something wrong here. Can an error such as this be corrected concerning the water in Photoshop?

Georg

Odd. It's odd that the sky and foreground both look okay it's just three areas of the water that look odd. I see what looks like haze, cloud, fingerprints, possible smudge in about three places on the water that might also extend into the sky. They also look uniform in size and shape.

All the discoloration appears to be on the right half of the image. Here's a suggestion - stitch the side the image again and see if still happens; do two images at a time.

Here's the caveat to all the above - I'm still on my first cup coffee and looking at this on a 17' laptop not on the studio monitors.

Did you have any filters on?

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
First things first: Were the initial frames all captured at identical aperture, shutter speed AND WB settings? And then were they then processed out with identical settings? If so, then all the base images should have identical appearing water UNLESS there is a lens problem.

Lens distortion, flare and falloff are the most common culprits of a poor blend on stitch... Here is where the auto-correction features of the stitching software matter. Which software were you using? I suggest if you haven't already, download the trial of Auto Pano Pro -- it has merged images for me that no other program could handle, and IMO the auto correction features are excellent.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Thanks folks,

well, I tried both, Auto Pano and CS3 for stitching, both the same of course.

All settings where identical, 1/80sec, F16 I thought.... except.... :banghead: ... Sigh.... I must have had it on AWB hence it ranges from 5650-5350 over 12 pictures, and that could just be it. What do you think, is that the reason?

P.S. So theoretically, if I would change WB for all pictures to be the same it should make a difference, I guess....scratch that, does not make a difference just tried it.

Te single RAW files show this "banding" already, of course this shows in the stitch.

Geeze, hope I do not have a problem with the lense. Then again, may be it was really looking this way, reflections from clouds could do that I suppose.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
YES> Since you shoot raw, reprocess them all out using the same WB setting -- IOW take it off AUTO and set something in-between your spread that gives good blue sky and water -- make sure the tint slider is the same too. Now the individuals should look very similar in color and a re-stitch should be much better ;)

If not, then it is a lens issue too, and here if you check the auto-blend features in APP it should handle that. If APP cannot handle it, then it is most likely a flare issue and those are almost impossible to deal with in a stitch -- you have to properly shade the lens on capture to mitigate it.

Don Libby

Lesson learned here for me. No posting till I'm fully awake and on at least second cup of coffee. I assumed from reading "manual exposure" that the WB was set as well and not auto. I'm so used to shooting with a custom WB balance that I tend to forget the other settings.

Agree with hat Jack has said, I load all the images at once in Bridge (after working the LCC) and process all the same. You can also do this in C1 so either should work well for you.

Don't really think it's a lens issue as something weird would have shown up on the left side and that doesn't look the case.

Don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Georg in C1 say you have a 6 shot stitch get working on one image to exactly how you like it with WB , Color and all that. Than right click copy adjustments than select the other 5 and apply those adjustments to them. Than process in the same folder than use that folder for Cs4. I do exactly this every time in C1 and it works very well. Just don't do any vignetting on the lens corrections in C1. That will screw things up but you can given the lens, select it's default in C1

One other tip using a Phase back don't use AWB. Pick daylight no matter what outside and have a base setting than you can adjust from there if needed. AWB not only adjust the color temp but even worse will adjust the the tint and that is where the trouble starts.