The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Considering Wacom Tablet for retouching

Henry Goh

It was such a long time ago when I owned a Wacom with ADB interface. I'm considering getting one for use on both Windows and Mac OS. Which one should I be looking at and what size?

Thanks.

R

Ranger 9

Things are certainly more convenient in Wacom World now that they connect via USB and you can use the same tablet on either platform.

The model you get doesn't make much difference; they all have the same basic functionality for retouching.

This is one case where size does matter, though, so I'd say get the biggest one you can conveniently afford. I use a 12x12 at work and a 9x6 at home, and I'm noticeably more productive on the 12x12 -- able to spend more time retouching and less time moving the screen area around. (Retouching is one of those activities in which I find I do better if I can get "in the zone" and stay in it.)

The ideal, IMO, is to have a tablet with a physical size similar to your monitor's work area, so your hand movements map more naturally to what your eye sees the cursor doing. I guess the ultimate along those lines would be the tablets they make with an LCD monitor built into them, but those are mind-bendingly expensive...

Don Libby

May not be what you're asking about however I went from a way older Wacom tablet to a Cintiq 12W over a year ago and use it quite often for serious detailed work.

Don

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
May not be what you're asking about however I went from a way older Wacom tablet to a Cintiq 12W over a year ago and use it quite often for serious detailed work.

Don
You do not deserve this, go now and find the original packaging and send to poor phoptographer in Ireland, right away! :ROTFL:

Lucky dog!

I use a INTUOS A3 Henry, would not want to miss it anymore!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And one from the the other side...

I've had an Intuous connected to my MacPro since day one, and have used it maybe twice. But at least it looks impressive sitting there on the editing desk :D

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
And one from the the other side...

I've had an Intuous connected to my MacPro since day one, and have used it maybe twice. But at least it looks impressive sitting there on the editing desk :D
Hmmm , little modifications required, may be? Replace touch surface with thin granit layer and wires below.... use USB to heat granit, grill steak! :D

donbga

FWIW,

I use the 6x8 CTE-630 tablet and I find it invaluable for making precise paths with the pen tool and for "painting" dodge and burns.

I would use a larger one if I had a larger desktop but I'm comfy with the one I own. I'm on my second pen - I broke the first one somehow.

Don Bryant