The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pano Software -- some brief comments

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just thought I'd post an update on my current pano software. I started using AutoPano Pro the beginning of this year because I had a pano that CS4's Photomerge would not assemble. It was not a particularly difficult pano, but for whatever reason CS4/Photomerge did not like it. I downloaded the trial (full version with watermark) and ran the 4 images through APP in auto mode. To say I was impressed is an understatement -- the pano assembled flawlessly in just a few minutes, then rendered beautifully after a few more minutes.

Since then, I have upgraded to AP Giga, as it is supposed to run faster than APP. However, since they released APG, a newer version of APP has been released, so depending on your uses APP may be good enough. For me, I'm not sure APG is worth the extra $100 for its added features... Anyway, if you like to do panos, I recommend you demo APP or APG.

More info here: http://www.autopano.net/en/

PS: We will be demoing this software at our Oregon workshop: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9414

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My pleasure.

I should add that there is one significant deficiency to APP/APG -- that is neither can perform a simple, FLAT stitch assembly without altering the projection. IOW it assumes all panos were captured via some kind of panning motion -- and gives you several assembly projection options for those -- as opposed to a basic rectilinear sensor shift as with a tech camera. So for the latter, I recommend you stick with CS4/Photomerge.

Lisa

Good timing! I was just looking for a new pano stitching program...I hadn't done any panos in a few years, and tried CS3 on my first pano in awhile, and it did a terrible job (visible seams & brightness transitions where there shouldn't be any). I downloaded the trial version of APP last night and tried it on the same set, and it did a perfect job. I'm going to try it on another one tonight, and if it works just as well then I plan to buy it.

Lisa

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lisa:

FWIW, CS4's Photomerge is superior to CS3's, but still a long way from APP/APG...

Oh, we really need to think about a date for another local get-together!

Cheers,

Lisa

Hi Jack -
Yes, it's definitely time for another local get-together. I'm in town for months now (blew all my vacation time on a trip to the Dolomites in July), so most any day.

I did another pano with APP last night, 19 frames at 12 mp each, and it was another perfect stitch, even with people walking around in the distance. It ran *much* faster on my spouse's 64-bit linux machine than on my 32-bit Vista machine (which was probably swapping a lot), so I'm going to get the 64-bit linux version...

Lisa

woodyspedden

I too use APG and find it very very good indeed!

Prior to APP coming on to the market I used PT Gui (successfully I might add!). I found it to be superior in most every way to CS4 Photomerge. PT Gui is cheaper than APP so may be worth a look. But if cost for the software is not a major issue I would definitely buy APG. JMHO

Woody

Ben Rubinstein

My pleasure.

I should add that there is one significant deficiency to APP/APG -- that is neither can perform a simple, FLAT stitch assembly without altering the projection. IOW it assumes all panos were captured via some kind of panning motion -- and gives you several assembly projection options for those -- as opposed to a basic rectilinear sensor shift as with a tech camera. So for the latter, I recommend you stick with CS4/Photomerge.
Wrong. Set the lens focal length to 1000mm.

Ben Rubinstein

I got that tip from the Camera Fusion people when I was experimenting with their adaptor for LF. It didn't work out for me in the end, partly because my eyesite went bad for manual focus at the same time and partly because in the conditions I was working in the light would change faster than I could shoot. They did however turn me onto the 6X12 format for which I've been eternally grateful, plus I had months of interesting conversations with their incredible team who really went full out to make sure I was more than happy with the product. To put it into perspective, they even bought it back off me when I realised that it wasn't going to work for me!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I've been using PTGUI for a long time now. Do you have a sense for how the two different softwares compare?

Ben Rubinstein

From what I've read, Autopano is better at getting it right first time and not needing nodal point shooting unless very close up. PTGUI is much more customiseable.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim,

It's been awhile since I looked at PTGUI, but the UI on APP/APG is very good and it seems to stitch anything you throw at it very well first time.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jack. I'll maybe download the demo. It's funny though, whenever a new PANO software comes up, I suddenly start shooting panos and as soon as I process a few, the attraction slacks off.

Part of it (for me) are those little narrow strips that come from simply doing the shots across horizontally. I keep promising myself I'm going to do it "right" and include another vertical band of shots to add a little girth to the finished product, but I never do. Someday...

jlm

Workshop Member
my pano use may be a bit different. I am a huge fan of the sq frame and will be moving to the CFV 39 which gives a 4.5 x 6 image, landscape mode. i expect to do some vertical two shot "panos" to regain the 6x6 format and the full range of the wide angle lenses, not to mention the 55 mpix result