The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OSX 10.5.8....very snappy

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Just upgraded 3 Mac's to 10.5.8 and all the relevant SMC and security updates. I am always a bit careful on this front and usually wait a few days to see whether there are major problems.

My strategy is always the same, disconnect all external devices, download combo update, run repair permissions, disconnect from internet and send little snitch to sleep, then apply combo update, and afterwards via software update the rest, re connect devices, run repair permissions again and pray.

So far, since I am new to macs, I did that since 10.5.4 with all three macs and did not have a single problem, knock wood.

5.8 feels a lot snappier than 5.7. on all three macs here.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just cleaned my whole system yesterday getting ready for Snow Leopard. But I strongly encourage backing up to a external before loading it.

Terry

Actually, with some of the latest Safari software I seem to be having some freeze ups. Spinning wheel and frozen Safari and force quitting. Almost like there is a memory leak. Anyone else?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Actually, with some of the latest Safari software I seem to be having some freeze ups. Spinning wheel and frozen Safari and force quitting. Almost like there is a memory leak. Anyone else?
Yes I have the same problem with safari ..can t remember having this ever with the old version. Too bad the improvements don t seem to be worth sorting the software issues of continuous new releases.

J

jjlphoto

Yes I have the same problem with safari ..can t remember having this ever with the old version. Too bad the improvements don t seem to be worth sorting the software issues of continuous new releases.

I gave up on Safari about 6 mos ago. The dreaded spinning wheel, or Spinning BBOD* as it is known in Mac circles, occurred constantly. Couldn't get anything done, and I could only exit by doing a 'Force Quit'. I switched over to Firefox and never looked back.

*Beach Ball of Death.

Terry

I gave up on Safari about 6 mos ago. The dreaded spinning wheel, or Spinning BBOD* as it is known in Mac circles, occurred constantly. Couldn't get anything done, and I could only exit by doing a 'Force Quit'. I switched over to Firefox and never looked back.

*Beach Ball of Death.
I keep Safari up to date and was fine on all machines until the last 4.03 update. Certainly not a 6 month problem for me.

monza

I had issues with Safari a year ago and switched to Firefox. Safari would never remember my logins.

But when 4 was released I cautiously went back, it's much faster and haven't had any issues at all...

What machines are you running? There is a known issue with the latest laptops and beachball delays, HD related.

Terry

I had issues with Safari a year ago and switched to Firefox. Safari would never remember my logins.

But when 4 was released I cautiously went back, it's much faster and haven't had any issues at all...

What machines are you running? There is a known issue with the latest laptops and beachball delays, HD related.
The worst problem is on my latest new version of 13" mbp.

Any links to the issue? I've seen the 7200 hard drive problem - which didn't impact the 13" because it wasn't offered and I've swapped out the HD to an Intel SSD.

Irenaeus

:confused::confused::confused:Interpretation please.
I was just having fun, Terry.

Guy's post was the first thing I saw when logging in to the thread and I read it out of context. It seemed as if Guy, himself, was getting the shakes after every posting, so, out of the goodness of my heart, I prescribed for him!

Cheers,

Irenaeus

Terry

I was just having fun, Terry.

Guy's post was the first thing I saw when logging in to the thread and I read it out of context. It seemed as if Guy, himself, was getting the shakes after every posting, so, out of the goodness of my heart, I prescribed for him!

Cheers,

Irenaeus
Oh, I wasn't sure what he was responding to too early here!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This is probably meaningless since it doesn't really add much, but I've been in some sort of grace period with all things MAC for a couple of years now. I no longer dread or am even concerned with OS updates-- each and every one has installed and run flawlessly for so long I can't remember the last issue.

As for Safari, I use it 99% of the time. The only time I use Firefox is when I need to do some behind-the-scenes editing on another forum where I have Admin privileges. For some reason, Safari won't let me see the HTML/CSS code necessary to make edits via the forum's editing interface. Otherwise, Safari keeps getting better and faster.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I noticed some minor Safari twits with the last upgrade too, but nothing that really impacts me negatively, just the occasional sub-second hang. Safari problems usually get fixed pretty quickly with a new update -- but regardless I keep both FireFox and Camino on my system too. FWIW, Camino is probably the fastest browser I've used, but it isn't color-managed.