The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Snow Leopard

Mitchell

The update for the Mac operating system, Snow Leopard is going to be released on Friday. Supposed to run a lot faster.

Will Photoshop and LightRoom work on it?

I'm assuming not until Adobe updates them. Anyone know?

Best,

Mitchell

According to this list, CS2 won´t work (and I´m still using it for the few cases when LR can´t do what I need). Also, printer compatibility for my Epson 3800 is unknown. Well, I´m in no hurry...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I've ordered a copy for my notebook just to check it out as I'm looking at replacing my desktop machine with a new Mac Pro. Nothing on the notebook is critical.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The update for the Mac operating system, Snow Leopard is going to be released on Friday. Supposed to run a lot faster.

Will Photoshop and LightRoom work on it?

I'm assuming not until Adobe updates them. Anyone know?

Best,

Mitchell
Lightroom 2.4 and Nikon Capture NX2 work fine on Snow Leopard, although they only run as native Intel 32bit (vs 64bit) applications.

I've been running Snow Leopard builds for months on one of my laptops (in fact the one I'm typing this on).

GrahamWelland

As a general note, I'd avoid rushing to install on any critical machines until:
  1. you've got a full backup of your machine :thumbs:
  2. give it a few days for any last minute screw ups to be found by others on the internet. :thumbup:

LJL

Even more to worry about for some....

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...s_legacy_support_for_apples_snow_leopard.html

Basically, Adobe is saying that they are not going to support CS3 apps on Snow Leopard (10.6), so folks that may have taken a pass on updating to CS4 last year are now going to have to update if they want to run the new Mac OS (Snow Leopard). (Did not see anything about LR.....yet.)

So at this point, SL will only run on Intel Macs (meaning working G5 and older machines are out), and now, Adobe is saying it will not support older than CS4 on the new OS. So any savings on the OS upgrade is going to be lost many times over for the CS4 upgrade that some of us may have passed......sigh.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have Cs4 so not worried about that one . I may actually partition with dual boots just until things clear up. Than when all settles down fully go snow. i have enough backup drives to do several things to cover myself. Keep a copy of Leopard OS , Copy of Snow leopard OS and I can go either way depending on what is not working

GrahamWelland

Sorry folks, I can't run up C1Pro on my Snow Leopard laptop as I had a trial already installed on it which has expired so I only get the nag screen.

Let me see if I can find one of my Leica C1 license keys and unlock it later.

The only issues I really ran into during the beta testing were to do with the video drivers and some of the rendering of panels/popups. I suspect that these bugs have been ironed out in the final release. I haven't tried image printing from my Snow Leopard laptop so can't attest to that - general printing on my networked HP & Brother lasers works perfectly.

R

Ranger 9

Even more to worry about for some....
Basically, Adobe is saying that they are not going to support CS3 apps on Snow Leopard...
Not so fast there, folks; this direct from (Photoshop principal product manager) John Nack's blog:

"Update: No one said anything about CS3 being "not supported" on Snow Leopard."​

He continues: "The plan, however, is not to take resources away from other efforts (e.g. porting Photoshop to Cocoa) in order to modify 2.5-year-old software in response to changes Apple makes in the OS foundation."

I don't think that's much different from what most developers do with non-current software on non-current OS versions.

etrigan63

IIRC, LR 2.4 runs as a 64-bit app in Leopard. I think there is a switch you have to set in the preferences. I will check when I get home.

GrahamWelland

Carlos,

You are quite correct. If you click on LR in your applications directory and then File->Get Info you will see that there is a radio button for "Open in 32bit Mode" that by default is selected. I assume it was selected because the app was already installed on the box when I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Click it off and LR starts in 64 bit mode :thumbs:

Last edited:

jonoslack

Carlos,

You are quite correct. If you click on LR in your applications directory and then File->Get Info you will see that there is a radio button for "Open in 32bit Mode" that by default is selected. I assume it was selected because the app was already installed on the box when I upgraded to Snow Leopard.
HI Graham - this tick box is there in 10.5.8 as well (FWIW).

GrahamWelland

Thanks Jono,

On my other boxes I'd selected this but on my MacBook Air I had it checked for some reason and had forgotten all about it.

Compatibility of PS CS3 with Snow Leopard clarified by PS Project Mgr: Wednesday August 26, 2009 08:42 PM EST
Written by Eric Slivka
Earlier today, we reported on comments from Adobe Principal Product Manager for Photoshop John Nack pointing to a new FAQ document noting that only Creative Suite 4 will be officially supported on Apple's forthcoming Snow Leopard operating system, with Creative Suite 3 and earlier versions reportedly not having been tested on Snow Leopard.

Nack has now posted an update after investigating the CS3 situation in which he reveals that Adobe and Apple actually did do extensive testing of at least Photoshop CS3 on Snow Leopard and found that it is in fact compatible with the new operating system. It turns out that the Photoshop team has tested Photoshop CS3 on Snow Leopard, and to the best of our knowledge, PS CS3 works fine on Snow Leopard.

Nack notes that only two minor issues remain that his Photoshop team is aware of: window highlight rings in Exposé and text field nudging in Japanese versions of Snow Leopard. But while Photoshop CS3 otherwise appears to be perfectly compatible with Snow Leopard, Adobe has chosen to not categorize it as officially supported due to the level of testing it feels would be required in order to be entirely confident in that statement.