The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Black & White conversion

sagar

I would like to learn the process to convert jpg or raw to black and white. Would appreciate any tips, suggestions or information about plugins

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I really like Alien Skin's Exposure for B&W conversion and it is a plugin for Photoshop. I suggest you not work with jpgs but rather the photoshop file once you have taken it out of the raw converter.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Another big thumbs up for Silver Efex Pro. Extremely versatile program and yields wonderful conversions with lots of controls.

However, you can make decent conversions with almost any of the image processing software (i.e., LR and PS-X) it just takes a bit more effort. For example, if you're using Photoshop, you can apply a Gradient Map layer over your file and then adjust the gradient to achieve some decent looks. Add a couple of other adjustment layers to tweak, and bingo! Very nice B&W sans grain effects.

What software do you use?

Also, another vote for always shooting RAW unless your camera doesn't allow it. If you're new to RAW, have some patience with yourself and get through the initial learning curve. When you come through it, you'll learn to hate jpegs. Which is of course, just my opinion.

Don Libby

Can't comment on Silver Efex Pro as I don't have it (not too sure if it supports 64 bit but that's my problem.) I will second or is that third the idea about working the RAW image and not Jpg.

Don

BTW-C1 has some nice actions for B&W.

leif e

Ahem; did someone mention the Silver Efex Pro yet? :D

In my experience (with Aperture) it´s truly great!

leif e