The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

invitation !

J

Jamesmd

Hi all
I always wonder if I've overcooked a pic or if its too bright or too darkk who knows what .
I also change from C1 to aperture , then aperture to C1 . I always end up thinking there is normally not so much to do on "normal " shots ,and I would love to be able to compare .

So , if you wish to help me ,I thought of dropping a raw file on my iDisk and see how you would do it with your normal workflow and RAW converter.
Obviously its a lot about tastes too , but I'm sure experience is a great deal, and its easy to have more than me :eek:

Its not a great shot , just a shot .

I would love to see the different results and be able to open your highress jpg in my system

It would be great to know what Raw converter you used .

So if you wish to help me with this , please do so.

this is the link

http://public.me.com/jamesmd

Thanks

James

D

ddk

James, you better remove the link because you're not protected and anyone can upload all kinds of things to your iDisk!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I downloaded the image, but the file extension is .ARW. I'm not familiar with that extensions but the only thing that would see it and open it for me was Raw Developer. C1 doesn't recognize it. Is this straight from your camera?

J

Jamesmd

ddk , thanks , it should be only read at the moment ,.

trsmith , its an export from aperture master , I'll upload one direct from camera .

Thanks

J

Jamesmd

I downloaded the image, but the file extension is .ARW. I'm not familiar with that extensions but the only thing that would see it and open it for me was Raw Developer. C1 doesn't recognize it. Is this straight from your camera?

Ups , direct from camera its the same . its from a A900

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm a little confused. Do the files generated by the Sony come off the disc or directly from the camera with the file extension ".ARW" ? If not, can you make a native file from the Sony available for the test? I don't own Aperture and am willing to give it a go in C1, but .ARW is not being recognized by C1.

dogstarnyc

Hi James,

i downloaded it. imported it into Lightroom, went and played with it in the Develop module...

I converted to B&W, straightened the verticals and tweaked the exposure etc..
FWIW the 'basic' conversion was a pretty good one. i'm using LR 2.4.

I have a calibrated monitor too if that helps... my version shows some very very tiny clipping in both highlights and shadows but not noticeable really.

Does this help...?

S

J

Jamesmd

Hi James,

i downloaded it. imported it into Lightroom, went and played with it in the Develop module...

I converted to B&W, straightened the verticals and tweaked the exposure etc..
FWIW the 'basic' conversion was a pretty good one. i'm using LR 2.4.

I have a calibrated monitor too if that helps... my version shows some very very tiny clipping in both highlights and shadows but not noticeable really.

Does this help...?

S
Hi , thanks a lot !! of course it helps . ill download to see in my system , thanks a lot really

TRSmith , I don't know what happens , when I get from camera its like that , if anyone knows what it is let me know , but I can open it with any software

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
James,
I'm not sure this will be much help. I opened the file in Camera Raw (color photo) and in C1 (b&W). If I had a new Sony camera, I would need more than one try to feel that I was getting the most out. I liked the result better out of Camera Raw, and experience with M8, D700 and Fuji S5 has shown me that I can almost always do better out of C1. I would not draw any conclusion till I worked on a number of files in both editors.

J

Jamesmd

Thanks Cindy, great , of course a great help.

I have only had sony A700 , M8 and now sony A900, ( I sold M8 for focusing problems with my sight :cry: ) and I find that C1 is more realistic compared with Aperture thats more , more mmm I can't find a word in english , but its some times more attractive . But yes , I think C1 is the one .

Thanks a lot .

James

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here is my 5 minute stab at it. First off I used C1, added some saturation, added some clarity, changed the curve, color balanced using one of my custom skin-tones off the girl's arm in the lower RH corner, then made the palm fronds a bit greener using the color editor and tweaked the sky a bit. I pulled it into CS to clone out the darn bird and shrink it for web and added a bit more local contrast while I had it there. Admittedly this is all on my 15" MacBook Pro, so not sure how good the colors will look, and I then converted the color version to B&W tweaking for good skin tones and dark sky:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
a quick contribution, all steps in Photoshop CS4, 4-5 minutes.

(not quite happy with it -just so you have one PS take)

Well, for some reason it looks oversaturated once uploaded in the forum... hmm.

J

Jamesmd

Jack , Corlan , thanks a lot .

Its great to see the same file processed by different people . and very useful to when you put them all in the same system .

Thanks for your time .

Jack , I'm going to read about the skin tone method , I went over it the other day in the manual but didn't get it right or misunderstood it . Thanks

J

Jamesmd

Jack , wow its great , I just got it ! I was just selecting the color mask and nothing happened , of course you have to apply with dropper to were you want it :deadhorse: Now it does work , and very well I must say .

Thanks for the speck

James

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
NP. The skintone tool is awesome, but all it does is get you a color balance that insures pleasing skin-tone -- it may leave the main image off color. So while it is a great tool, it is not necessarily the tool I choose to color correct all the time. In this image it works because we have four people in the foreground all with very different skin color -- rose and olive in the women's arms in the corners, an almost unhealthy gray tint in the mean-looking older woman and tan in the young man next to her.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I am still using C1. The skintone tool must be a feature of C1 Pro. If I am wrong about this, will someone please enlighten me?

J

Jamesmd

Cindy , its a pro feature , but if you can , and you use C1 , I wouldn't doubt to get it , it has many interesting things like all the lens correction and others

Cheers

James