The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX System

algrove

Don't know Dave, but as Nelson pointed out Fuji is saying they have designed the lenses for 100MP resolution.

D&A

Don't know Dave, but as Nelson pointed out Fuji is saying they have designed the lenses for 100MP resolution.
Louis I had heard that too and one might infer the image circle of the Fuji lenses would be for full frame MF, but then again I wouldn't assume unless Fuji said so or someone devises a way to test the lenses out on a optical test bench. Then again like some of the new Pentax lenses, some are full frame MF and some are not. Of course all legacy Pentax lenses cover full frame MF but resolution wise those probably couldn't keep up.

Actually when you compare the prices of some of these Fuji lenses, they are priced below the new recently released Pentax lenses. which are/were priced new at $4300-5000.

Dave (D&A)

algrove

Regarding EVF, it is on par with the Q which I believe is just fine. Also it is supposed to be large so that one has less of a tunnel vision feeling. I know that bothers many, but even the inferior (today) M240 EVF was OK for me. In addition the EVF is removable so that if EVF technology suddenly jumps forward, one can upgrade that part of the system without having to buy an entirely new camera body. That is well thought out from Fuji's end.

Satrycon

an adapter is mentioned for the EVF here > https://fuji-x-secrets.net/2016/09/21/inside-the-fujifilm-gfx-50s/

the lenses look quite compact

Regarding EVF, it is on par with the Q which I believe is just fine. Also it is supposed to be large so that one has less of a tunnel vision feeling. I know that bothers many, but even the inferior (today) M240 EVF was OK for me. In addition the EVF is removable so that if EVF technology suddenly jumps forward, one can upgrade that part of the system without having to buy an entirely new camera body. That is well thought out from Fuji's end.

algrove

Really the only "compact" lens in the GFX system is the 63/2.8. Even still it packs a 62mm filter thread.
Yes, that lens looks like it could be 3-4" long not to mention the 62mm filter size which is about 2.5" plus a bit more for the lens outer casing. So that 63mm lens is say about 3"x3.5". Not small, but not bad either.

D&A

Louis although the Fuji GFX's EVF is removeable, theres no guarantee that it can be upgraded. It deends on whether the cameras electronics can support a higher resolution/frame rate EVF. Look at the M240. It too has a removeable EVF with the underpinnings of a Olympus EVF. Yet when Olympus came out with a improved later generation EVF, the M240 was unable to take advantage of it as it couldn't support it.

Dave (D&A)ì8

Last edited:

Hulyss Bowman

Sorry if I frustrated some over here but... I assume what I'm saying. I do not care if some do not assume what they are or feel sighted.

Leica products (not the SL and not the S system) and Sony products aren't made for the wild and harsh conditions. There is no Professional service behind to backup any problems. And the price is so high that nobody in his right mind would've use it in dangerous conditions.

So most, if not all, those products (3K+ € for the RX1 and lot more for the Q) are in town. Very very few are used in "pro canikon" conditions. On top of that, you won't cross the road of many photographers using a RX1 or A leica Q.

So I insult nobody and criticise no gear. If you wear fine glasses a fine clothes and rarely go bathing into the mud and the frost and live in town : You are a metrosexual. I respect it. I'm a red-neck. And please assume it. It is like seeing a guy kissing an another guy. You say : "ho ! you gay, I didn't knew" and one of the guy say : " do not insult us, you are disrespectful !!" ...

End of the off topic.

From my point of view, Fujifilm can pull out a good 24x36. Sure the price will be lower than the RX1 and the Q, and the hybrid EVF would be superb on it. A FF Xpro would have killed Leica and Sony in the same time. Think about it (a bit like if epson have continued to upgrade the RD1).

The GFX, for sure, will be a very very good crop MF camera, but I thought that it would be priced far lower than 7K€. So there is no revolution over here, just compactness (and the hassy is more compact, by far).

It is still relevant to use MF film even in 2017 then. Kodac restart Ekta production !

V

Vivek

Presumption due to ignorance belongs to ...:facesmack:

My RX1R II is doing fine in urban and rural India in the past several weeks. I can even take it to places where the obvious CaNikons are frowned upon or outright banned.

Matt, Thank you! :)

Hulyss Bowman

My RX1R II is doing fine in urban and rural India in the past several weeks. I can even take it to places where the obvious CaNikons are frowned upon or outright banned.
Say the guy who was cursing Sony to death few months ago because of big problem with his RX1R2...

I do not say canikon products are superior. None are. I just say that anybody buying into this price range (3K + ) will feel secure, very secure, because of the professional service behind.

For example, you break your D3 on the floor. You phone them, they secure you, they give you a price for repair because they have 10 years (minimum) stock of components for pro and prosumer cameras, a dedicated repair center in almost all country around the world. This cost a lot, more than cameras, to run professional service around the world.

You won't find it with Pentax, Sony, Oly, Samsung ... and having leica service on the phone is utopia (you'll have your dealer, not solms, even if you've spent 75K€).

So if one drop his shiny A7RII + GM lenses... I feel the stress from here. It would be VERY surprising if one of those brands have 10 years stock of any components, even 3 years (it might be the limit).

What make the superiority of CaNikon is the professional service behind, you are secure and not lost in ignorance (and moaning on forums) if you encounter a problem.

That said I think that FujiFilm might build an international professional service. They are able and listen their users more than other brands. I do not see any sony professional service anytime soon.

It might be launched with or a bit later than the GFX.

iiiNelson

Presumption due to ignorance belongs to ...:facesmack:

Matt, Thank you! :)
Yup... Don't tell anyone but my Sony A7/RmkI and A7RII bodies have been all over the African continent, all throughout Europe, and even in the Carribean. To my surprise they didn't suddenly explode as soon as I ventured into "3rd world" conditions.

iiiNelson

Say the guy who was cursing Sony to death few months ago because of big problem with his RX1R2...

I do not say canikon products are superior. None are. I just say that anybody buying into this price range (3K + ) will feel secure, very secure, because of the professional service behind.

For example, you break your D3 on the floor. You phone them, they secure you, they give you a price for repair because they have 10 years (minimum) stock of components for pro and prosumer cameras, a dedicated repair center in almost all country around the world. This cost a lot, more than cameras, to run professional service around the world.

You won't find it with Pentax, Sony, Oly, Samsung ... and having leica service on the phone is utopia (you'll have your dealer, not solms, even if you've spent 75K€).

So if one drop his shiny A7RII + GM lenses... I feel the stress from here. It would be VERY surprising if one of those brands have 10 years stock of any components, even 3 years (it might be the limit).

What make the superiority of CaNikon is the professional service behind, you are secure and not lost in ignorance (and moaning on forums) if you encounter a problem.

That said I think that FujiFilm might build an international professional service. They are able and listen their users more than other brands. I do not see any sony professional service anytime soon.

It might be launched with or a bit later than the GFX.
I don't get what you're talking about with regards to Sony Pro service, dropping lenses, or having parts availability. Sony like every other company is required to service and have parts LEGALLY for goods they sell upwards of 7-10 years AFTER they end production lines. No one will deny Canon or Nikon offer better service options - they've done it longer to have the infrastructure and market penetration established... doesn't mean others won't get there. Also doesn't mean that some are okay with the risks.

Why target an already crowded 35mm FF market that they already play in to some extent with the Fuji X line? Why not target premium customers that can or will pay for top end cameras?

To be honest the GFX at $6500 for the body alone is a steal. For $1k more you can buy a new Leica SL with a 24mp 35mm FF sensor. For another $5k you can buy an older Leica S body. You could also get a Nikon D5 for the same price. The Pentax 645z debuted at $8500 a couple years ago, generally sells for $7k today, and the 645D was $10k about 5 or 6 years ago. This is using the same baseline sensor that's in the $9000 X1D and the $20k+ H6/IQ Digital backs.

What's not to like?

algrove

Louis although the Fuji GFX's EVF is removeable, theres no guarantee that it can be upgraded. It deends on whether the cameras electronics can support a higher resolution/frame rate EVF. Look at the M240. It too has a removeable EVF with the underpinnings of a Olympus EVF. Yet when Olympus came out with a improved later generation EVF, the M240 was unable to take advantage of it as it couldn't support it.

Dave (D&A)ì8
I hear you Dave, however comparing Leica's ability to engineer an EVF without foresight into that M240 was not well thought out since exactly what you say was true--they could not support electronics with a higher resolution/frame rate EVF. In my mind comparing the Fuji 4 years hence to the M240 of nearly yesterday is not valid until we know what I suggest is true or false. Somehow I believe Fuji has better electronics with flexibility like in their X series where FW updates do a lot.

Talking FW updates, it took Leica over 3 years to finally stop making the default setting jpeg after a FW update instead of leaving it on RAW as I had it set on before the update. In a FF camera they were applying APS-C ideas.

V

Vivek

I don't get what you're talking about with regards to Sony Pro service, dropping lenses, or having parts availability. Sony like every other company is required to service and have parts LEGALLY for goods they sell upwards of 7-10 years AFTER they end production lines. No one will deny Canon or Nikon offer better service options - they've done it longer to have the infrastructure and market penetration established... doesn't mean others won't get there. Also doesn't mean that some are okay with the risks.

Why target an already crowded 35mm FF market that they already play in to some extent with the Fuji X line? Why not target premium customers that can or will pay for top end cameras?

To be honest the GFX at $6500 for the body alone is a steal. For $1k more you can buy a new Leica SL with a 24mp 35mm FF sensor. For another $5k you can buy an older Leica S body. You could also get a Nikon D5 for the same price. The Pentax 645z debuted at $8500 a couple years ago, generally sells for $7k today, and the 645D was $10k about 5 or 6 years ago. This is using the same baseline sensor that's in the $9000 X1D and the $20k+ H6/IQ Digital backs.

What's not to like?
Nicely put.

FWIW, Sony replaced my RX1R II with new unit.

iiiNelson

Nicely put.

FWIW, Sony replaced my RX1R II with new unit.
Yeah I have no issue with my Sony cameras and if the GFX can add something aesthetically to my photos then I may jump on it an downsize my Sony kit. I hadn't decided if I'd jump all the way into Fuji because it really depends on what options are available with regards to my flash kit.

jdphoto

Sorry if I frustrated some over here but... I assume what I'm saying. I do not care if some do not assume what they are or feel sighted.

Leica products (not the SL and not the S system) and Sony products aren't made for the wild and harsh conditions. There is no Professional service behind to backup any problems. And the price is so high that nobody in his right mind would've use it in dangerous conditions.

So most, if not all, those products (3K+ € for the RX1 and lot more for the Q) are in town. Very very few are used in "pro canikon" conditions. On top of that, you won't cross the road of many photographers using a RX1 or A leica Q.

So I insult nobody and criticise no gear. If you wear fine glasses a fine clothes and rarely go bathing into the mud and the frost and live in town : You are a metrosexual. I respect it. I'm a red-neck. And please assume it. It is like seeing a guy kissing an another guy. You say : "ho ! you gay, I didn't knew" and one of the guy say : " do not insult us, you are disrespectful !!" ...

End of the off topic.

From my point of view, Fujifilm can pull out a good 24x36. Sure the price will be lower than the RX1 and the Q, and the hybrid EVF would be superb on it. A FF Xpro would have killed Leica and Sony in the same time. Think about it (a bit like if epson have continued to upgrade the RD1).

The GFX, for sure, will be a very very good crop MF camera, but I thought that it would be priced far lower than 7K€. So there is no revolution over here, just compactness (and the hassy is more compact, by far).

It is still relevant to use MF film even in 2017 then. Kodac restart Ekta production !

No offense here... actually, those who demand tolerance are usually the least tolerant.

I agree with much of what you say. The Sony A7rii is a really great camera with a great selection of FE lenses and the ability to crop generously. The 55mm 1.8 is one of the best I've ever used, but I'd like 2 SD cards and more robust weather sealing and 11 fps like a Leica SL. No camera is everything or we'd have no reasons for forums. I loved my Fuji x100t because I shoot with strobes and need high flash sync, but didn't like Barbie doll - like skin tones or smeared green foliage in landscapes. My Xt1 was very good at shooting in really cold temps and weather was a not a concern, but still cropped sensor and funky rendering, imo. The GFX has some very cool aspect ratios and Fuji makes very good lenses. For me, cameras work best when they inspire me to shoot and that's purely personal and based mostly on aesthetics. I'm not sure the GFX has captured that "look" for me yet and it's still a FP camera. I don't need MFD output as my a7rii can make enormous wall sized murals and still fits in a messenger bag. Fuji has been probably the best at customer input and continues to innovate. I would have been very keen on a FF Fuji without the X trans and weather sealed, fast FPS and 2 SD cards. Perhaps, we've just been so spoiled by marketing and tech, we've forgotten the starkly simple joys and fundamentals of photography. I shoot film and never seem to complain much when using my Rolleiflex 3.5 f or Mamiya RZ.

Hulyss Bowman

It's pretty silent over here since someone endorsed what I said.

The best part is, whatever you think, I was probably right. Fuji have a long history rooted in photography and quality. From all the "third world" manufacturers Fuji is the first to jump into seriousness : creating a professional service. It's not Sony (Sony will never do OR you'll need to pay for it) or the others; it is FUJI.

I would like pentax to do it ... but Pentax is Ricoh owned so same story as Sony : business first :)

Canon, Nikon, Fuji. Only the best survive, the ones who care about photographers and do not sale you consumer products at homunculus prices.

Ho !! The link !

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-...urce-pentax-645z-vs-fuji-gfx-size-comparison/

iiiNelson

Or maybe people prefer not to argue about what's ultimately just opinion and preference based on speculation since few have used the GFX for anything significant.