The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Jeff Turner

1. Jeff Turner

3rd Party lenses on Fuji GFX 100

Received my GFX100 from B & H 2 days after product release, but then I pre-ordered it the day it was announced. I am located in San Francisco.
  2. Jeff Turner

New Alpa Products being announced

I agree with you and am aware that the Apple A4 processor in the iPad is not powerful enough to process large RAW images. However, Leaf enabled the 75S, which I own, to push a jpeg preview via bluetooth to an HP iPaq. Unfortunately, the resolution of the iPaq is only somewhat better than the...
  3. Jeff Turner

Leaf Aptus-II 12 - 80 Mpx!!!

The Leaf site lists the following cameras as compatible for the Leaf Aptus II 10R: Hasselblad V series (not including 200 and 2000 versions) Medium format (with adapter): Mamiya RZ67, RZ67 Pro II, RZ Pro IId, RB67, Fuji GX680II, GX680III, Bronica SQA/SQAi Compatible view cameras: Alpa...
  4. Jeff Turner

New Alpa Products being announced

Reading the information on the Alpa site regarding recommended iphone apps (e.g. Viewfinder Pro) it appears that the iphone is acting as a viewfinder only with no integration with the digital back. The Viewfinder Pro app seems to have a wide choice of pro MF cameras, backs and lenses to emulate...
  5. Jeff Turner

Working with filters and Alpa Cameras

Thanks for the kind words Jürgen. Since you will be using a polarizer with wide angle lenses, I should also mention that you may see uneven polarization across the sky with the center of the image being darker and lighter toward the edges. This has to do with the way in which polarizers work...
  6. Jeff Turner

Hi Jürgen: The advantages of using a circular polarizer: 1. For foliage, intensifies greens by reducing reflections and exposing more detail. Detail lost because of reflections can't be regained in PS. 2. Intensifies sky; though you can increase saturation or decrease blue luminance in PS to...
  7. Jeff Turner

Aptus 17/22 on RZ67?

To add to Yair's always thorough information, when shooting tethered with the Aptus back, the DB battery is removed to expose the firewire port. With this setup, the firewire provides power to the DB, assuming you are tethered to a MAC. PCs, as I understand, do not supply power via firewire and...
  8. Jeff Turner

This is the lens shade I use with my Alpa Max: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/491477-REG/LEE_Filters_KIT_WALHFP105_PLC105_P105_Wide_Angle_Lens.html It has a 105mm thread for a threaded, round filter and 2 slots behind for 4 inch filters. I use a B+W 105mm Kaeseman circular polarizer and...
  9. Jeff Turner

MF setup with rise and fall, film and digital.

Hi Tim: I do own the Alpa 12 Max and am using it for a variety of work from landscape (the major reason I bought it), interiors, and portraiture. During my research and trial of various cameras, I tried the Cambo and the Alpa. The Arca was not available here in the US at the time and the Sinar...
  10. Jeff Turner

Alpa did make a limited number of this prototype camera with an integrated sliding back (looks much like the Sinar Artec). I think I remember reading somewhere where an Alpa employee stated that production was never undertaken of this prototype due to inability to produce it with consistent...
  11. Jeff Turner

Even if you could mount the Rotaslide on the Alpa, you would then have to correct for the extra thickness added that displaces the digital back further from the lens flange. In the case of wide angle lenses in Alpa mount, the lens flange is very close to the camera body leaving little to no room...
  12. Jeff Turner

Hi Tim: To answer some of your questions regarding the Alpa 12 Max, yes, you swap out the digital back for a ground glass (GG) and flexible hood with loupe. Alpa, unfortunately, does not manufacture a sliding back to quickly and safely switch between GG and back. Their stated reasons for not...
  13. Jeff Turner

Any thoughts on the ZF 100mm f/2 Makro-Planar T* ?

I have owned the lens now for a year and a half and have used it on a D3, and Canon 5D mk2. Here are some shots showing bokeh at f2.8, f5.6 and a shot with 100% crop to show critical sharpness at f11, I believe (all on the D3). In my experience it is one of the better macro's out there for a...
  14. Jeff Turner

Advice needed: Why would I buy a 50 MP back instead if 39 MP?

Glad I did not offend Guy; it certainly is never my intention. This has got to be one of the most polite and helpful forums on the web for photographers.