The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Leigh

1. L

MF vs. 135("FF"), 7yrs post D800 debut?!

A common error in comparing sensor resolution with lens resolution is that you're comparing area measurement (pixels) with linear measurement (line pairs/mm). To understand the improvement in image detail you must compare linear with linear. That means you must use the square root of the...
  2. L

D800, totally silly?

Hi Jorgen, I love the D800 (actually the D800E). In fact, I own three of them, one for each eye. :loco: :facesmack: What the heck is a Prügelknabe? - Leigh
  3. L

Shot noise question

I only read up throuh his discussion of signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). SNR is a well-known phenomenon, commonly used in communications systems. It's a measure of signal quality, as over a telephone line, radio, or data system. Of significance is that it's averaged over time, usually several...
  4. L

Shot noise question

Shot noise is a transient event, generally of very short duration. It gets attenuated by the number of images being averaged. For example, if you take two images in very rapid succession and average them, shot noise may appear at a particular position in one image but not in the other. When...
  5. L

Medium Format Macros Anyone?

Don, How do you get such perfect splash images? Do you just take a few thousand in rapid succession, then pick the best one? ? ? Thanks. - Leigh
  6. L

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

It's British. What more explanation do you need? :ROTFL: - Leigh
  7. L

Fuji GFX 100

The difference between 14 bits and 16 bits is entirely in the shadow detail. You won't seen any difference in the midtones and highlights. - Leigh
  8. L

Fun With Sony Cameras

That's neat, Barry. Thank you. - Leigh
  9. L

Fun With Sony Cameras

Hi Barry, Very good. What's the significance of that terrain? - Leigh
  10. L

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Dave, You're missing "Tomorrow at 7:00pm". Did you run out of film ? ? ? :shocked::cool::ROTFL: Very nice. - Leigh
  11. L

The Problem with Medium Format - Aging Motifs

Yep. Photographers have been getting good indoor shots on film for over a century. :grin: :thumbs: All of the time, effort, and money expended on digital are just an attempt to duplicate that. - Leigh
  12. L

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Happy New Year, Jorgen. - Leigh
  13. L

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

Up-sampling turns a black pixel into four black pixels (2x2). It does not and cannot add detail. No software can do that. - Leigh
  14. L

Top three 50mm lenses for D850?

There are only two OTUS lenses, 55mm and 85mm. Which one(s) have you used? I have the 85 and am very pleased with it. I don't have the 55. - Leigh
  15. L

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

And the early worm gets EATEN. :ROTFL: - Leigh