The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by The Smoking Camera

1. The Smoking Camera

Astrophotography - 101: How to get started.

I normally shoot the milky way with a Nikon d850. But this weekend tested the Hasselblad X1d and 21mm XCD lens. This image from Lanikai on Oahu is looking over Waimanalo and Makapuu. Taken just before sunrise through a fair amount of light pollution so a bit colorful. This is a four image stack...
  2. The Smoking Camera

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Yesterday a storm north of Hawaii created some large sloppy surf to the islands. I went up to Pupukea aka Sharks Cove on the Northshore of Oahu to get a few shots. I used the Hasselblad X1D and 21mm XCD as my wide lens. Here are a few captures with a variety of crops. Aloha
  3. The Smoking Camera

A short drive outside of Bakersfield, California came across an unexpectedly beautiful landscape. Hasselblad X1D 21mm XCD f9 1/1500 iso 100.
  4. The Smoking Camera

Medium Format - landscapes or people?

As much as I enjoy shooting landscapes with the X1D, I also enjoy photographing people with this camera. Most of my people shots are candid, performances or incorporating into landscapes. As long as there is no fast action, I have to qualms using medium format for people.
  5. The Smoking Camera

Three photos from Haleakala National Park in Maui Hawaii. The first is soon after sunrise in a Bamboo Forest along the Pipiwai Trail. The second is a six minute long exposure of Haleakala Crater by moonlight. The brightest trail is Venus. Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa on the Big Island in the...
  6. The Smoking Camera

Red dress at Top of the Rock in New York City Hasselblad X1D and 21mm XCD lens f9 1/25 sec iso 100
  7. The Smoking Camera

A couple of photos at the New York City Halloween Parade with Hasselblad X1D and XCD 21mm. Theme of Halloween Parade is I AM a Robot. I don't recommend the X1D for action shots, but will work in a pinch. First image at f4 1/30 iso 3200 Second image at f4.5 1/80 iso 6400
  8. The Smoking Camera

X1D and 21mm XCD in Mexico

Thanks fotophil. Yes, I was concerned the camera would have to be sent to Sweden. I was lucky.
  9. The Smoking Camera

I used the 21 and 90 combo in Mexico. Worked well.
  10. The Smoking Camera

Agree - service top notch. Still don't know the root cause. I was told original part will be returned to factory for analysis. As soon as I find out I will post.
  11. The Smoking Camera

Good questions. I don't know why the Power Board PCB failed. I hope to speak to a technician this week. Camera arrived at Service Center Thursday June 7. Repair completed and camera shipped Monday June 11. Fast turnaround.
  12. The Smoking Camera

FYI, the Power Board PCB was replaced by Hasselblad under warranty. Looking forward to testing things out when I receive my camera in a few days.
  13. The Smoking Camera

Thank you Matthew. Really enjoyed everything about Mexico. I also used a Sony Rx1rII which did a nice job as my backup camera.
  14. The Smoking Camera

I had the good fortune of receiving the 21mm XCD lens from Hasselblad in time for my trip to Tulum and Mexico City. I had the bad fortune of my X1D becoming unresponsive during the trip. I was able use the lens enough to really enjoy it. It is sharp, quiet, well balanced, fast focusing and a joy...
  15. The Smoking Camera

A cenote near Tulum Mexico. Hasselblad X1D and XCD 21mm lens.