The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by torger

1. T

New camera profile making software

Isn't there an in-between curve between film standard and linear? Like some open shadow variant or something? It's generally better to increase contrast in the profile than reducing it. If it's a smaller adjustment it probably doesn't matter, but as the ICC is integer math expanding something...
  2. T

The default rendering should be very neutral. If neutral actually is "better" is a matter of taste of course, and it's not possible to satisfy all users with a single look. I prefer quite neutral renders out-of-the-box as a baseline for my own post-processing and that's actually quite hard to...
  3. T

Released version 1.0.1: New: Added CMP Digital Target 8, glossy and matte versions. New: Added HutchColor HCT target. New: Command-W on MacOS will close project window. Fixed: wrong sub-target image shown in some situations. Fixed: crash when opening huge TIFF files (IQ3...
  4. T

I found that bug now, there's an allocation error for very large TIFF files, so currently it doesn't work with 100MP TIFFs without shrinking/cropping. This will be fixed along with some other stuff in the next patch release which I hope to make this weekend.
  5. T

You need the Pro or Repro edition. The significantly cheaper Basic is there really only because Lightroom users are typically more casual folks and there is the free "Adobe DNG Profile Editor" to compete with. The Basic edition is an attempt to get a bit of volume sales from more casual users...
  6. T

Uhm, I don't dare to say as I haven't tried that particular model. You could try before buying and see if you can generate a profile though and see in the profile comparison tab on a regular image if the result looks sane. If I remember correctly the policy of Phase One is not to support...
  7. T

As some of you may know I've had a command line open-source camera profile maker for a while, DCamProf. The Pentax 645z profile I casually made using it gained quite some interest, and I've noted for each new medium format camera that's not a Phase One or Hassy people are interested in profile...
  8. T

Is it possible to replace shutter DIY for a SK lens?

The only "calibration" I've heard of is shims to fix any precision issues in the thickness of the Copal shutter, and they seem to be rarely used. I've taken a part a bunch of SK Digitar lenses and I've never come across any shims. I would do it myself, test the lens, and if it's fine it's fine...
  9. T

Compairing old digital backs with new dslr systems?

As I see it, old gear, like I'm using myself, is for amateurs and artists or personal non-commercial projects. It's a bit like working with film, in that you're making it more difficult than it needs to be, and it's not necessarily "better". With lower production speeds and other needs than...
  10. T

Compairing old digital backs with new dslr systems?

The old digital backs don't have that impressive technical performance compared to the modern CMOS. However as long as you use the digital backs within their comfort zone, which varies depending on back (eg P45+ can do long exposures, P40+ cannot), the technical result is very good. If you...
  11. T

Photokina Phase One Announcements: IQ1 100mp, Lenses, IQ3 Kit Updates, C1 v9.3

With Capture One 9.3 you can get the Leaf looks for IQ backs: https://digitaltransitions.com/leaf-look-iq1-100mp-iq3-100mp/ That if something surely indicates that Phase One's intention is to get Leaf users to move to IQ, and that there will be no new Leaf products. But sure, why not? As I see...
  12. T

Tilt question?

How often you use tilt will depend on what subjects you shoot, and a bit on your shooting style too. Open scenery is generally suitable for tilt, especially if you use lens fall/back rise or a low tripod (so you see ground really close to the camera). In tight scenery say inside a forest...
  13. T

Cambo Aptus DB: Any Landscape Photographer?

There is no sliding back in the system as the camera is too weak to hold one, so using a ground glass will be extra cumbersome (detach back, reattach ground glass). You'd probably not want a sliding back anyway as the big thing with the Actus is that it's small and light, and if you add a...
  14. T

How rigid is the Actus? How good is the parallelism? That would be my main worries with that camera as it doesn't really look that rigid, even for a view camera. However, if you don't shoot with larger aperture than f/11 and don't shift the wides too much, the depth of focus will probably mask...
  15. T

Yes it's hard, but it's possible. I do it with the symmetrical Digitar wides, which should be a magnitude harder than the retrofocus Digarons. Haven't tried any of those though. The Actus is not great with ground glass though as there's no sliding back. I would not like to use ground glass...