The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by turtle

1. T

Can Anyone Measure Epson 7890 Shortest Side 4 Me?

Hi, Epson 7890 owners! I am considering either an Epson 7890 or 7880 and need to know if I can get it into my loft! I have converted my roofspace into a loft office, but access remains via ladder and hatch. Getting a large printer in there may be impossible. Can anyone please tell me the...
  2. T

Having second thoughts about the X1D...

I wouldn't get rid of the A7R II either. Buying a full set of Hassy lenses will cost a fortune, no matter the appealing introduction prices of the bare essentials. Keep the Sony for when you need a much wider range of focal lengths or for when you need to carry the tiniest and lightest kit...
  3. T

New Photo Series: Welsh Slate

I've just started working on a larger body of work centred around Welsh slate mining. This first series was shot ten days ago in one short foggy day, when I had been expecting just to conduct a recce of the area to refresh my memory, after more than ten years away. You can read more about it...
  4. T

Rant warning: Why do folks still so heavily use tone mapping?

As others have said, because some people have 'special' taste :p I struggle to like most colour photography one encounters today, which very often seems to be of the 'super saturated, CGI tones' landscape variety. I find the real world and what things really look like far more interesting, but...
  5. T

Pentax-A 645 35mm f/3.5 vs Canon 35mm f/1.4 vs Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Agreed. I have both the 35mm A and the 28-45. The 35mm A is superb when stopped down to landscape apertures, but it is an older lens with older coatings. Flare is the result when provoked. Considering how it performs on the 645Z I have no Canon lenses that I think perform any better, if you are...
  6. T

GM Lenses

The A7R II will still be a potent image making tool many years from now. Lots of E mount cameras will be available for decades to come. The E/FE mount is proving hugely successful for Sony. Personally, I would not worry too much, because the photos you want to take are a present issue and the...
  7. T

Would you buy a GM lens?

I would consider the GM lenses, yes, but I will be waiting to see how prices settle, not to mention their quality control. Buying other Sony/Zony FE optics has proven very frustrating with multiple decentered copies. The 85mm 1.4 interests me, as it looks like a beautiful (but large) portrait...
  8. T

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Indeed the prices are hight, but: a) I suspect prices for Pentax's Tamronalikes will come down significantly, and; b) third party manufacturers will soon drop K mounts onto existing lens designs forcing healthy competition and opening up a much larger stable of lenses. It appears likely that...
  9. T

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

I think this camera is the middle part of a much bigger impact Pentax could have on the market and blogged about why I think that here. The beginning was the 645D and Z. I still think that Sony is the technology innovator, but Pentax is a great technology integrator. They make supremely well...
  10. T

D500 announced

I think the purpose of this camera is pretty clear: its a 7D II competitor and we know the 7D II is a very popular second body to the 1DX or sole body for some sports and wildlife shooters. By appearing to provide all the goodies of the 7D II in a body with a sensor that will have vastly better...
  11. T

What is the best?

I'd struggle to decide between the Ricoh GR and Pentax 645Z. Both have left me wanting nothing more.
  12. T

How does the Canon 16-35/4 work on Sony A7rII and what about other wide angles?

Just a quick one on the 24mm TSE II - ensure you stop down to f8 or more. I find f10-11 optimal if doing large amounts of rise. Even f8 is inferior when used this way. I find my copy to be sometimes inferior to my 24-70 L II at 24mm and sometimes notably superior. I think it is due to field...
  13. T

Pentax 645Z vs Alpa technical camera

I have to say, there appears to be something a bit off with the Pentax 28-45mm performance here. I own this kit and have never seen it looking anywhere near as mushy as some of these at the edges. Mine is razor sharp right to the edges and corners. Sure, I'd expect a Rodenstock prime to beat it...
  14. T

Pentax 645Z vs A7RII IQ and bang for the buck

On the subject of the 120mm macro, I agree... its like most older macro lenses: can be great at distance, but needs more stopping down than a non-macro. My newly acquired 150mm f2.8 eats the macro for breakfast at wide apertures for distant subjects and remains superior at f11. The 150mm f2.8...
  15. T

Pentax 645Z vs A7RII IQ and bang for the buck

I agree with previous comments that the 28-45 is better at 35mm than the 35mm A lens. Colour, contrast and CA are evidently better and resolution is a touch higher, but the A series lens is still superb and a much better option if you can do without the flexibility and SR of the zoom...